• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    For the reason that it has more redundant safety features than any of the other striker fire that I know of. Its everything a Glock and all of their copy's want to be, but aren't. Ive posted that I own a Taurus G3C pistol, I own one because its a micro that comes with a manual safety.

Spend 26 min and watch this video, it breaks the 320 fire control group down.

Where did you see that Glock and others want to be like a P320?

None of my striker fired pistols have ever discharged without me pulling the trigger and I don't have any Sigs. Even when dropped, they don't go off.

Sounds like you prefer a pistol with a safety, not everyone one does. Personally, I like mine ready to go when I need them, without a manual safety.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    I posted the video that does a complete breakdown of all of the 320's trigger system, seems your just not interested in learning. Thats fine also.

But in all honesty, Sig out did glock by a long shot with the 320 pistol.

Lots of things can pull a trigger my friend, but I'm quite certain that with a manual safety flipped on, the odds of a negligent discharge drop immensely.
    Can't do that with a Glock or its copy's.

And yet those without manual safeties still outsell those with manual safeties...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    I've run thousands of rounds fowntange without any issues here, likely billions of rounds worldwide without issues.

I haven't seen anything that makes the P320 the be all end all that some are claiming it is.

It's been recalled, like many other pistols. If it works for you, great. Doesn't mean it's the best one out there...
    Unfortunately some consider a difference of opinion as a personal insult to their intelligence.. Different strokes for different folks. As long as someone isn't trying to dictate my choices I don't care what they are doing. My goal was simply stating what I saw for informational purposes.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I do have a bit of an engineering background but you are correct, I'm not interested in spending a half hour learning about a 320 trigger because of my experience with them. Learning about the trigger won't explain the slide frame disengagement I witnessed. Still waiting on the link about the "pops"
    Yea,me too. Worked mechanical my whole life before and after serving.
    Are we sure the slide was installed correctly to begin with???
    Now are you really saying that Glocks haven't had 100's of accidental / negligent discharges? LOLOL

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Where did you see that Glock and others want to be like a P320?

None of my striker fired pistols have ever discharged without me pulling the trigger and I don't have any Sigs. Even when dropped, they don't go off.

Sounds like you prefer a pistol with a safety, not everyone one does. Personally, I like mine ready to go when I need them, without a manual safety.
    Nothing wrong with and active safety but it's one more thing to think about in the loop of a high stress situation where your life could be in danger.

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Nothing wrong with and active safety but it's one more thing to think about in the loop of a high stress situation where your life could be in danger.
    Yep, it's a choice one has to make. Personally, I do without for the reason you stated above. Keep your finger off the bang switch and don't be in a hurry to reholster...

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Yea,me too. Worked mechanical my whole life before and after serving.
    Are we sure the slide was installed correctly to begin with???
    Now are you really saying that Glocks haven't had 100's of accidental / negligent discharges? LOLOL
    The 320 was a rental gun and had be functioning perfectly before being dropped.
    In my mind there are no accidental discharges only negligent ones. Nothing accidental about a gun going off when the trigger is depressed. There's probably been 10s of thousands negligent discharges attributed to Glocks but I can tell you for certain that one has never went off without some human interaction ergo negligence.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Are manufacturers rushing to add safeties? Hell, Springfield did away with their grip safety with the launch of the Hellcat...
    Hellcats are a wee bit smaller than a 1911 frame pistol. You don't see a grip safety on dozens of compact and micro pistols.

Once a product is released, its tough for a manufacturer to go back and make a radical change like a manual safety on a pistol. Will it not instantly say, the pistols we built before were just not as safe?

Why would you not want the option to have a manual safety on a striker fired pistol?

Route 45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Dec 5, 2015
    Indy
    Why would you not want the option to have a manual safety on a striker fired pistol?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    The 320 was a rental gun and had be functioning perfectly before being dropped.
    In my mind there are no accidental discharges only negligent ones. Nothing accidental about a gun going off when the trigger is depressed. There's probably been 10s of thousands negligent discharges attributed to Glocks but I can tell you for certain that one has never went off without some human interaction ergo negligence.
    I find that phenomenon amazing with what, the thousands and thousands of times Sig Sauer, Engineering companys and others have dropped the 320 with trying to have it discharge and no one has ever mentioned the front of the slide popping off the front rails.
    I do know this, Mechanical failures can be reproduced.

