• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dirtfarmerz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 28, 2010
    Henry County
    I just don't like a gun that looks and feels like a box of crackerjacks in my hand. If you shake one, it even sounds like shaking a box of crackerjacks. I like Kimber 1911's and Beretta 8000's.

ultra...good

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2012
    I just don't like a gun that looks and feels like a box of crackerjacks in my hand. If you shake one, it even sounds like shaking a box of crackerjacks. I like Kimber 1911's and Beretta 8000's.

Wow, that is an odd thing to say, if you are referring to a Glock. I held out for 20 years to buy one and now that is my carry of choice. To compare a Glock to a box of Cracker Jacks? I have some real nice ocean front property in Arizona if you might want to buy it? I even offer it on a time share....

Just to add for comparison, my first pistol and carry for those 20 years was a Springfield 1911. Not that there is anything wrong with the Springfield now, but half the weight, 2x the bullets. Same quality. You were saying again?

Roll Tide

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2012
    Connersville
    I was completely sold on a Glock. Gen3 19. But a friend turned me on to the S&W M&P 9mm and I decided to do some research. My eyes have been opened. I'm not a Glock hater now, I'm just more open to the possibilities. Now I just need to go get my hands on each one and shoot them for a bit. Maybe I'll buy both?

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010
    I was completely sold on a Glock. Gen3 19. But a friend turned me on to the S&W M&P 9mm and I decided to do some research. My eyes have been opened. I'm not a Glock hater now, I'm just more open to the possibilities. Now I just need to go get my hands on each one and shoot them for a bit. Maybe I'll buy both?

If you are not already a Glock owner and trained on the Glock trigger/invested in the platform, then take a serious look at the M&P. That was not my situation and I just could not get used to the M&P trigger, even with a RAM kit installed. I hear the new M&Ps have a much more tactile reset, which could be interesting. I sold off the M&P and bought more ammo for the Glocks.

NyleRN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Dec 14, 2013
    Scottsburg
    Why Glock? Well, proven reliability for $500, more aftermarket for the glock than any other pistol, easy to change parts
    ETA: If you may possibly treat your gun like you would your lawnmower then buy a glock

Last edited:

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I trust my life with a Glock everyday. I have NEVER had a failure with the Glock in all of the years that I have carried them and shot them in competition. I cannot say the same thing for the 1911's that I own and have seen at the competitions that I attend.

Glocks are reliable and simple. Thats Why!!

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    simply the best. if you want a gun that works out of the the box. get a glock. there are others to consider aswell. smith n wesson m and p, springfeild xd. and many more. there are more 500 dollar polymer frame guns that dont jam then 1000 dollar 1911's that hang up all the time.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    Noblesville
    I like Glocks but they are just one of my fav's. One good thing about them is that just about every gun accessory under the sun is made for them be it: lasers, lights, holsters, sights ... you name it. If you own a Glock you can get it to fit your gun.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    simply the best. if you want a gun that works out of the the box. get a glock. there are others to consider aswell. smith n wesson m and p, springfeild xd. and many more. there are more 500 dollar polymer frame guns that dont jam then 1000 dollar 1911's that hang up all the time.
    No gun should be trusted until it earns that trust through use at the range. I've owned 8 1911s and 5 Glocks and the worst out of the box gun of all of them was a Glock 19. One of the best was an RIA Compact. Every mfg can produce a problem gun and you don't know if you got it until you test it. NEVER trust a gun right out of the box.

jaybird_123

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2012
    Just around the corner.
    I used to be a Glock hater. They were ugly, and seemed to be a lot of people selling them or trading them off. Then after buying all the handguns that I wanted to have, I bought one, took it to the range. It fit my hand real nice, felt good firing it, had no jams or any malfunctions. I now am a Glock lover. End of story.:)

bk5777

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    bloomington
    Over the years I have stood on the firing line with police officers shooting different weapons. On most cases we would be shooting the same weapon. During the course of fire you would see peoples guns jam up or "stovepipe". However, as soon as the department changed over to Glocks...these problems went away. Watch what most police departments carry. There's a reason for what they carry. Think about it. I would bet that most cop shops carry Glocks.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    After coming to the Glock world by way of CZs, 1911s and Hi Powers, one of the things that really attracted me was the simplicity of the trigger system. It's simply a bar that pulls back on a spring loaded firing pin and when it gets to a certain point, it gets cammed down by an angled piece of sheet metal. The CZ has two different sears that cover single and double action. The trigger action of the Hi Power travels up into the slide and then back down into the frame. Glock triggers are about as simple as could be.

