• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    I've picked up old ones that needed TLC and have used the fire method before. I've built the fire and then raked out some coals, put the pan on the coals and after 20 min or so put coals into the skillet and tossed wood on top. Pull it out of the ashes the next day, rinse, dry and scrub with salt. Rinse and dry it again, then season it kind of like slawburger says to do. I smear a thin coat of veg oil on it, put it in a cold oven upside down and start the oven. When it hits 350, kill the heat and let it cool in the oven.

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Cast Iron cookware is great. After doing a decade as a Scout Leader I thought it was silly to not start using all that cooking stuff in the house...turns out it's even better there.

I almost used my 14" to cook the bacon this morning...then decided to use the grill...

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I found one thing out the hard way last winter. Never clean an old iron skillet in a fire.

I picked up a nice old Wagner at a sale for cheap and it was covered with layers of black crud. A friend said that you could put it in a fire and burn off all the stuff. I did put it in a fire and it cleaned it up perfectly, but the bottom warped and bulged slightly downward. Bummer.

Not the end of the world. My late Grandmother gave me hers which has this deficiency. Works fine. I'm not about to get rid of it because its an antique... It was her mother's.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    How do you grill bacon?

I would think a black smith could pound the bottom of a cast iron skillet back to flat relatively easily.

OOOOH!!! I REALLY like that idea... While I could easily replace grandma's with probably a better skillet, it would be nice to have one that doesnt want to turn so easily on my glass cooktop.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a conglomeration of skillets, and they're not as rusty as I thought they were. I also have a flat iron that's apparently pressed out of 1/8" sheet cast iron. I can identify a Griswold/Erie, PA 12" and a Wagner 10". Prolly the Toyota Camry/Honda Accord of the cast iron collector world. I have one 7", one 8", two 10" and two 12" skillets.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    What. Was it you?

No, it was me. I'm surprised anyone remembers. Impressive. No, Derek just hates giving credit to someone whom he can't stand. Love you, too, Derek!

Highly relevant links that literally no one on the planet except for myself seems to understand or take seriously:

Chemistry of Cast Iron Seasoning: A Science-Based How-To

Wagner and Griswold Society

Don't worry, I'm sure everyone will continue to ignore science and the scientific method and will continue to post about using bacon grease as God's own cast-iron seasoning agent and how dare I utilize science to suggest that bacon isn't even the optimal method to season cast iron and how dare I, their great-great-great-grandmother (who was also the Duchess of Cornwall, don't you KNOW?!) used bacon grease to season cast iron since the Reconstruction and it works just fine, bla bla bla bla bla. No one listens or is willing to accept scientific advice as to the fact that there is an ideal seasoning agent for cast iron, one that they're not using and not ever going to utilize, so let me just say before the happening begins: IBTGDBF.

ron_paul___it_didn__t_have_to_be_like_this_by_g3xter-d5rire9.jpg

Does bacon grease work? Sure. Is it the optimal agent? No. IBTGDBF.

Last edited:

Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    HR. That flax seed oil might be something I'll try...probably not going to be building an electrolysis grid for the kitchen anytime soon though. I've got plenty of other science projects to work on.

Was that an LBJ commercial about the dangers of voting for Goldwater?

Last edited:

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Not the end of the world. My late Grandmother gave me hers which has this deficiency. Works fine. I'm not about to get rid of it because its an antique... It was her mother's.

We have several old iron skillets that we use for everyday cooking and a couple that don't get used as much but have sentimental value. The one I got from the sale was going to be a present for someone, but after I messed it up, I bought that person a new one. I still have it, but I doubt I'll ever cook with it.

I've read on several cast iron cookware forums and web sites that putting a warped skillet back into shape is a very dicey proposition. Grey iron isn't the same as the iron used by black smiths. Grey iron is too brittle to hammer.

Top Bottom