• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    A 9mm bullet makes a smaller hole when shooting at the range. This means I can use the same target for longer. I figure between the money I save on targets and how much cheaper the ammo is, I save maybe $50 a year. Take that .45 lovers! :rockwoot:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    A 9mm bullet makes a smaller hole when shooting at the range. This means I can use the same target for longer. I figure between the money I save on targets and how much cheaper the ammo is, I save maybe $50 a year. Take that .45 lovers! :rockwoot:

Neg rep'd for firearms talk in the break room.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I never buy targets, I just show up at the range and shoot over the lane at the other guys target. Man I have seen some confused looks when they go get their targets....thats when I go over and ask whats up....and then I can see where I'm hitting.

Trooper

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0

If you put all the rounds into the same hole then the target lasts even longer no matter what the ammo!

But the one reason to use 9mm is during moving from point to point. If you are moving and get attacked, your major goal is to get away, not take out the attackers. Thus a 9mm works far better than .45 ACP or .40 S&W which are primarily defensive rounds that are used to stop the attacker. If you are in a defensive position then you need large caliber rounds to out the attackers. But during movement, you only need to hurt them really, really bad.

Last edited:

shawnba67

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    So Indiana
    Plus if you want to make your 9mm a real badass, call it a 3-5-5. Badguys will fall over at the sight of it because its almost a 357. Now its cheaper and more powerful plus the target savings.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I only took a .45 to the range one time. I had to replace the target, target holder and fill in the missing dirt after every shot to prevent obliterating the berm! How annoying. To calculate the real expense of shooting .45 you have to factor in your time also. You are going to get a visit from the cops that get called out every time due to the neighbors reporting explosions and babies awakening from naps from miles away due to the shock waves.

Good topic, this needed discussed.

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I only took a .45 to the range one time. I had to replace the target, target holder and fill in the missing dirt after every shot to prevent obliterating the berm! How annoying. To calculate the real expense of shooting .45 you have to factor in your time also. You are going to get a visit from the cops that get called out every time due to the neighbors reporting explosions and babies awakening from naps from miles away due to the shock waves.

See, this person gets it! Who needs those annoyances?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle

stop trying to act like you have a badass gun by faking recoil and you'll stop shooting high and messing up the berm:p

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    I prefer to practice with the .45 since that is what I carry and I know it will stop anyone/anything I need to stop! I don't worry about the cost of targets since I shoot at things that are going to end up in the trash anyway. I like noise...it lets the neighbors know that I know how to protect myself. My backstop can handle the hit so no worries about that.

Ammo...I keep getting yelled at for buying more .45 as we have enough to last a long time. I just can't resist...it's good to see it back on the shelf and I have to grab a couple hundred more rounds! If we have too much, then hubby can't complain about me burning through some of it, right?

Top Bottom