Why I No Longer Use Magpul Bad Levers!!!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • phylodog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Mar 7, 2008
    Arcadia
    This is where my apprehension comes from. As you can see from this picture of a bolt catch, there isn't a lot of material surrounding the roll pin.
    P1040410.jpg

When pushing the B.A.D. lever up to engage to bolt catch, it pulls the paddle out away from the side of the receiver (red arrow). This pushes the bottom of the bolt catch into the cut out of the receiver (green arrow). If the lever moves up enough to force the bottom of the bolt catch to bottom out in the receiver cut out, you have created stress in the small pieces of material surrounding the roll pin (yellow circles).
    BoltCatch_2.jpg

Being such a thin piece of steel and having a three inch lever pushing on it, it wouldn't take too much to create stress fractures and an eventual failure of the bolt catch like Corey showed in the OP. In the few examples I have handled in person, the B.A.D. lever seemed to "bottom out" against the top of the trigger guard before the bottom of the bolt catch would impact the cut out of the receiver. Considering the amount of play involved between the roll pin, bolt catch and B.A.D. lever I wouldn't be surprised to see things not mate up properly and begin stressing the bolt catch.

I'm not trashing the product, I'm a huge Magpul fan but I don't think the design of the B.A.D. lever is a good one. I saw a video of a different product which is supposed to be coming to market that used a modified mag release to engage the bolt catch but I can't find it now. If I locate that video I'll post it up, that product appeared to limit the amount of force being applied to the bolt catch.

Patternpimp

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Columbus, IN
    The hole creates a stress raiser in the casting, possibly aggrevated by a a scratch created when inserting the roll pin. However this would have been considered by any engineer worth their salt. As someone who deals with castings everyday, I would lean towards an oxide film inclusion in the aluminum casting. With that stated if you want to sell your BAD Lever shoot me a PM.

greyhound47

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Apr 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    The hole creates a stress raiser in the casting, possibly aggrevated by a a scratch created when inserting the roll pin. However this would have been considered by any engineer worth their salt. As someone who deals with castings everyday, I would lean towards an oxide film inclusion in the aluminum casting. With that stated if you want to sell your BAD Lever shoot me a PM.
    :) I figure if it was a real problem we would have been hearing about this repeatedly. Bad casting is what I am thinking too. I have boith my rifles covered!

mmartinsbin

Plinker
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Oct 26, 2010
    Granger, IN
    I agree. Being an engineer myself and assembling my AR from a stripped receiver this is a casting issue not a leverage problem. Quality components are important, not only the receiver forging but the parts kit as well.

knobcreeknut

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 18, 2008
    shelbyville
    Corey

A buddy of mine has had the bolt release break twice on a colt 9mm subgun. These both occurred long before the BAD lever ever existed. Could this be a common issue on these guns? Both of his breakages occurred during firing.

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Last edited:

AzNooB

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    I'll have to say it's a bad casting too. It just doesn't make any sense that the BAD lever broke off that section of the bolt catch.

Top Bottom