Why I sold my AR15-22 and this now stupid hobby.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 03A3

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2009
    Shaker Prairie
    OP hang in there. While we are in uncertain times it is very likely that the ammo situation will improve. It wil be a gradual process with some bumps along the way.
    Many people will not be able to shoot as much as they would like to but you don't have to give it up entirely.
    Firearms and shooting are a hobby in a sense. Firearms ownership is also your heritage.
    We are a nation of rifleman, and taking your son to shoot is keeping that heritage alive.
    Hang tough. Don't let politics and panic buyers push you out of somthing you enjoy.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I only hav 26 rounds'of .22lr but I'm ok with that since the only .22 I own is a little pocket pistol I use for plinking. Now if I had a .22 rifle I would have planned accordingly.

cmc589

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2012
    I try and keep a good deal of .22 in storage at all times just so I can go out and shoot whenever I feel like it. Now I usually only have around 1k in storage, but that is plenty for going to the range a few times and i can make it last when ammo is scarce. Right now I have 1.5k just because i got a good deal on a 1400 round bucket a few months ago that I've yet to use. I would suggest buying ammo when you see it on sale if you don't have very much so you can just grab some and head to the range.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    That is really appreciated!!!! I did manage to find some but thanks for the offer!! :)

I agree, I will have to pick some extra up should/when this happens again.

My gripe I guess then is my own ignorance that 22LR would disappear like it did .

Who knew this would go all the way down to rim-fire calibers.
    get a good amount on hand. Never know what is in the wind.

Again....we go to MCFG often as possible. Quality time with family has no price tag.

Lemmitt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2012
    New Albany
    Pretty much the best point in the thread. Aside from the obvious 'lol capitalism' posts, which I agree with.

I try and keep a good deal of .22 in storage at all times just so I can go out and shoot whenever I feel like it. Now I usually only have around 1k in storage, but that is plenty for going to the range a few times and i can make it last when ammo is scarce. Right now I have 1.5k just because i got a good deal on a 1400 round bucket a few months ago that I've yet to use. I would suggest buying ammo when you see it on sale if you don't have very much so you can just grab some and head to the range.

Just like anything...buying in bulk is the way to go. I wish Sam's Club sold ammo :rockwoot:

Archer46176

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 21, 2012
    South East of Indy
    Sounds like a troll to me. Personally I have bought ATLEAST a boc of bulk if not more per week for the past several years. If you get into any "hobby" as you call it there are always going to be ups and downs. Maybe instead of griping you could do a little research and find some deals online. Theh ARE still out thereyou just actually have TO DO some work to find them. I get really tired of all the whining and griping I hear about this crap... Oh boo hoo I cant find any ammo because these mean people BEAT ME TO IT. Get off your duff and get out there and get it!!! If you cant afford the "hobby", which bh the way is a lifestyle for nearly everyone else, then sell all your stuff and do go fishing. Or maybe take up model building, I would rather not take a chance on you being anywhere near me and my family while we are enjoying our own fishing. That too is a lifestyle for us as we eat what we catch and we may just make it to the "honey hole" before you which would cause you to release another rant about that.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    Put me down as a bunker dweller if it makes you feel better. I bought my .22 ammo when it was on sale over the last few years. So now I don't have to buy at these high prices. I just consider it being prepared.
    Guess you would consider me a "Bunker Dweller" as I have a fairly amount of ammo stockpiled. I do buy in bulk. But for over 20 years I have made it somewhat of a priority to purchase ammo when it is on sale or quite "cheap" due to large amounts being imported. By making it a priority - I mean I didn't buy NEW cars, spend money on Theater or Ball park tickets, or a lot on other "hobbies". I don't think the people like me and Expat are the reason the prices are so high. JUST the OPPOSITE. I am not purchasing the high priced ammo now. I can and will wait until the prices drop. The only item I may pay more for and still buy is some .223 bullets (projectiles, not ammo) as we are a little short on them. Have plenty of primers and powder (and quite a few loaded cartridges) but like to keep our brass reloaded. I have bricks or 22LR's from 10 or so years ago to some purchased last fall (when on sale at Rural King).

