• ...and so much more!
  • Why have you not taken trining?

• Total voters

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    I see that I'm late to this thread but I'll add my two pence anyway.

I voted no training in my area, north central, but truth is I've had several classes just none in the past couple of years. Not that I haven't signed up for classes it's that they are cancelled for lack of students and it's happened three times in the past two years. It's very frustrating to plan and practice for a class only to have it cancelled a couple of days beforehand.

This just happened again with Frank's class in Rochester, a great instructor and at bargain prices just little to no interest in this part of the State. His classes are a packed learning experience from start to finish, anyone who hasn't trained with him is missing out on an opportunity to expand their skills at defensive firearm safety and tactics plus legal and moral advice from a dedicated and experienced trainer.

I've tried getting others to attend and the common reasons range from, too busy, money, and all I need to know if someone comes at me with a pipe I'll just shoot him. Guess I need to get to the range and blow off some steam.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    I see that I'm late to this thread but I'll add my two pence anyway.

I voted no training in my area, north central, but truth is I've had several classes just none in the past couple of years. Not that I haven't signed up for classes it's that they are cancelled for lack of students and it's happened three times in the past two years. It's very frustrating to plan and practice for a class only to have it cancelled a couple of days beforehand.

This just happened again with Frank's class in Rochester, a great instructor and at bargain prices just little to no interest in this part of the State. His classes are a packed learning experience from start to finish, anyone who hasn't trained with him is missing out on an opportunity to expand their skills at defensive firearm safety and tactics plus legal and moral advice from a dedicated and experienced trainer.

I've tried getting others to attend and the common reasons range from, too busy, money, and all I need to know if someone comes at me with a pipe I'll just shoot him. Guess I need to get to the range and blow off some steam.

It is disappopointing when classes get canceled. I also wish there were enough demand that things like that were rare and not the norm.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    It is disappopointing when classes get canceled. I also wish there were enough demand that things like that were rare and not the norm.

Would you rather be a part of the class if it is only you and someone else, or even you alone, or have it cancelled? I ask because I don't cancel even if only one person signs up, but sometimes wonder if that is the best thing to do.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Would you rather be a part of the class if it is only you and someone else, or even you alone, or have it cancelled? I ask because I don't cancel even if only one person signs up, but sometimes wonder if that is the best thing to do.

Most of the time I've paid something up front, blocked out the time, and done whatever necessary to prepare for the event. If its on I'm staying. Sometimes there are benefits to having others in class to learn from their questions and mistakes and whatnot. But there are benefits to getting all of the instructors attention too.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy

Is it worth your time as an instructor to stay for just one or two students?

GNRPowdeR

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Oct 3, 2011
    Bartholomew Co.
    As a Newer Instructor...

Is it worth your time as an instructor to stay for just one or two students?
    My opinion is to keep the class on as scheduled. I don't have students beating down my door, nor do I instruct courses that would bring people from out of town and having them get a room for multiple days, but I'd expect the class to be put on as though it was a full student body, even if only half show the day of class.Like Jackson, I worked out my schedule and have expended energy / money / time to prepare to learn / teach a class... Let's get to work!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN

I am lucky and only had one class cancelled on me before.... It was in Florida and I already booked a flight .... but I just said ohh well and traveled anyways to just visit my parents.

But in general, as others have said, I have already cleared that weekend or time, made necessary arrangements, etc.... I would prefer the class to happen regardless of how students show up (start asking for deposits and I bet the student size would increase dramatically.)

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Depending on the class I think it would be pretty cool to be the only one there. I'm sure I could really benefit from some individualized instruction.

I also do think there are also times when having a larger group there can be helpful, as some others may ask questions or raise issues I hadn't thought about.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    No, generally it is not. I figure it is just one of the prices you pay. If I was just in this for the money, as some claim, clearly that wouldn't make for a good business model.

I agree, it is not worth it to hold a class for just one or two people, BUT when I schedule a class, it goes. I do not have the luxury of rescheduling, nor do most of the students. And Mike is correct, really poor business model.

