• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    You know gun owners-- they'll use any excuse to get a new gun for a very narrow or specific requirement. Hence the woods gun, the BBQ gun, the truck gun, the BOB gun, the SHTF gun, the pocket gun, the Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter gun, etc.
    Just like my collection of Ruger "deer guns".

I haven't been deer hunting in 20 or more years, but the collection keeps expanding.:):

My wife is starting to catch on.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    "woods gun" in my mind, at least around these parts, is basically anything that I would carry on any other occasion for SD reasons. I do tend to favor a full sized pistol over a pocket gun, and if the situation allows, I will toss a rifle over my shoulder too. Depending on the time of year that rifle/pistol combination could be anything from a 9mm and my M15A2 to a SBH 44 Mag and my Rossi lever gun in the same caliber.

I dont have fantasies about running into lions and tigers and bears, but the fact that there are people in the woods that are up to no good cannot be ignored. I focus on SD, and targets of opportunity. Game animals in season have found their way to the dinner table, and a few coyotes have stolen their last chicken because of the woods gun that I chose to carry on that day.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I like shooting groundhogs or yotes, so usually have a .357 or .44 mag on when in the sticks.
    But fishing, summertime and hot.............I wish those 651 Smiths weren't so darn expensive ;)

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    Hi yall.
    I'm still in southeast Texas instead of White County, Indiana but guys, is a "woods gun" a case of short range devastation that's easy to carry?
    Down here there's plenty to hurt you on two or four legs, two wheels or four wheels. And whatever you're comfortable with is best.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The only time I've heard of a "woods gun" was deer hunting. It ment a rifle that shot heavy/fast bullets to cut thru thick brush.

So, that's a woods gun?

Ok, well, that is a perfectly valid concern for Indiana, no?

OP, if this is the definition, what's the problem???

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    OK.... many of you aren't getting the point I'm trying to make..?
    Typically a "woods gun" is something of large caliber and a magnum charge, mainly to protect against mountain lions (one in a billion chance you'll ever see one in IN), bears, wolves, motherly moose, preditors in general. In IN, we don't have these.
    Like many of you stated, your "woods gun" is to protect against another man. Well why do you call it a "woods gun" when a "man gun" is usually your "EDC gun."
    Catch my flow? Haha

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So, that's a woods gun?

Ok, well, that is a perfectly valid concern for Indiana, no?

OP, if this is the definition, what's the problem???

Never said there was a problem. Just don't understand the huge emphasis on it in these Midwest states. In Alaska, you carry a 500 S&W because a bear will tear your face off... or a moose will knock you out of your shoes for being within 60feet of it. Just trying to understand why it's a huge deal to some here. No hateing, just very curious as to what there is to protect against with this "woods carry gun."

NKBJ

at the ark
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 21, 2010
    OK.... many of you aren't getting the point I'm trying to make..?
    Typically a "woods gun" is something of large caliber and a magnum charge, mainly to protect against mountain lions (one in a billion chance you'll ever see one in IN), bears, wolves, motherly moose, preditors in general. In IN, we don't have these.
    Like many of you stated, your "woods gun" is to protect against another man. Well why do you call it a "woods gun" when a "man gun" is usually your "EDC gun."
    Catch my flow? Haha

What's a EDC?

nascarfantoo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 29, 2012
    Western IN
    You know gun owners-- they'll use any excuse to get a new gun for a very narrow or specific requirement. Hence the woods gun, the BBQ gun, the truck gun, the BOB gun, the SHTF gun, the pocket gun, the Spring/Summer/Fall/Winter gun, etc.

You forgot the "I just want another gun" gun.

Rhoadmar

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    The farm
    Coyotes (pack or not) aren't going to attack humans (if you're alive and kicking that is. They may eat a dead carcus, though). Hell, I saw a pack of 15-20 when I was on a run in Ohio in the middle of the night, and didn't think anything of it.

9 times out of ten I would agree with you about the coyotes. The 10th time is when a hunter on my MIL farm was chased into a tree by a pack of six and kept there until his buddy dove up in their truck. That is one bow hunter that won't leave his pistol at home again.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 3, 2008
    central indiana
    the only changes I normally consider for a "woods gun is;
    Larger frame / grip is an option, since I OC when in the woods. And I am probably going to have gloves on so a larger trigger guard area is nice.
    Carry more ammo than "street" carry.. if you do need your gun it will take longer for cops to get there..
    Carry something that is not going to be bothered by dirt & salt..
    As for caliber, something with enough penetration to kill a large dog.
    You are not going to run into a bear in Indiana, but feral dogs are a real risk.

MDave

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 1, 2009
    Hey not to be overly argumentative here but a gun with you in the woods isn't really a bad idea. Coyotes and wild dogs are becoming abundant in Indiana. I was out in Brown County last year sitting around the fire with some friends at a pretty late hour and heard a hell of a ruckus, IE a pack of Coyotes or Dogs. So no, I doubt you will see a full grown bear but the canine / dog population is growing and could be problematic for a lone hiker or small party.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Just trying to understand why it's a huge deal to some here. No hateing, just very curious as to what there is to protect against with this "woods carry gun."

Huge deal?

I thought we just defined a "woods gun" as a rifle?

If not, and it is some sort of pistol then I can tell you that there is always yammering about which gun to carry as the gun nuts think the gun does the fighting. Magic sword talk that you hear at every gun shop. It is all teeth talk/nonsense. Grin and shake your head.

Indiana's state park carry ban was repealed a few years ago, so maybe people are just getting their heads around carrying in state parks, don't know.

I carry a gun because of the stakes, not the odds.

Top Bottom