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I understand what you are saying here but...

hob·by1 [hob-ee] Show IPA
    noun, plural hob·bies.
    an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

Unless your job demands you carry a gun, it's a hobby. We choose to carry a weapon, we choose to master the craft, we choose to practice for no other reason than to be good at it when the time is needed. Glorify it how you want, its a hobby, albeit a dangerous one, it's still a hobby.

I met a great guy today when I was out looking for ammo, he told me he was a cowboy shooter which sounds like a lot of fun, not something I would do but fun for him and would be fun to watch him do but it is a hobby. There is no time clock or bad guy wearing a cowboy costume in a dark alley. Yes, what he does adds to his capabilities but I do not think what he told me he was carrying today would be best shot from the hip.
    Many will disagree with your definition. Many things we do that are not our occupation are not "hobbies". For instance I worked on my automobile many times. Sometimes in the icy, snow covered driveway. It was done because I didn't want to pay a few hundred dollars out of pocket. I rewired and remodeled my home. Same reasons - not a HOBBY. Much of gun ownership is and can be called a "hobby" but there is far more to it. I do not carry a gun because I "enjoy a hobby". I do collect firearms, and have taught all my children firearm use and safety. They are all grown - in fact some are grandparents, but this was not done just because it was a "hobby". No more than why I taught them automotive maintenance, wiring, plumbing and carpentry. If the only reason you have firearms is for a hobby, you may want to rethink your stand.

RabbleRouser

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 24, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I made the mistake of going to the range with my brother a little before christmas, we had a great day but shot up all my .45 and nearly all my 9mm. When I went to replenish it I learned that there wasn't any to be had ANYWHERE....oops

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I made the mistake of going to the range with my brother a little before christmas, we had a great day but shot up all my .45 and nearly all my 9mm. When I went to replenish it I learned that there wasn't any to be had ANYWHERE....oops
    Just looked at the ammo at the local Wally world (Frankfort) and they did have a few boxes of 45 ACP and 9mm in stock. I don't need any - bought 1K of 9mm brass and probably 3 or 4k of 45acp a few years ago, kept adding to it - have several thousand rounds re-loaded right now. Worst overstock I did was on 45LC, only thing we shoot in that caliber is a Ruger single action Blackhawk. I bought out a guy who had a gun shop and a divorce a few years later. Bought all his supplies - think I got about 2K reloaded, and a few k left.:dunno:

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    Sounds like a troll to me. Personally I have bought ATLEAST a boc of bulk if not more per week for the past several years. If you get into any "hobby" as you call it there are always going to be ups and downs. Maybe instead of griping you could do a little research and find some deals online. Theh ARE still out thereyou just actually have TO DO some work to find them. I get really tired of all the whining and griping I hear about this crap... Oh boo hoo I cant find any ammo because these mean people BEAT ME TO IT. Get off your duff and get out there and get it!!! If you cant afford the "hobby", which bh the way is a lifestyle for nearly everyone else, then sell all your stuff and do go fishing. Or maybe take up model building, I would rather not take a chance on you being anywhere near me and my family while we are enjoying our own fishing. That too is a lifestyle for us as we eat what we catch and we may just make it to the "honey hole" before you which would cause you to release another rant about that.
    This attitude is one of the reasons firearms ownership is on the decline in this country. He is new, and doesn't know how it all works yet. Sorry not everyone is an expert the day they start. A bulk box a week at $15 for a year is nearly $800. For some people that is a lot of money. Don't get on people for an attitude when you have a terrible one yourself. We're trying to keep a new person interested in the sport, and here you are trying to push him away. We're a community and our duty is to educate.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    I understand what you are saying here but...

hob·by1 [hob-ee] Show IPA
    noun, plural hob·bies.
    an activity or interest pursued for pleasure or relaxation and not as a main occupation:

Unless your job demands you carry a gun, it's a hobby. We choose to carry a weapon, we choose to master the craft, we choose to practice for no other reason than to be good at it when the time is needed. Glorify it how you want, its a hobby, albeit a dangerous one, it's still a hobby.

