Why DON'T you take any firearms training classes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Why don't you take any firearms training classes?

• Total voters

IndyGunSafety

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Fishers, IN
    I think you missed something here. One of the options is being trained by a family member. Why do we always think that training must come from some "professional"? There can (not always) be competent family members who are able to train others.

I am not discounting that there are many people who need to obtain training from courses but I do not think that needs to be the first or last course of action for everybody.

As a professional trainer, I often deal with people who have been "trained" by their "uncle who's a cop", or their dad, or husband or whatever. When they ask to see a gun in the shop, they don't clear it, put thier finger on the trigger, and point the gun at my chest or at a loved on who is with them.

If you wanted to learn to fly, would you go to your "friend who knows about flying", or to a certified flight instructor who has the knowledge, skills, education, and experience to train you?

When Ohio first put out their CCW program I had to take the NRA Basic Pistol Course. I was not happy. I had been shooting since age 5, hunting since 12, qualified expert on the 1911 during basic training at 17, and had been a competitive shooter for over 20 year. I sat through the class thinking to myself "Wow, I didn't know that" OVER AND OVER AGAIN.

Nothing beats professional instruction from certified instructors.

From experience I can tell you, if you have never taken a formal course from a certified instructor, any 13 year old girl who has taken NRA basic pistol, rifle, and/or shotgun, is safer than you, handles guns better than you, and can 'prolly SHOOT better than you! I mean that! It's not rocket science. You simply have to be introduced to all of the concepts, and if you have never had formal training you are missing pieces of the puzzle.

I used to offer your money back if you felt you didn't learn anything from our courses. Nobody EVER took me up on it because most are humbled by what they didn't know, so it became pointless to offer.

One last interesting point: Just yesterday in my Basic Pistol Course, I had a lady in her 60's who had never fired a gun before. I also had "experienced" shooters in the course. With 4 different semi-auto's and revolvers, she shot 40 rounds inside the center ring of a paper plate (about 6") from 20 feet. She never flinched, keep her grip and stance consistent and shot the pants off of everyone else in the course. This happens all the time. Professional instruction lays down a foundation of safety and fundamentals, some of which that are missed by "your dad". :twocents:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Many (non-professionals) have taught others to shoot, and have done so safely, and comprehensively. On the other hand, many have not been thorough enough, and serious gaps have been left in training. Often the difference doesn't show until a tragedy occurs. I've seen some shooters fresh out of a "class" whose instructor had to be "less than adequate".

Many "instructors" simply toss money at sources of certification, read a few books, or online articles, and start teaching. Get references BEFORE you take a class.

Walter Zoomie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2008
    BeechTucky
    I think I would benefit from some tactical and technique training (who wouldn't?), but I think I know just enough to be dangerous!

The thing is I simply don't have time with three teens in high school and working dicked up hours to feed their ravenous appetites..

The way it ends up with my schedule is I effectively only get one full day off a week, and I'm usually worn the hell out by that time.

If I get a chance to go to a range and plink...which isn't nearly often enough...I want it to be fun and with people who are important to me...family and like-minded good friends.

To me shooting is a sacred event...kinda like breaking bread or drinking a beer with someone. It should be cool and relaxing and special, and I won't do it with just anyone.

Classes may ruin a rare and special activity for me.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't want a good shoot spoiled.

Does any of this make any sense?

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I took hours of firearms classes during a couple of weeks before I ever bought my first gun.I trained with rifles, semi-auto and revolver of all kind of calibers to find out what I wanted to get.
    I thought it was common sense to do so but I guess its not that common.
    Its what people do with cars, you take driving lessons and then you drive on your own.You dont just take a car and think that you will find out things on your own after a couple of trips on the road all by yourself.

Classes are good, I will take more in the future if I find a good one and have the money for it.
    It can never hurt to take a class even if you are "an expert".I know a guy who firearm instructor and who has been teaching for decades to both military, LEOs and civilians and still when he can he takes basic pistol classes.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I've noticed that the big reasons people have for not taking a class are common.

Dont' have the time. Too expensive. Can't find a place more local. Don't want to look like a noob in front of others.

There's nothing wrong with those reasons! But, there is a solution.

ACT, an INGO advertiser, can fix you right up. Their prices run from $40-125 a class. You can pay $40 for a 4 hour class! You can't find anyone else that charges prices like that. They're perfect for the average person who can't afford to take the high dollar class.

If you contact ACT, they will arange a time and place for you, you're choice, and meet you at any range for some 1-on-1 time. This could also solve your fears of looking like a noob. But, in a regular class, they never make you feel that way anyway.

And no, I'm not affiliated with ACT in anyway! But they are more than welcome to send money my way :):

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    For me it's mostly do to money. It's hard to fork out $200. I could save a year an advance, but something normaly arises, and the money is gone.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    For me it's mostly do to money.

You're not alone. I think this is the case for 99% of those who take no or little training. Many times the time or travel aspects are also related to money.

