• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mrmonte

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 1, 2009
    Indy South Side
    I ditched the 40 S&W & 380. Now I only need to feed my semi-auto's in 2 calibers, I decided to stick with the 9mm & 45. Reason being, I like the hi-capicity and low recoil of the 9mm. Its a fun shooter. I had to keep the 45 on my short list, im not going to sell my 1911, that would be crazy talk.

Dawall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2010
    Lake County
    I have owned them since they first came out with them. It is here to stay and it is not that much more to shoot compare to the smaller 9.

groovatron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Oct 9, 2009
    calumet township
    .40 caliber is kinda the "limbo" round. Average capacity and average power. Right in the middle. I think some folks are not comfortable with that. If you crave more capacity, you end up with the 9mm in the end. If you are a power hound, it's .45 and 10mm all the way. They are all great rounds and I enjoy shooting all of them.

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    For me I see a lot of first time gun owners (many I know) buy .40 caliber. It is kind of a catch all caliber. As already stated, it fills the role of capacity and power combined.

After an owner gets comfortable I think they tend to move toward 9mm (price, capacity etc.) or to .45 (caliber, one shot one kill, stopping power, cracking engine blocks etc. etc.)

9mm for me (I admit I do like .45 too)

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For me I see a lot of first time gun owners (many I know) buy .40 caliber. It is kind of a catch all caliber. As already stated, it fills the role of capacity and power combined.

After an owner gets comfortable I think they tend to move toward 9mm (price, capacity etc.) or to .45 (caliber, one shot one kill, stopping power, cracking engine blocks etc. etc.)

9mm for me (I admit I do like .45 too)

There is no such thing as one shot one kill. The whole myth of the .45 being the supreme man stopper is just that, a myth. If you look at solid balistics testing the 147 grain 9mm, 180 grain .40, and 230 grain .45. Have basicly the same depth of penetration. Causing only a slightly larger wound cavity as you step up in caliber. Probably 90% of LE agencies, and including Homeland Security use the .40. If you want a one shot man stopper, then you might want to consider carrying a shotgun or high powerd rifle. This is not hollywood where pistol mags hold 50 rounds, and people get blown back 5 feet from a single handgun round. Enough said!

Bonehead

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 18, 2008
    Vincennes
    I ditched the only 40 I ever owned (Beretta 96) for 10mm 1911 about 5 years ago and haven't looked back since....................... now if I could only afford to shoot the 10mm as much as I would like too:D

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 23, 2009
    OHIO
    pppsh. get an FNP 45 and have the power of a 45 and the capacity of a 9mm. Tee Hee

but in all seriousness my next sidearm is going to be a compact 40s&w

Lock n Load

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    146   0   0
    May 1, 2008
    FFort
    Everybody is drinking the 9mm Kool-Aid :koolaid:.

That applies to something new.... and the 9mm has been around for a very long time....

I guess 25+ years of the 9mm kool-aid makes me a connissuer !!! :rockwoot:

I dumped .40 because many of my handguns were 9mm and then I like the .45s which I reload for, and also have .22 and .44 mag so thats enough handgun calibers to stock up on.

More of it may have to do w/ economics, either selling for cash to pay bills or downsizing their calibers, also to save $$ on ammo.

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    everyone i know love em and swear by them. I bought a 9mm for the cheapness/availability of ammo only to find .40 at walmart more often than 9mm. As far i i know no one seems to be getting rid of their .40's. just my:twocents:

sporter

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southern, Indiana
    There is no such thing as one shot one kill. The whole myth of the .45 being the supreme man stopper is just that, a myth. If you look at solid balistics testing the 147 grain 9mm, 180 grain .40, and 230 grain .45. Have basicly the same depth of penetration. Causing only a slightly larger wound cavity as you step up in caliber. Probably 90% of LE agencies, and including Homeland Security use the .40. If you want a one shot man stopper, then you might want to consider carrying a shotgun or high powerd rifle. This is not hollywood where pistol mags hold 50 rounds, and people get blown back 5 feet from a single handgun round. Enough said!

Your sarcasm meter is broken.

Soonerdoggy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Richmond, IN
    I like my .40 cal Sig P250 but I want to trade it for a HK P30 compact .40. I have a p30 in 9mm and that ergonomic grip is awesome. Nothing wrong with a .40 cal. Nothing at all. My cousin is an ex ranger but now a mercenary in Afgan and he carries a glock .40 cal.

Top Bottom