Thor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2014
    Could be anywhere
    Let me rephrase...

What qualifications must one possess to be worthy of training you?

I don't have a dog in the race, but I believe you would be truly limiting your own potential by immediately discrediting any knowledge or skill someone may have to offer simply because of their age.

Let me rephrase. I did not mean to disrespect anyone's skills because of their age. I'm glad their younger than me and will go do those things I no longer want to.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Yeah, that's me...still work for the puzzle palace in the combat readiness training community developing ranges and training venues.

That sounds pretty cool. I had a friend that was retired military and worked on ranges as a contractor. It was always interesting to get the mil, Leo, and competition guys in the same room.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    And most of the time, it's a poor choice. (I said most, not all of the time.)

That is a valid opinion, sir. I am making an effort to accept others' choices and leave them to it. I do not always succeed!

I prefer that at least a percentage of my training be with people who are at least as fat as me and enjoy endless shrimp.

That is a good policy. I need to find someone as fat as I am to get some more training. And shrimp.

Hmmm . . . this raises an interesting question: is rhino the fattest firearms instructor in Indiana? In the country? In the world? What if he loses more weight? Will he lose the crown to a rival?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I prefer that at least a percentage of my training be with people who are at least as fat as me and enjoy endless shrimp.

I think I saw an add for endless shrimp at Red Lobster. I vote training class followed by Red Lobster. If a bunch of fat guys with guns walked in and asked for a table in the corner the waitress would ............

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I think I saw an add for endless shrimp at Red Lobster. I vote training class followed by Red Lobster. If a bunch of fat guys with guns walked in and asked for a table in the corner the waitress would ............

Ah, I see you have never been with Team Endless Shrimp after a USPSA match in September or October in Terre Haute or Bloomington.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Ah, I see you have never been with Team Endless Shrimp after a USPSA match in September or October in Terre Haute or Bloomington.

I don't get out much. My weekends are always booked between family and activities at South Central.

As as far as fat instructors, I prefer fat instructors. Either fat or old. Neither will make you crawl around on the ground or run.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I have trained and shot with a lot guys that were in the military. I would feel much safer hanging out with rhino, with a sharp object in his hand than those guys.

That is MY opinion. And I have trained with a few guys that were in the military who actually knew what they were doing.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    That is a valid opinion, sir. I am making an effort to accept others' choices and leave them to it. I do not always succeed!

That is a good policy. I need to find someone as fat as I am to get some more training. And shrimp.

Hmmm . . . this raises an interesting question: is rhino the fattest firearms instructor in Indiana? In the country? In the world? What if he loses more weight? Will he lose the crown to a rival?

I see your wheels turning.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I've been in classes and competition with a lot of vets, young and old.

I have total respect for those who have served. That said, some of the worst gun handling I've seen has been in the hands of those who "learned in the military."

I took one of my Deacons from church to the range. He said that he was not a good shot, and he was right he wasn't. He was even an Instructor in the military. I asked him which was his dominant eye. He said he didn't know. With in 30 minutes he was shooting better than he said he has ever shot in his life. He shot better because we discovered he was right handed but left eye dominant.

He shot so well that he purchased a pistol and wants to take training classes.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    Never mind the stupid picture won't paste. But the whole discussion makes me think that an AK and a Segway would make for a good time.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    81796523kw5.jpg

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    The military covers a lot of territory. Depending on job and unit, you may never touch a pistol. You may be issued one and qualified as an "expert" but really have only the barest idea of how to effectively use a pistol **raises hand** and not know what you don't know until you see other people doing it right or get outside training. Or, you could be highly trained and extremely proficient. It just depends.

Particularly Cold War era military, but again based on job and unit, there was nearly zero training on recognizing body language, pre-attack indicators, etc. The military has since realized that deficiency in training as it's incredibly helpful in insurgency combat, with initiatives like the Combat Hunter program. That translates EXTREMELY well into street survival, as pre-attack indicators can alert you to a mugging before it kicks off just as easily as it can alert you to a suicide bomber before he detonates.

There are also things unique to the military that do not translate well when you are not in a small unit, are using a completely different set of rules as far as RoE, etc.

As such, while I learned many valuable things in the military, I would have been ill advised to stop my training there. I believe I've learned far more in terms of street encounters due to my LE training, LE experience (such as taking armed suspects at gun point and continuously evaluating shoot/no-shoot), and keeping accounts of civilian vs criminal encounters through my work than I ever learned in the military.

There are many, many people who have something to teach me. The trick is finding those people who are experts, who are experienced, and who stay in their lane of expertise.

Top Bottom