Why DON'T you take any firearms training classes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why don't you take any firearms training classes?

• Total voters

DaKruiser

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 6, 2010
    Morgan Co.
    Well I voted can't afford it, and I know that's not entirely true. I think our work schedule has more to do with it than anything.

I have learned alot from just being around so many different events. I owe INGO thanks for that!:)

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    Rifle training

I have read the posts up to this point, and I see a pattern of reasons for not training. Cost, schedule, afraid of looking like a noob.
    If you are looking for, defensive pistol, or tactical carbine CQB type training, the following may not be for you.
    Three summers ago, I had the chance to go to an Appleseed. I could shoot, I had been shooting for years, and in my opinion I was a good shot. I went to this shoot thinking I would sweep the targets and walk away a winner. While I didn't quite make the grade to become a Rifleman, I did learn, that the Appleseed Project is as much a challange and training course as a person looking to learn to better their skills needs to get. The training is basic, yes, but, MOST will find the training to be a challange.

Cost is minimal for a two day event, and with 50 plus events scheduled already this year, there is sure to be one farily close. The Appleseed Project, is family friendly, bring your spouse, and responsible children. We welcome new shooters, and shooters that want to work on their rifle skills. With that being said, you have no need to worry about "looking like a noob"
    There is no need to buy a special gun, a .22 is fine, some ranges allow centerfire, we want you to learn with what you have. The only real special requirement is that you bring "a teachable attitude".
    I invite you to come and learn about the heritage of our country, learn the skills of a Rifleman, and mostly enjoy the freedom we have to practice these skills. If you have any questions about Appleseed, check out the "Site Supportor" section of the forum under Appleseed.
    I did finaly earn my Rifleman patch, but, along the way, I have met dozens of wonderful friends and shared many great experiences with them. I hope you will accept this invitation, and join us on the line, I look forward to seeing you there. DHolder :patriot:

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    I see a real hole in the market for pistol training at the $100 level.

Cost matters. SOMETHING is better than nothing, and a lot of us can't even afford a fancy gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

Cost matters. SOMETHING is better than nothing, and a lot of us can't even afford a fancy gun.

There is no hole. I think you just need to know where to look. Tactics and Training is the forum to study. Pick the local instructor you think you'll like and contact them about private training.

I think you might be shocked at how much you can learn from, a private session with a local trainer. You might even get more bang for your buck splitting costs with other students. You might even get to shoot instructor supplied guns.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    There is no hole. I think you just need to know where to look. Tactics and Training is the forum to study. Pick the local instructor you think you'll like and contact them about private training.

I think you might be shocked at how much you can learn from, a private session with a local trainer. You might even get more bang for your buck splitting costs with other students. You might even get to shoot instructor supplied guns.

I haven't seen anything for less than $250. :dunno:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    timing is a huge issue with me. the combination of my job, my wife's job and a baby has put a damper on my free time. If I were single, I imagine I would have taken a few carbine courses already....i would have the time and the extra cash to do so.

of course i were single, the impetus that caused me to buy my first gun might never have occurred.

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Thanks. I'd imagine at that price they are teaching you the 4 safety laws and how to hold the gun.

If they didn't, it would be a rather negligent basic pistol class.;)

For the same price, you could also opt for their Intermediate Pistol class.

Defensive classes cost more but the classes are longer and cover more material and drills.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Rifle, Pistol, Personal Protection in the Home, Non-NRA concealed carry class... $75 per class (8-10 hours... break for meals)... take two classes and take $25 off. Hourly basic instruction $12/hour.

Private range, Grant County. I do little advertising other than word of mouth. I'm retired, so schedule at your convenience between 0600 and 2100. One-on-one, groups, under 18 with parental consent. Very simple premise.... if you honestly don't feel that you've learned anything, you don't pay.

I provide ALL training guns and ammo. Bring your gun and your ammo, if you like, but I reserve the right to safety check it. You will have the opportunity to shoot calibers from .22 up to and including .45 ACP.

References from INGO members

I do NOT teach force-on-force, hand-to-hand, or more than 5 people at a time. If you demonstrate proficiency at what would normally be taught in the classroom, we can go straight to the range. I do not teach a pass/fail class. You show up, and I'll work with you until your comfortable with your skills. If it takes more than one session, we'll do another one. Refresher outings later on, no charge.

Contact via PM, or email thru this forum.

