• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    The statement "Why I would NEVER CC" leaves no room for prioritization.
    All that means is I will either OC or NOT carry.
    Do you understand that? If I mistated the alternatives please tell me.

I understand that you took the comment WAAAAAAAY too literally. Context is everything. And so is timing. Coming off the OC boondoggle by matt-what's-his-number sorta should have been the big clue that it wasn't meant literally.

Then to post that I CC even though I would NEVER CC is contradictory. Do you understand that? That is a contradiction isn't it?

Do you understand hyperbole?

You insinuate that you are incapable of feeding your family if you don't work where you work now. I give you more credit than that, I think you are smart enough to retrain yourself and switch fields if necessary. May you lose income? possibly but I doubt you will starve. Perhaps you can't do it tomorrow but it's not an impossibility.

Generalization must not be in your vocabulary.

I do NOT insinuate that one is incapable of feeding one's family if one doesn't remain employed at his current locale. However, I do explicitly state that when faced the the IMMEDIATE option of choosing that particular employment or retaining the right to carry at the place, many will choose the employment because the IMMEDIATE need to feed one's family.

No one is saying (and a careful reading of my previous post will show that I actually addressed this point) that one could never find employment that allowed carry. But the opportunity cost of doing so is necessarily not feeding one's family.

However, if you want to prioritize principles, then don't use the word never.

You're no fun at parties, are you?

You know what I find funny? The guy who is finding fault with an absolute (that wasn't meant literally), makes one himself. How was it you phrased it? Do you understand that you can prioritize and still use the word 'never?'

That's what I am saying.
    I know what you're saying and it's ridiculous.

Classic Liberal

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    images

WestSider

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Apr 16, 2008
    Putnam County
    Personally I don't agree with either of these. I know several guys with enough "balls" to do whatever they want but simply choose not to OC.

As to your first point do you have anything besides your own unsupported opinion to back it up? I know I have lots of counterpoints. In fact, I wonder how in fact people who never have OCed know so much about it and how people react to it?

I can't tell if you didn't take the time to read my post or you are just trying to be contrary. The fact you disagree with the 2nd point means you agree with me, you are confirming what I said which was just because people don't OC doesn't mean they lack the balls to do it. ;)

No I don't have anything to back it up, I never claimed to. I prefaced my comments by saying that these were merely my opinions, I doubt you have statistical data to back up your "lots of counterpoints". This is just a discussion man, let's not make it a pissing contest.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    So let me see if I have this straight. We're "arguing" over the same old OC/CC argument with someone that states in his title that he would NEVER CC, but then later admits to CC'ing?

Umm.... whatever.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I never said that I didn't make a decision. I didn't start this thread entitled "Why I would never CC", a person who later admitted to often CCing to work did. :rolleyes:

I don't believe I said you started this thread

You stated that I can chose where I work just like I can chose where I do business. You seem to miss that fact that one if nearly effortless, and the other requires almost complete destruction of ones life. You say that choosing between OC'ing at work and putting food on the table is a false dichotomy.

Didn't miss any facts. I don't believe you can find where I have posted that choices don't have consequences.

If I chose to get a job where I could OC, I would take a minimum of a $40k pay cut. Unless there are other advanced computer programmer jobs out there that allow OC. I have not seen them, having been associated with this industry for 2 decades and working in it full time for 15 years.

Now this means you have made your choice and evaluated your consequences. You have placed a price on a principle and sacrificed it for the sake of a "higher prioritized" principle as the other folks might say.

It is NOT a false dichotomy to say that I either CC or I don't put food on my table. Hell, a $40k income lost and I don't have my table anymore or my house.

Dichotomy - Splitting things into two non-overlapping parts.

Did I say the dichotomy was "I either CC or I don't put food on my table." ? What did I say was the dichotomy? If I did, show me and I will apologize and concede the point, otherwise argue with what I said not what you think I said.

I guess if you consider losing my home, selling our cars, selling the tools that I will not have space to own anymore, as not really changing. Then sure, it is a false dichotomy. But I don't see it that way.

Once again choices have consequences. For example by choosing to respond to you I am 95% certain I will get a response. Thats a consequence I am choosing to live with.

Words still mean something and never still means never no matter how much someone trys to change the conversation. Its a simple Venn Diagram in my head, but I can admit if I am wrong.

If I NEVER CC then I am either OC'ing only when I am carrying or I don't carry. Have I missed any of the alternatives?

Vladislas

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I open carry when home in Indiana but I travel down south a lot and some states do not let you open carry there. But I have gotten comfortable with a shoulder holster with a over sized shirt on.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I believe that you have to choose between the choices that you have at the time. Future choices aren't choices because you can't guarantee they'll materialize. So while it's theoretically possible someone could continue to seek employment at a job where the RKBA is respected, he does at the cost of putting food on his table by not taking the job offered at the time.

If you're only offered one job (or only jobs that prohibit RKBA at work), there ARE only two alternatives. Of course, NOT putting food on the table and waiting for a job that allows RKBA is technically a choice. But that's where th e prioritization comes in. See how that works?

Strictly speaking, yes. But when it comes to feeding one's family as a highest priority, no, there may not be.

I want to buy some Chinese tea. Do you happen to know the price?

The present choices you make today are consequential to choices you made in the past and the choices you make today will limit the choices that will be available to you in the future.

You decide at what price you sell out your principles based on what their priority level is to put it into your language.

Why waste time applying at a job that forces you to sacrifice your principle if you insist on OC'ing 100% of the time?

