• ...and so much more!
  • 92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    Do you use safety's on a rifle?
    I do if it's equipped with one. On my AR I train to disengage it when I bring it onto target, and disengage when I got back to the low ready. It even goes on for reloads. It's sometimes a PITA, but it's there and as such I believe it needs to be addressed. A slung AR also presents a host of additional concerns for a snagged trigger (especially in tactical gear with a bunch of crap hanging off your chest) compared to a safely holstered handgun. I also try to maintain positive control of the rifle with at least one hand whenever possible, because I still don't like to be wholly dependent upon that safety lever alone to prevent an ND.

I don't have a problem with a manual safety on a handgun, but it does simplify the manual of arms not to have one (which can be vital under stress), and if someone does elect to carry a gun with one they need to train to use it.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Exactly my point. Springfield released the Hellcat WITHOUT a grip safety when the XDS (smaller size) had one.

Plenty have already posted why you don't need a manual safety on a striker fired pistol... no problems if someone prefers one though.
    LOL, Its been a good GUN discussion so far.
    But I still find in very interesting with so many safety's on different firearms, that are out there. I would rather have the option to have one and not use it, than not have one and wish I had one.

I'll ask you, do you use the safety's on your rifles?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I do if it's equipped with one. On my AR I train to disengage it when I bring it onto target, and disengage when I got back to the low ready. It even goes on for reloads. It's sometimes a PITA, but it's there and as such I believe it needs to be addressed. A slung AR also presents a host of additional concerns for a snagged trigger (especially in tactical gear with a bunch of crap hanging off your chest) compared to a safely holstered handgun. I also try to maintain positive control of the rifle with at least one hand whenever possible, because I still don't like to be wholly dependent upon that safety lever alone to prevent an ND.

I don't have a problem with a manual safety on a handgun, but it does simplify the manual of arms not to have one (which can be vital under stress), and if someone does elect to carry a gun with one they need to train to use it.
    With the M16 platform is was drummed into me as a kid and even more so while in the service. The same goes with my sons, while serving in the MC its beat into them that your weapon goes on safe anytime your not shooting.
    Every time I pickup one of my black evil death rifles and one of my sons is shooting, its a guarantee that its been put on safety. It can be sitting locked open with a chamber flag and the safety been flipped on.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    LOL, Its been a good GUN discussion so far.
    But I still find in very interesting with so many safety's on different firearms, that are out there. I would rather have the option to have one and not use it, than not have one and wish I had one.

I'll ask you, do you use the safety's on your rifles?

The manufacturers give people options for a reason, so they can choose. It's why Ford has multiple engine options on their F150 and many trim / individual options as well.

Yes, I leave my rifles on "safe" and not "fire" when they are in the safe and being carried out to the back 40. I have two boys under 10, and rifles can't go in a holster, which covers the trigger.

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Do you use safety's on a rifle?
    A rifle is not a handgun. A handgun is holstered until it is needed, then drawn and deployed. When the threat no longer exists, the handgun goes back into the holster. There is no need for a manual safety.

As it has been pointed out, the rifle has no such protective hoslter/sheath/cover when carried in the typical manner. Thus, the trigger is exposed to snags on gear, clothing, etc and accidental trigger pulls. I activate the safety on a rifle if I am carrying it, and deactivate the safety only when preparing to fire.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I find that phenomenon amazing with what, the thousands and thousands of times Sig Sauer, Engineering companys and others have dropped the 320 with trying to have it discharge and no one has ever mentioned the front of the slide popping off the front rails.
    I do know this, Mechanical failures can be reproduced.
    Just telling you what I saw. It took the gunsmith and I about 10 minutes to get it righted. In the process the slide stop was broken so it was returned to Sig for repair.
    If you are comfortable with a 320 I'm good with your choice. Sharing information and experiences is what I consider one of the primary perks of INGO. I don't know what you think my motive would be but it sounds like you may think I made the story up but it's really unimportant at this point. You do you and I wish you the best.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Just telling you what I saw. It took the gunsmith and I about 10 minutes to get it righted. In the process the slide stop was broken so it was returned to Sig for repair.
    If you are comfortable with a 320 I'm good with your choice. Sharing information and experiences is what I consider one of the primary perks of INGO. I don't know what you think my motive would be but it sounds like you may think I made the story up but it's really unimportant at this point. You do you and I wish you the best.
    I was not implying anything, for me if I was, I would have just outright said so my friend. Its been a good "Gun" conversation for a change here.
    Thanks for replying.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    I'm genuinely curious about the details. Do you remember what the slide length was on the gun involved (full, carry/compact, or sub-compact)? Were the rear rails still engaged? Do you remember what direction you had to drive the slide to get it to re-engage the front frame rails? Looking at my carry model I'm just not able to figure out how that could have happened.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I was not implying anything, for me if I was, I would have just outright said so my friend. Its been a good "Gun" conversation for a change here.
    Thanks for replying.
    Lots of good opinions shared this evening in this thread!