Shoot safely :patriot:

Last edited:

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    I take my share of classes both for competition and personal defense.
    It isn't good for your ego when you learn that you aern't as good as you thought you were. I have found when I try to get friends to come to a training class or a match when you get right down to it they don't want to look like a new guy.
    We were all new guys at one time or another and in my experience most instructors and shooters are good people and would never belittle a new shooter. everyone I have trained with has gone out of their way to make the new shooter comfortable.
    I still suck by the way, just a lot less than a couple of years ago

sgreen3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Jan 19, 2011
    Scottsburg,In
    It would be a toss up between not being able to afford it(I barly can keep me and the GF in ammo) and not having anything around me. I would totaly take a class if I could might be able to pick up on somthing I didnt know

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    There wasn't an option for me in there, but I haven't yet because I go shooting with a couple of LEOs and I have benefitted from what they have taught me so far. Am I going to take a couple? Yes. But I have not yet.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana

If you were really interested in finding and participating in training opportunities you would have found at least a few under $100 by now. As other mentioned, we've had classes below $100 since our inception. Matt Pierce's PD training is also very reasonable.

I haven't seen anything for less than $250. :dunno:

Seriously? Where have you looked? How hard? Who have you asked? Have you not seen the Adaptive Consulting & Training ads on here? Or the other advertisers? Have you ever actually looked in the tactics and training forum, where someone would logically look to find such opportunities?

For what it's worth, our half day classes are $65 and our one day classes are $125. There are others in the same range and some less.

Thanks. I'd imagine at that price they are teaching you the 4 safety laws and how to hold the gun.

Is that a problem in some way? Most people who seek training do so because they need and want to learn those things. Many people who think they know how to hold a gun (or a lot of other things) are mistaken, but they don't know what they don't know.

That's probably the biggest revelation to most who enter into the world participating in formal firearms instruction: they didn't realize what they did not know because they had no proper frame of reference. That was certainly one of the first things I realized and a big part of why I continue to take classes as a student.

Given that, while I fully realize that financial concerns truly are a limiting factor for some. If you're choosing between rent and bullets or diapers for the kids and a basic handgun class, it would be tough for anyone to assert that training is higher priority, at least at this time. I understand this and in fact, it is unlikely that many people reading this have a gross income lower than mine, unless their unemployment benefits have expired.

However, a far greater number of people simply choose to place less value on firearms (and related) training than they do with some other optional expenses in their lives. That's their choice and I can't say it's wrong for them. I can say, however, that for those people, claiming that they "can't afford it" is a tenuous argument at best. If they really wanted to participate in a class, they would. I have more respect for someone who just says "I don't want to do that," or "I choose to spend my time and money on other things." In my opinion, those are significantly more valid than most of the exuses I've read and heard. And before anyone gets their tighty whities in a bunch, if this commentary doesn't apply to you, then . . . it doesn't apply to you, so you don't need to let it upset you.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    If you were really interested in finding and participating in training opportunities you would have found at least a few under $100 by now. As other mentioned, we've had classes below $100 since our inception. Matt Pierce's PD training is also very reasonable.

Seriously? Where have you looked? How hard? Who have you asked? Have you not seen the Adaptive Consulting & Training ads on here? Or the other advertisers? Have you ever actually looked in the tactics and training forum, where someone would logically look to find such opportunities?

For what it's worth, our half day classes are $65 and our one day classes are $125. There are others in the same range and some less.

Is that a problem in some way? Most people who seek training do so because they need and want to learn those things. Many people who think they know how to hold a gun (or a lot of other things) are mistaken, but they don't know what they don't know.

That's probably the biggest revelation to most who enter into the world participating in formal firearms instruction: they didn't realize what they did not know because they had no proper frame of reference. That was certainly one of the first things I realized and a big part of why I continue to take classes as a student.

Given that, while I fully realize that financial concerns truly are a limiting factor for some. If you're choosing between rent and bullets or diapers for the kids and a basic handgun class, it would be tough for anyone to assert that training is higher priority, at least at this time. I understand this and in fact, it is unlikely that many people reading this have a gross income lower than mine, unless their unemployment benefits have expired.

However, a far greater number of people simply choose to place less value on firearms (and related) training than they do with some other optional expenses in their lives. That's their choice and I can't say it's wrong for them. I can say, however, that for those people, claiming that they "can't afford it" is a tenuous argument at best. If they really wanted to participate in a class, they would. I have more respect for someone who just says "I don't want to do that," or "I choose to spend my time and money on other things." In my opinion, those are significantly more valid than most of the exuses I've read and heard. And before anyone gets their tighty whities in a bunch, if this commentary doesn't apply to you, then . . . it doesn't apply to you, so you don't need to let it upset you.

+1 :yesway:
    ACT has a great line up of classes and you will definitely get your money's worth. I have taken all of them except defensive rifle,when I get one, I will take their class first. They are GREAT with new shooters,ladies and kids.
    For some reason my daughters just Love the Rhino :dunno:even after they found out he teaches math.:)
    I wanted to get them some basic training that didn't come from dad ,because as we all know ,after a certain age dad doesn't know anything;). they got that and more

If you carry a gun for personal protection,shoot in competition or just keep a gun in the house . You and your family should have some defensive training. It will give you much to think about and improve your skills. It's more than worth skipping a couple of dinners out :twocents:

Top Bottom