• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ryninger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Sep 5, 2008
    Newburgh
    A picture is worth a thousand words they say!
    My goto Wagner 10 after frying bacon, scrambled eggs with cheese, and wiped out with a paper towel and a splash of olive oil!

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Cast is my favorite thing to cook in. This is my favorite piece:
    attachment.php

dave29

Master
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Jul 8, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    I love cast iron and have been working on the perfect pan seasoning for about two years, when one day my kids' babysitter decides to use it and clean it with dawn soap and a scrubber. :xmad:

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    I love cast iron and have been working on the perfect pan seasoning for about two years, when one day my kids' babysitter decides to use it and clean it with dawn soap and a scrubber. :xmad:

My wife has done that to me a few times, I have since forbidden her to use them or clean them.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars

:wow:

I would be furious. Mine just gets wiped out with a paper towel 90% of the time. If it gets some carbon buildup from searing, a little kosher salt and a light scrub with the towel.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    :wow:

I would be furious.

The first time it happened I was mad, the second time I livid, the third time I went off, hence the iron ban. [Just as a side note, I did explain that you don't use soap on them, ever, on numerous occasions and after each incident.]

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I found one thing out the hard way last winter. Never clean an old iron skillet in a fire.

I picked up a nice old Wagner at a sale for cheap and it was covered with layers of black crud. A friend said that you could put it in a fire and burn off all the stuff. I did put it in a fire and it cleaned it up perfectly, but the bottom warped and bulged slightly downward. Bummer.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I started using cast iron on campouts, then in the house, then Mrs. Slawburger became a fan so we accumulated even more pieces. It really is great cookware. It lasts for generations, eventually it will develop its own non-stick surface, it heats evenly and retains heat.

Downside is that it is very heavy. Women of a certain age sometimes have trouble picking it up due to the weight of the skillet or arthritis in their wrists.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I found one thing out the hard way last winter. Never clean an old iron skillet in a fire.

I picked up a nice old Wagner at a sale for cheap and it was covered with layers of black crud. A friend said that you could put it in a fire and burn off all the stuff. I did put it in a fire and it cleaned it up perfectly, but the bottom warped and bulged slightly downward. Bummer.

A friend of mine used to do that and it worked for him up until the time the coals were too hot the skillet was too dry and he cracked his huge skillet. Most of the time a paper towel does the trick, sometimes I use water and a nylon scraper when I need to remove some serious "stuff". If you use water just be sure to thoroughly dry it.

Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Indianapolis, IN
    I too am addicted. I started collecting, restoring, and using about a year ago. Nothing better than finding a diamond in rough shape hidden at a flea market or antique shop. Sadly sellers see one of the big names and think it is worth a mint. I tried to educate some sellers and let them know that they just ruined it by "cleaning" it in a fire or just because you see a "Gris.... or Wag..." under the crud does not mean your #8 is worth $60 etc... but they "know best" and I move on.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    I have a ton of the stuff that was used in my household when I was growing up, but that was two generations ago. Now, it's just gathering dust and rust. Any tips on how to clean it up and press it back into service? I presume, in addition to no dish soap, it should never be placed in a dish washer as well.

Slawburger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 26, 2012
    Almost Southern IN
    I have a ton of the stuff that was used in my household when I was growing up, but that was two generations ago. Now, it's just gathering dust and rust. Any tips on how to clean it up and press it back into service? I presume, in addition to no dish soap, it should never be placed in a dish washer as well.

Dishwasher is a No-No.

Wash it (you can use hot soapy water before you season it). Stiff brush to knock any rust loose.
    Use a paper towel to spread a thin coat of Crisco on the inside/Outside and bake it at 350 for an hour.
    Place it upside down on the oven rack while baking so the melted vegetable shortening doesn't accumulate in the bottom (aluminum foil on the next lower rack to contain messes). Two thin coats of Crisco are better than one thick coat. Store it in a dry area. If it has a lid place a paper towel between the lid and skillet so air can circulate. No more soap after seasoning or you have to start over. Use it a lot, it gets better the more you use it.

The Lodge website will probably have more detailed instructions.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Dishwasher is a No-No.

Wash it (you can use hot soapy water before you season it). Stiff brush to knock any rust loose.
    Use a paper towel to spread a thin coat of Crisco on the inside/Outside and bake it at 350 for an hour.
    Place it upside down on the oven rack while baking so the melted vegetable shortening doesn't accumulate in the bottom (aluminum foil on the next lower rack to contain messes). Two thin coats of Crisco are better than one thick coat. Store it in a dry area. If it has a lid place a paper towel between the lid and skillet so air can circulate. No more soap after seasoning or you have to start over. Use it a lot, it gets better the more you use it.

The Lodge website will probably have more detailed instructions.

This. If it's really rusted, you can strip it down to bare metal with steel wool and sand paper before seasoning it.

After the initial seasoning, the more you use it, the better it will get.

Top Bottom