• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I was just curious, and honestly trying to stir the pot a little. I don't really care what you like and why, I like certain things and can't explain "why" but I just do. I understand the reliability factor, but there are many other semi-autos that are just as reliable.

Again, just stirring the pot...

You ask us why the Glock obsession, but then come back with a reply that you don't really care what we like and why?

:rolleyes: :n00b:

:postwhore: ?

:D

nrgrams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jun 3, 2013
    Columbus
    To each their own. No one person should be a deciding factor as to what you should buy/carry/use/collect except you. I've owned a few handguns, including multiple Glocks, Sigs, S&W, HKs, and Springfields. each for their own various reasons for purchase, each with their own fine points of attraction.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    Pretty much this. Add to that the fact that I have holsters, gear and around 50 or so mags and it makes it tough to switch to something that MAY be a little better in some way.

I have to admit, this is another attractive feature. Just like the 1911, a holster for one will work well for most other 1911s. I use a Mills Tactical for my G23, G19 and G27. Eventually, it will work for the G30s that's bound to sneak into my safe. My MTac IWB with the small shell works for my Kimber Compact, RIA, Remington R1S, 1944 Colt and Delta Elite. Not so much for my railed Sig though. Commonality is a good thing.

BiscuitNaBasket

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.6%
    73   1   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    CENTRAL
    pot.gif

jagee

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    I'm just curious as to why. I like to hear your opinions and compare/contrast different options, but it isn't going to sway my next purchase. I knew going in to this the Glock fans would go with the reliability aspect but again, pretty much any of the new guns on the market will work just fine.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    For me, the Choice of Glock was almost by default because no one else made a pistol that I was looking for.

You want a 10mm? OK, there's a couple guys making 10mm guns.

You want one that's striker-fired? That does't have a bunch of external safeties or decockers or all that claptrap?

Yeah, that makes for a selection pool of exactly TWO pistols: a G20 or a G29.

For a 9mm or .40 or .45, there are a LOT more options available. But in 10mm land, there's basically Glocks or 1911-based guns.

I think I can argue somewhat credibly that a G20 might be the most versatile autoloader on the market, shooting 4 calibers with just barrel swaps, and bullet weights from 80gr to 220gr.

drobi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 30, 2013
    Greenwood
    I tried numerous brands, but the Glock just did not fit my hand like it should.
    Originally, I really wanted to get one due to the availability of accessories, but in the end, I couldn't justify getting one.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I made my decision mostly based on financial reasons due to Glocks popularity. And now I own several Glocks. I bought them knowing they were not the most ascetically pleasing, most ergonomic or most at anything. Any firearm is a compromise and I felt that Glocks offered a very reasonable balance of those compromises...size...weight...durability...affordability...ergo's...ease of use...reliability...accuracy...ease of maintainance...and so on and so on.

Parts are plentiful and cheap. This makes the gun easy and cheap to customize. And although some may not care about the cost or the ability to customize, that is something I was looking for. It is true that 1911's can be customized greatly as well, but with 1911's most parts require gunsmith work and cannot just drop in like the Glock platform.

Accessories are plentiful and cheap. As best as I am able to tell, the aftermarket support for Glocks is larger and more extensive any other firearm out there. Lights, Lasers, Holsters, sights, just about any aftermarket product out there has a Glock variant. 1911's are a close 2nd, but that is a whole class of pistol, not just one manufacturer and their design.

And since my pistols are all in 9mm...they offer the most affordable practice rounds available for a center fire pistol cartridge (recent craziness aside).

It's all about the money. If I can't afford to feed it, fix it and support it, then I should not be using it. At least that is how I base my purchase decisions. Your mileage may very.

Last edited:

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I shot 20 or so handguns in one day when I was trying to figure out my carry gun. I loaded and point shot each one, and every time, with the glock 23, I hit dead center. It, to me, was just a natural pointing gun, and felt much better than the rest. So, thats what I bought, and bought alot of ammo. They amazingly did not have a 19, or else I might have preferred the 9mm over the 40, just because its a more popular caliber.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    Not all Glocks are consistent. While on the whole they are very consistent guns, they can fail! My dad's G22 has some major double feed/FTF problems that are still undiagnosed. In the first 50 rounds (brand new gun) it probably happened 8 times.

I personally like the feel and look of the M&Ps much better than Glock. When I handled his G22 this past weekend again, it just feels bad to me. I'm glad I landed on M&P. But as others have said, to each his own.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    This is true. My Ruger SR9c has 1000 rounds through it with no problems. Just like a Glock. But I paid $100 or more less for my gun. You just have to decide what is important in a gun when you make YOUR choice.

I like the Rugers as well but they are not as easily taken down and put back together.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    It is an aquired taste, some of us have just evolved from the revolver vs semi auto days of S&W Mdl 19, or Mdl 686, vs Colt .45 auto to S&W 9mm of the month fad, to Sig, then along came the GLOCK. I still prefer the 2nd Gen .40 and 9mm models, see a .45 G-30s in my future and have not found anything yet to replace what I have trained on and carried now for over the last twenty some years, but........................for twenty some years I carried a .45 (COLT or Gov't issue) and would not be undergunned carrying a Combat Commander, Officers or Govenment model (small/mid/full size .45) just as well as carrying as I do now a (small/mid/full size 9mm or .40 GLOCK), only time will tell what new innovation will come along in the firearms industry, I assume back in the day the Flintlock, Colt SAA, Remmington and S&W revolvers had diehard fans too. Next generation like my 1 year old grandson, will be talking Star Wars stuff when he is my age I bet.

Get what you like and shoot well. pass it on to your kids, grandkids. I bought my son in law a G-17 Glock as a wedding present two years ago, and took him to the range (POPS) two weeks ago, his first time shooting, he loved it and did well. My legacy hopefully lives on.

McGraw

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 1, 2013
    Brockton
    Glock is like the AK47 of pistols. They just run with minimal maintenance. Also in my opinion the tenifer finish is a little better than most of the other polymer pistols out there. I have never seen a Glock rusted or pitted in any way. Even my gen1 19 with most of the finish worn of by holsters.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Glock is like the AK47 of pistols. They just run with minimal maintenance. Also in my opinion the tenifer finish is a little better than most of the other polymer pistols out there. I have never seen a Glock rusted or pitted in any way. Even my gen1 19 with most of the finish worn of by holsters.
    All true... 25 years ago.

It is almost 2014, there are now several options that will "just run with minimal maintenance", and not even Glock uses Tenifer anymore.

Last edited:

nakinate

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    May 1, 2013
    Noblesville
    I like the Rugers as well but they are not as easily taken down and put back together.
    Maybe not "as easily" but my gun ridiculously simple/easy to strip and reassemble. I've not cleaned a Glock before, but I certainly have ZERO issues with the breaking down and reassembly of my gun.

Top Bottom