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am lucky and only had one class cancelled on me before.... It was in Florida and I already booked a flight .... but I just said ohh well and traveled anyways to just visit my parents.

But in general, as others have said, I have already cleared that weekend or time, made necessary arrangements, etc.... I would prefer the class to happen regardless of how students show up (start asking for deposits and I bet the student size would increase dramatically.)

Well stated!
    For the very reasons you stated, we run our classes as long as long as one or more folks have enrolled. Additionally, I always get deposits--or the full payment, at the guest's option--as it really assures folks are serious.

jqunac

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2012
    If I were in a class I would prefer at least three or four to a maximum of six to eight. I've been in classes with more and things went unnoticed by the instructors, I made mistakes that I wasn't called on. Like decocking a double action firearm before holstering. Things like that take a close eye.

It's commendable that some instructors would give a class for one but I also feel that it is more a code of duty than a what is right for the student. My classes get cancelled for a later day with the option of a refund or future application. I think it would be a long day if I were the only student or even two.

BearFodder

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2014
    Indiana
    I have had one class canceled so far. The instructor would have had to drive 4 1/2 hours to the location and I would have had to drive 3 1/4 hours. It was a force on force class so not practical for either of us. I had vacation scheduled for days around the class so it was inconvenient, but, I did not hold it against the instructor for the reasons I mentioned. I also got lucky and found a more expensive class that I could attend that was only twice as far for me to drive to. :D

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    I just flat out don't have the time. I work 13 days in a row, get one day off. That one day off is a Monday. Those days, I have the baby. That and I'm trying to pay off bills before we head out to California.

T-DOGG

I'm Spicy, deal with it.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 99.6%
    267   1   0
    Feb 4, 2011
    New Haven
    I voted "other". I am going to do my best not to get off course here. I have many reasons that I believe have added up to one major reason:

Time - I could make the time in my schedule, but don't prioritize the best with my time

Money - I could save the money, but when I have the extra money it goes to more guns, gear, or ammo

Knowledge - I know how to shoot paper targets well, but this falsely translates in my mind to being able to handle all other shooting scenarios

Failure to Launch - Same reason I quit going to the gym, what I have is good enough and anything more is too much effort. I have simply not gotten off my butt to put forth the serious effort. I know I need to, I just haven't done it yet. I have a bad mindset of taking the easy road, instead of the correct road.

I have given myself a false mindset that because I own a bunch of guns, ammo, and gear that I will know how to use all of them in ALL scenarios. Unfortunately my range time shooting standing paper targets has given me the impression that in a self defense scenario I will magically become (enter any Action Movie Hero). I blame Hollywood for this false sense because I have grown up watching action movies all my life and when I think of a SHTF or defense scenario, what I have seen in movies is what I envision happening. The logical part of my brain tells me that is incorrect. Unfortunately the logical side does not dictate how and when I spend my time and money. I have gotten into a really bad habit of buying all kinds of guns just to say I have had them. Part of me wants to be a collector and admire firearms for how truly awesome they are. The other part wants to use them for what they are, tools, and be able to effectively use them.

Again, I make all kinds of excuses:
    - Don't have the time due to family and work stuff, even though my wife would either attend training with me or would allow me to go solo.
    - Don't have the money, any freed up money goes to more gun stuff. For some reason, I can't get out of this mindset.
    - Don't have the need for training, because I can already handle myself with a weapon. This is farther from the truth than I care to admit. While I have good fundamental safe handling and shooting skills, I am sure there is plenty of room for improvement.

So the biggest reason for not taking training classes is ME. I am to blame, it's my fault, nobody else. If I can change my mindset and stop making excuses, then I can and will/would attend training classes. So how do I change my mindset? I haven't figured that out yet...............

-Travis-

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    I voted other as well and can relate to what T-dogg stated with some things to add.

I would LOVE to take training classes but I am not familiar with where they are, when they are, or what is involved.

I also COULD make the time....but I have this internalized feeling that I may be persecuted for showing up with a 1911 and reloads.

Lastly...they seem expensive which honestly is the hardest thing to prioritize with buying a new house and having a new baby.

God bless
    -Shred

Top Bottom