While I haven't worked on any Glock triggers (that is a good thing about Glock, you don't really need to), my assessment comes from staring down into the sear area, where I unable to see much of anything on a Glock. Then there is the fact that the trigger doesn't reset forward unless you cock it again (okay, that could just mean it has one less trigger return spring, but I sure suspect it means something else).

I have spent extensive time improving multiple stock M&P triggers (safety and no safety), and understand the mechanics well. There isn't much to it, and you can actually see it all looking down into the frame. The trigger is pulled back until the trigger bar lifts the front of the sear, lowering the back of the sear, which of course releases the firing pin. The part that is even more simple is how it resets (and in its simplicity lies its weakness right now). As the slide goes back after firing, a special cut in the slide pushes the trigger bar to the SIDE of the sear, and when the trigger is released it slips back in front of the sear (because the trigger bar is bent to want to return to that position by its own tension). I'm pretty sure this saves a lot of moving parts, but it doesn't make a good clicky reset, and it involves a lot of metal on metal tension, which light sanding helps a lot with. I think the concept is nothing short of genius in its simplicity though.

The Apex sear does little more than add a horizontal spring (in the empty safety well on M&P's without safeties) that aids in more quickly snapping the trigger bar back in front of the sear instead of relying on metal tension.

I consider the AR15 a success because of its lack of moving parts (mainly due to GI), and therefore lightest possible weight (thus far). If M&P could improve their trigger, they could become the AR15 of pistols.

EDIT: I've watched Glock disassembly on youtube, and it is indeed simple. The sear is part of the trigger bar basically, which is awesome, BUT then they had to add a "connector" because of that, which is the piece that I'm not so sure is the simplest possible design (although it may be more robust, I dunno without a lot more studying). But I do know the M&P trigger bar just works the sear and that seams to be a an overall simpler relationship in my mind--plus it takes up half the space inside the frame. I didn't say it wan't a close call!

Last edited:

JBI812

Sharpshooter
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 28, 2012
    East side Indianapol
    I've often ask myself why so much hype about Glocks! I think it's ugly looking. But I learned early in life to always check out ugly cause you might be missing an opportunity. I did and I don't care for one. So, I'm guessing the main reason is cost. Law Enforcement agencies buys them at a fraction of the normal retail price and there isn't a lot of competition at that price point. I'm surprised that they haven't started using them on tripods mounted to roof of squad cars.

I had a Springfield XD and it looked like a battery powered electric drill. I kept getting confused and shot a couple holes where screw were supposed to be. I sold it and avoid plastic firearms.

jwh20

Master
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 22, 2013
    Hamilton County Indi
    I have never shot a Glock but just don't understand the "Glock beats all" mentality. Personally, I like a gun that not only functions they way it should every time I pull the trigger, but also looks good and is comfortable to hold. I don't really like the way a Glock looks, but maybe that is just me. I know how it is to be brand-loyal (Harley-Davidson motorcycles) but I was just curious about the Glock obsession.

Glocks are what they are, generally well made, highly functional, and reliable firearms. They are popular for the same reason many brands are popular, brand name recognition and the fact that while they are not usually remarkable in any one aspect, they are good all-around performers. I don't consider myself a "Glock snob" but I do own one and might purchase another one. I have a number of handguns but have only a Gen3 Glock 21 which I like quite a bit. In fact my current wish list has a 10mm on it and the Glock 20 is my prime candidate. Just waiting for the right combination of available cash and good deal found.

But "Glock beats all"? I don't see it. In any category in which Glock offers a firearm, I think you can identify several from other manufacturers that are better by some measure. But all-around, they are excellent guns and I would not hesitate to EDC one.

Top Bottom