Skip

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    12 miles from Michigan
    Yep, it's a choice one has to make. Personally, I do without for the reason you stated above. Keep your finger off the bang switch and don't be in a hurry to reholster...
    Yes. No manual safety for me either. I’m getting older and while I can still bench press 215lbs at 67 years old, "snicking" a safety off can be hard on my XL and old thumbs. I can “run” 5 miles on an elliptical in 44 minutes too but my left thumb is a bit arthritic and has to be wrapped when I do “hammer curls”, 10 reps of 45lbs, 10 reps of 50lbs and 10 reps of 55lbs. Not having a manual safety is fine for me too as I learned trigger discipline from my dad, GySgt B. Boyer, USMC 1950-1969. ;)

Last edited:

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I haven't carried a 1911 since the late 1970's When at work, it was in Condition 1
    I don't carry my M17 with the safety on, as I posted earlier.
    I use it just when I'm re-holstering.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Great read that I'm sure some would disagree with but the logic is inescapable.

92FSTech

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 24, 2020
    North Central
    NHT3's situation where the slide popped off the frame is a new one, and I don't blame him for being skeptical of the design after seeing that. I actually took one of my 320s and installed the FCU on the slide without a grip module just to see if I could determine how that could have happened. I still have no idea, unless that particular gun was out of spec or something physically broke. The FCU on my gun (a 320 carry) bottoms out against the front of the slide before the frame nubs can clear the rails. The whole FCU would have to flex inward a significant amount for the frame nubs to pop out of the slide rails, and it would take much more force than a simple drop to do that so far as I can tell. It would have been interesting to examine that actual gun to try and determine what actually happened.

I agree with NHT3 about manual safeties. I personally don't like them for reasons already mentioned...mainly I want my gun to be ready to go the instant it comes out of the holster, and even if you intentionally leave it off it can still get bumped on accidentally without your knowledge. If the gun is equipped with one I believe it should be used. Train to engage it, and train to disengage it. Every time. But even then it shouldn't be depended upon. People get stupid when they put too much faith in mechanical security. Conscious, disciplined adherence to the safety rules is more full-proof than any mechanical device.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Yes. No manual safety for me either. I’m getting older and while I can still bench press 215lbs at 67 years old, "snicking" a safety off can be hard on my XL and old thumbs. I can “run” 5 miles on an elliptical in 44 minutes too but my left thumb is a bit arthritic and has to be wrapped when I do “hammer curls”, 10 sets of 45lbs, 10 sets of 50lbs and 10 sets of 55lbs. Not having a manual safety is fine for me too as I learned trigger discipline from my dad, GySgt B. Boyer, USMC 1950-1969. ;)
    What handgun do you carry?
    Gotta love Dad's, I grew up with a dad that hated Marines, he was a no show for my two brothers and myself at graduation day at MCRD Parris Island.
    He was a Career Navy man, MCPO UDT Navy Diver.
    He carried a 1911, it was always in Condition 1
    I miss you Master Chief.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    NHT3's situation where the slide popped off the frame is a new one, and I don't blame him for being skeptical of the design after seeing that. I actually took one of my 320s and installed the FCU on the slide without a grip module just to see if I could determine how that could have happened. I still have no idea, unless that particular gun was out of spec or something physically broke. The FCU on my gun (a 320 carry) bottoms out against the front of the slide before the frame nubs can clear the rails. The whole FCU would have to flex inward a significant amount for the frame nubs to pop out of the slide rails, and it would take much more force than a simple drop to do that so far as I can tell. It would have been interesting to examine that actual gun to try and determine what actually happened.

I agree with NHT3 about manual safeties. I personally don't like them for reasons already mentioned...mainly I want my gun to be ready to go the instant it comes out of the holster, and even if you intentionally leave it off it can still get bumped on accidentally without your knowledge. If the gun is equipped with one I believe it should be used. Train to engage it, and train to disengage it. Every time. But even then it shouldn't be depended upon. People get stupid when they put too much faith in mechanical security. Conscious, disciplined adherence to the safety rules is more full-proof than any mechanical device.
    Do you use safety's on a rifle?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    Hellcats are a wee bit smaller than a 1911 frame pistol. You don't see a grip safety on dozens of compact and micro pistols.

Once a product is released, its tough for a manufacturer to go back and make a radical change like a manual safety on a pistol. Will it not instantly say, the pistols we built before were just not as safe?

Exactly my point. Springfield released the Hellcat WITHOUT a grip safety when the XDS (smaller size) had one.

Plenty have already posted why you don't need a manual safety on a striker fired pistol... no problems if someone prefers one though.

Top Bottom