• ...and so much more!
  • VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I grew up with "woods gun". For us it meant something light, affordable and accurate enough for small game or hitting targets that might need shot. Growing up this was usually a small .22 rifle. My dad carried a Ruger Mk1 in addition to his shotgun when hunting. I know a couple guys who went with Ruger Security Six or S&W model 19 and 66.

Today my "woods gun" is my carry gun. I also have a Ruger Single Ten which would be awesome as a trail gun

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Coyotes (pack or not) aren't going to attack humans (if you're alive and kicking that is. They may eat a dead carcus, though). Hell, I saw a pack of 15-20 when I was on a run in Ohio in the middle of the night, and didn't think anything of it.

reason for a woods gun in southern Indiana:
    Meth cookers
    mountain lions
    mean loose dogs
    possible black bear if you're far enough south/east
    some people say snake, but that's only if you hate snakes and want to kill them. Otherwise, just go around them. It's not like they're going to chase you down.

I, sir, beg to differ.. I was fishing once and was very much chased by a damned snake, not a lawyer, or insurance salesman either, an actual snake. I whacked him with my ugly stick and he never stopped, b line, right for me. I had to fall back incase he was a rabid snake.

Well, there's always Sasquatch to consider...

I wouldnt shoot Robin Williams....

What caliber would you use on a Leprechaun?
    If your into books: .45 caliber, solid gold core with a silver jacket
    If your into movies: 4.2mm 23 karat gold dumdum bullet.

Why do people carry "mouse" guns?
    You've clearly never lived in an old house...

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    A "woods gun?" Seriously? It's Indiana... only things to worry about in these woods are surfaces roots, kids smoking pot on discrete hiking trails, and rabid raccoons/rodents.
    Any gun you carry on the streets will suffice for an "IN Woods Gun..."

I was born and raised in Anchorage, Alaska... that's where one should be asking questions on "woods guns."
    Just my honest opinion.

I was born and raised in Indiana (probably a long time before you were born in Alaska) and have mucked-about with guns most of my life and have never heard anyone (other than you) use the term "woods guns". It sounds like you've been hanging out with some drugstore cowboys from Michigan. :rolleyes:

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    I, sir, beg to differ.. I was fishing once and was very much chased by a damned snake, not a lawyer, or insurance salesman either, an actual snake. I whacked him with my ugly stick and he never stopped, b line, right for me. I had to fall back incase he was a rabid snake.

I wouldnt shoot Robin Williams....

If your into books: .45 caliber, solid gold core with a silver jacket
    If your into movies: 4.2mm 23 karat gold dumdum bullet.

You've clearly never lived in an old house...

OK< so you pissed a snake off. Living thinking beings get pissed according to their own individual make up and circumstance at the time they get pissed. You do what you have to do.

Sling10mm

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 12, 2012
    I have heard people talk about a "woods gun," but not in the context of a large caliber firearm for defending oneself against grizzly bears and such.

I have a "brush gun" (Marlin in 44 Rem Mag) that I hunt deer with, and a S&W "Mountain Gun" in 44 Rem Mag just because I wanted it. When hunting I carry what I guess one might call a "woods gun" just in case I come across something dangerous that I might have to shoot (aggressive dog, 2-legged critter, or whatever), but this is just my everyday carry firearm.

Are you really sure "everyone" in Indiana is "concerned" about having a large caliber "woods gun?"

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    OK.... many of you aren't getting the point I'm trying to make..?
    Typically a "woods gun" is something of large caliber and a magnum charge, mainly to protect against mountain lions (one in a billion chance you'll ever see one in IN), bears, wolves, motherly moose, preditors in general. In IN, we don't have these.
    Like many of you stated, your "woods gun" is to protect against another man. Well why do you call it a "woods gun" when a "man gun" is usually your "EDC gun."
    Catch my flow? Haha

Because, as many of us have pointed out, our typical choice when not in a developed area would typically lend itself to a bit more range than what would be determined necessary for typical SD ranges. Combined with the likelihood that one will encounter less than desirable conditions that might ruin the finish on a weapon, a woods gun", from what I have gathered here, is normally something that isnt so pretty, is accurate enough to hit smaller targets at more than 25 yards, and still has enough "umph" to handle 2 legged threats along with the other situations that may arise in the woods.

Not saying that I cannot hit a coyote at a reasonable distance with my J frame and 38 Special +Ps, but I certainly have more capable handguns that would make that task much easier, and still remain sufficient to stop other threats.

Lunati

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 28, 2012
    Warsaw
    I went out in the woods for a bit yesterday to see if I could start a fire, brought my 10/22 with me so I guess thats my "woods gun."

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Hey not to be overly argumentative here but a gun with you in the woods isn't really a bad idea. Coyotes and wild dogs are becoming abundant in Indiana. I was out in Brown County last year sitting around the fire with some friends at a pretty late hour and heard a hell of a ruckus, IE a pack of Coyotes or Dogs. So no, I doubt you will see a full grown bear but the canine / dog population is growing and could be problematic for a lone hiker or small party.

This.

All of you guys making jokes, just carrying .22's, etc.. can laugh all you want, but I'd much rather be overly cautious in a heavily wooded area than be in a ****ty situation with an insufficient caliber.

If I was going to go on a hiking trip today, my bare minimum would be my Glock 22 with a couple of spare mags. I traditionally carry a .380 in the summer and a single-stack 9 / Glock 27 in the winter here in Indy.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Are we gonna get into another caliber debate? Against humans, everything from 22 up will kill you if your hit in the right place. Its a matter of what your proficient with, and what your comfortable with.

At the low end: You got 22 and 380, they trade larger capacity and ease of use, for their spot on the lower end of the effectiveness scale.
    In the middle: Between 9mm 40 and 45, none of them are guaranteed one shot stoppers, despite what some believe.
    Larger bore: The tradeoff here is yes if you hit someone, they're going down immediately, but usually there lower capacity, and much harder to place shots with. Alot of people will not even be able to handle the recoil from some of them.

IMHO, if your in Indiana, your fine with a standard defensive caliber, 9mm, 40,45. You could get by with a 380 or a 22 if your proficient with it. A large bore handgun is mostly overkill here, although, if you are proficient with it, and you dont mind the lower capacity(mostly) Go for it.

I also agree that "woodsgun" was most likely created as a front to buy another gun... That being said, I might go pick me up one.

Top Bottom