Merry Christmas all. May Santa bring you the Sig, Glock, Springfield, or Taurus you've been desiring (or accessory)!

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A rifle is not a handgun. A handgun is holstered until it is needed, then drawn and deployed. When the threat no longer exists, the handgun goes back into the holster. There is no need for a manual safety.

As it has been pointed out, the rifle has no such protective hoslter/sheath/cover when carried in the typical manner. Thus, the trigger is exposed to snags on gear, clothing, etc and accidental trigger pulls. I activate the safety on a rifle if I am carrying it, and deactivate the safety only when preparing to fire.
    I'll say this yet again, I don't carry my M17 in a holster with the safety on. Now I do toss it between the trucks seats, in the console, on the passenger seat and so on. Then, I flip the safety on.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    if someone does elect to carry a gun with one they need to train to use it.
    I agree with this statement. If it’s got one you HAVE to train during the draw stroke to remove it. I have several 1911’s, I have a BHP and I love those old nostalgic pistols. IF I carry one of them, I carry Condition 0 when I get into a “YELLOW’ awareness situation.

The pistols I normally carry, I do not have an external manual safety on: Glock (few nowadays), Sig (P320 & P365 X MACRO TACOPS (more often than not), P80 PF940 V2 or CL, serialized frames, (95% of the time).
    I prefer the grip angle of the P80 over both the Glock and the Sig but the Sig far and away above the Glock.
    I have thousands of rounds through my P80’s and have drop tested all of my carry guns from 8ft onto hard carpeted floors. No issues to this point and I expect none either.

Because of my age and my Dad, I transitioned from S&W revolvers to a 1911 (which I detest) to the Glock 22 when son #2 hired on with the SD to what I carry today.
    I am intimately involved in building my carry pistols too and I like that “closeness” to my self protection tools.
    1703470773023.jpeg
    1703470810881.jpeg
    1703470851802.jpeg
    1703470906134.jpeg

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I haven't carried a 1911 since the late 1970's When at work, it was in Condition 1
    I don't carry my M17 with the safety on, as I posted earlier.
    I use it just when I'm re-holstering.
    That’s the first time I’ve seen you really spell your procedure out; safety on, reholster, safety off.

I was mistakingly thinking for many conversations here that you wouldn’t carry an un-safetied pistol.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I'll say this yet again, I don't carry my M17 in a holster with the safety on. Now I do toss it between the trucks seats, in the console, on the passenger seat and so on. Then, I flip the safety on.
    I pull off my IWB holster with the pistol inside if I need to disarm while on the road (post office, etc). No reason to remove it from the holster.

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.
    I’m sad to report that Route 45’s head exploded about 9:20 Christmas Eve.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Springfield really!!! You just had to ruin the thread...

Merry Christmas to everyone.
    Don't knock it until you've tried it!

Not the old XD, though. XDm, XDS, Hellcat... only the newer stuff.

Ironically, they've got these billboards all around their HQ in gun UNfriendly Illinois...
    366d458e6c1aeea2a2e8c97916ab0420.jpg

Top Bottom