That was a decision in the past that now has forced your job decision in the present.( It was also a present choice that precipated a future one which negates the job application of your illustration) Apply only at OC friendly jobs. Law Enforcement folks seem to be able to feed their families and have a home and be able to eat.

Or just don't say "I will NEVER CC" then CC.

Simply OC when away from work and CC while at work or don't even carry at work. You must be assigning some amount of risk to putting food on your table if you are risking getting fired for CCing with a company whose policies forbid it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I understand that you took the comment WAAAAAAAY too literally. Context is everything. And so is timing. Coming off the OC boondoggle by matt-what's-his-number sorta should have been the big clue that it wasn't meant literally

Do you understand hyperbole?

Yes

Generalization must not be in your vocabulary.

It is. Is absolute in yours? I am glad that you ask about hyperbole and sorry you assume on generalization. Questions are much more conducive to constructive dialog.

I
    do NOT insinuate that one is incapable of feeding one's family if one doesn't remain employed at his current locale. However, I do explicitly state that when faced the the IMMEDIATE option of choosing that particular employment or retaining the right to carry at the place, many will choose the employment because the IMMEDIATE need to feed one's family.

The immediacy of the problem was brought on by choices long before the immediacy of the current crisis. A failure to plan is not an excuse. To put it another way don't use the words "always" and "never" if you don't mean them. Have I and do I make that mistake myself? Yes but I also always ask my friends to stop me right there so I can break that habit and never do it again.

No one is saying (and a careful reading of my previous post will show that I actually addressed this point) that one could never find employment that allowed carry. But the opportunity cost of doing so is necessarily not feeding one's family.

So in essence we actually agree.

You're no fun at parties, are you?

Been told that I am actually but I usually don't OC when attending.
    You know what I find funny? The guy who is finding fault with an absolute (that wasn't meant literally), makes one himself. How was it you phrased it? Do you understand that you can prioritize and still use the word 'never?'

What absolute statement was it that I made so I can admit my error. That's another thing I am very willing to do.

I know what you're saying and it's ridiculous.

Perhaps taking someone at their word is ridiculous these days. But when its all I have to go by, its what I go by. The 90% nonvocal communication just don't come through in the title of the thread.

CPT Nervous

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 7, 2012
    The Southern Bend
    You're still at it? What exactly are you trying to prove? If you were following this, you would know it's hyperbolic. If you knew me, you would know that this thread was largely in jest. What is it you do? Read threads and post your disapproval on word usage?

Many things I do at work, I don't do in my personal life. CC is one of those things. It's part of a job.

Also, I would rather lose my job than my life. If I need my gun at work, I'd rather have it.

I don't get why you're so persistent with this. Why is this such an issue? I exaggerated a point. Big deal. Stop whining about it.

I've never seen someone as persistently irritating as you. You always take things too far and **** everyone off. I never intended for this thread to become a debate on principles.

See what I did there?

You want me to rename the thread?

How about;

Reasons why I never CC. Actually, I do CC. Only at work. I don't count that, though, because it isn't my personal time, but some people do, so I guess you could say that yes, I do CC. But, I only CC at work. There's a clear distinction. So, actually, these are reasons that I don't CC outside of work, because, I do CC at work, but never when I'm not at work, such as when I'm home, or running errands, or just hanging out with my friends.

Would that be better? Did you report this thread to a mod? If the title bothers you so much, report it, and see if you can get it changed. Of course, the mods understand that it is hyperbolic, so they won't change it.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    You're still at it? What exactly are you trying to prove? If you were following this, you would know it's hyperbolic. If you knew me, you would know that this thread was largely in jest. What is it you do? Read threads and post your disapproval on word usage?

Many things I do at work, I don't do in my personal life. CC is one of those things. It's part of a job.

Also, I would rather lose my job than my life. If I need my gun at work, I'd rather have it.

I don't get why you're so persistent with this. Why is this such an issue? I exaggerated a point. Big deal. Stop whining about it.

I've never seen someone as persistently irritating as you. You always take things too far and **** everyone off. I never intended for this thread to become a debate on principles.

See what I did there?

You want me to rename the thread?

How about;

Reasons why I never CC. Actually, I do CC. Only at work. I don't count that, though, because it isn't my personal time, but some people do, so I guess you could say that yes, I do CC. But, I only CC at work. There's a clear distinction. So, actually, these are reasons that I don't CC outside of work, because, I do CC at work, but never when I'm not at work, such as when I'm home, or running errands, or just hanging out with my friends.

Would that be better? Did you report this thread to a mod? If the title bothers you so much, report it, and see if you can get it changed. Of course, the mods understand that it is hyperbolic, so they won't change it.

I posted my question. People responded to my posts so I simply returned the favor. Wasn't responding to you directly only the title of the thread and a subsequent post or two. You don't really know me either I suppose.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    I do not care:

if you drive a Maserati or a Yugo or if you don't drive at all.

if you pray on Sundays or if you don't pray on Sundays.

if you prefer corn or green beans.

if you like boys or girls.

if you like plastic or steel.

if you like cable or satellite.

if you like Coke or Pepsi.

if you smoke or you don't.

if you drink or you don't.

I don't care if you prefer revolvers or bottom feeders.

I don't care if you like .45, .40, .357, 9mm, .380 or whatever.

I don't care if you OC, I don't care if you CC.

My only concern is that you HAVE THE RIGHT TO CHOOSE.

You can duct tape your Lorcin to your forehead and wear a pretty pink shirt that says: Ask me about my gun....PLEASE!

I DON'T CARE!

The real question that inquiring minds want to know?

Why do you?

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    tpvilla
    Top Bottom