I met a great guy today when I was out looking for ammo, he told me he was a cowboy shooter which sounds like a lot of fun, not something I would do but fun for him and would be fun to watch him do but it is a hobby. There is no time clock or bad guy wearing a cowboy costume in a dark alley. Yes, what he does adds to his capabilities but I do not think what he told me he was carrying today would be best shot from the hip.

Maybe for you. Not sure how you operate or your safety rules, but if you abide Jeff Cooper's four rules of firearm safety, then it is no more dangerous than most other hobbies, some bearing far more risk. More likely to need skin grafts from model rocketry than firearms.

Sorry you're having trouble finding stuff at a decent price, but we all are.
    It's the nature of a free-market system.

arsenal69

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 14, 2011
    Your doing just want they want you to..... get mad and get out of the hobby. That what they want all of us to do.

Jeff

Home of the P7
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 28, 2008
    South Indy
    Ammo and deals on that ammo are still out there. I have purchased over 1000rds of 9mm just this week and will be adding to that the next few weeks. It's nice to have friends all over this country that will help you out.

Hang in there, it will get better. :)

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Central Indiana
    Boo. Hoo.

I'll be honest with you - I haven't been shooting much - and with the panic, I'm not shooting at all. But I've got plenty of ammo put aside and once the price panic comes back to normal, I'll be buying more. Part of being a firearms enthusiast is learning the hard lesson that this stuff doesn't get any cheaper and that there will be some sort of panic catalyst every 4-5 years. If you don't have enough hand to ride that out, the only person to blame is yourself.

Take responsibility. By what you can and shoot a reasonable amount given your ability to resupply and your stock on hand.

I've probably got somewhere in the realm of 20k rds of .22 lr and I'm not shooting any of it. And, no, it's not for sale.

Sdixon

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 24, 2009
    Wayne county
    As others have said if you buy in bulk instead of picking up a box every time you go to the range you dont have to worry about running out when these kind of things happen.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    Let this be a lesson to keep more than 500 rds of ammo for the gun and move on.

I agree.

This thread comes up all the time in one form or another. People whining about the panic. Not stoking up. Panic buying. The admonishments go on.

Unfortunately, typing out a few sentences on a forum does not tell the whole story. Most of us are not professional writers, so the reader can't ascertain voice inflection, body language, and they only have part of the information.

Some conversations are better face to face over a beer or a cup of coffee.

I being new to shooting have learned the lesson. When prices get reasonable again, I will be stocking up!

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I agree.

This thread comes up all the time in one form or another. People whining about the panic. Not stoking up. Panic buying. The admonishments go on.

Unfortunately, typing out a few sentences on a forum does not tell the whole story. Most of us are not professional writers, so the reader can't ascertain voice inflection, body language, and they only have part of the information.

Some conversations are better face to face over a beer or a cup of coffee.

I being new to shooting have learned the lesson. When prices get reasonable again, I will be stocking up!

Those complaining about gun and ammo prices will be the same ones complaining about food prices should shtf. They won't stock up on any food and then demand those who prepared to share at pre panic prices.

The OP has a 10/22 and just sold an ar15-22. What does an ar15-22 do that a 10/22 doesn't? The $500+ he spent on it would have bought one hell of a lot of 22 ammo to put through the 10/22. I absolutely don't understand the point in a 22 lr ar15 but to each his own.

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    The OP has a 10/22 and just sold an ar15-22. What does an ar15-22 do that a 10/22 doesn't? The $500+ he spent on it would have bought one hell of a lot of 22 ammo to put through the 10/22. I absolutely don't understand the point in a 22 lr ar15 but to each his own.

From what I here 10/22's are great. I saw several people using a the AR15-22 at Steel Challenge this past summer. I don't really see the need to have both, but then again I don't see why I would have 8 shotguns like my brother has.:)

I have a Weatherby .22. I am happy with that. If my wife would get into shooting with me, I would look at getting a 10/22 for her.

Top Bottom