I try to think of it this way-- you can buy a new gun, or you can buy some training with your current guns. Rather than "save up for training", simply re-budget your firearms fund.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    I teach basics, and personal protection classes, and I have for many years. I don't make a living at it. I'm retired, and I very much enjoy teaching the classes. I've taught many folks for free, and I've taken payments to avoid "charity" or "pity" inferences, and I've not been sorry about it. Being able to enjoy shooting safely, and having a basic idea of how to protect yourself, shouldn't be restricted to those who have deep pockets. I teach Basic Rifle or Pistol (8 hours), AND Personal protection (8-10 hours) for $125...at a private range... one-on-one or groups up to 5 folks, and I have for many years. I hand out a business card now and then, but 98% of my advertising is word of mouth....and I'm doing just fine with that. :)

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    I actually have, will, and enjoy training courses. I would really like to take more in the future. Biggest thing that keeps me from attending more is time, cost and location. I would like to start bringing my wife with me. That means finding a sitter for kids, traveling to the range, fees and ammo for two people. Put all that together and it limits what we can do.
    This pretty much sums it up for me, too. If I let Lars go by himself, I get jealous, and while he may not admit it, he'd probably feel the same way if I went and he didn't. We've kind of found a solution in Appleseed, though. :): He's an IIT, and I'm a girl so I shoot for free, so really, our only expenses are the ammo for 1 and any travel-related expenses. Now I just need to carve out the time. :n00b:

I voted "afraid to look like a noob...". I just am a bit out of touch with practical aspects of using a firearm and don't know anyone who is up to speed and has taken a class. I will one of these days, I just need to crawl outta my shell... I would like to become more involved in group shoots or classes, especially if they are somewhat local.
    Ok, so the first year I was into firearms, we took 4 or 5 different trainings that year. Except for one class where there was one other girl who had NEVER taken a training before (and for the record, that was an Intro to FoF), I was definitely the absolute n00b in the group. Don't let it get you down. You'll find that the others in the class are more likely to try to help you (heh.. which may not always be a good thing) than they are to look down on you for holding them back to the basics (because chances are, you won't be). As an example, the second class I took was for INGO members only. I remember a certain lawyer saying he had over 600 hours of training time in, commenting, "Some lawyers play golf on their days off. I like to go train."

I haven't looked hard but I can't say I've seen many beginner classes. I've had pretty much zero training and wouldn't want to get into a class that I wasn't ready for. At the Southside get together at Shallo's last year theweakerbrother did advise me to take the PD training in New Castle this year and I'm planning on attending.
    Just about any firearms shop or range I've been to can get you in touch with an NRA Basic Pistol class. Definitely take a look through the Training forum we have here because I'm always seeing Basic type classes offered by the training companies who post here. Taking Matt's class is a good start. :yesway:
    To me shooting is a sacred event...kinda like breaking bread or drinking a beer with someone. It should be cool and relaxing and special, and I won't do it with just anyone.

Does any of this make any sense?
    Yep, makes perfect sense!
    And it also sounds like we need to have an INGO-only training class with some of your bestest friends! :)

I've noticed that the big reasons people have for not taking a class are common.

Dont' have the time. Too expensive. Can't find a place more local. Don't want to look like a noob in front of others.

There's nothing wrong with those reasons! But, there is a solution.

ACT, an INGO advertiser, can fix you right up. Their prices run from $40-125 a class. You can pay $40 for a 4 hour class! You can't find anyone else that charges prices like that. They're perfect for the average person who can't afford to take the high dollar class.

If you contact ACT, they will arange a time and place for you, you're choice, and meet you at any range for some 1-on-1 time. This could also solve your fears of looking like a noob. But, in a regular class, they never make you feel that way anyway.

And no, I'm not affiliated with ACT in anyway! But they are more than welcome to send money my way :):
    Thank you for supporting ACT! :): Their prices are definitely in the right place, but you also have to factor in ammo and travel and food and a babysitter. It's more than just the cost of the specific training. Fortunately we're stocked up on ammo again finally. :):

XtremeVel

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I need to go and I realize it. I have shot regularly since I was 8, but only since I have been a member here, have realized just how many opportunities there are.

Time and location would be a couple of factors that come to mind first as to why I haven't done it yet.

Indecisiveness would be another one. Yesterday, I had a G32 in my holster all day... Now, since I will be with wife all day, I will be carring the G19. ( I like the ability to share mags with her G19) As of right now, I can't decide and commit to even what my everyday carry will be. :dunno:

Lastly would be a little of the emabarresment factor... I am sure I have picked up a few bad habits over the last 30 years... But honestly, not sure if I would be willing to change them ALL.

Cru

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2010
    Noblesville, IN
    I've never taken a training class with ACT, but I will consider hitting them up when they are at MCFG. I've heard good things about them, and I feel comfortable at MCFG since it's the club I belong to. Never been to a bad event there.

Also, for those that don't know, you can sometimes find FREE training at get togethers if HandK (gary) shows up. He is VERY generous to DONATE his time and supplies to give free training to those that can show up. I know he has done this on at least three occasions.

PW2 and PW3 (shoots that were organized on this site) and again at another private get together. For any ladies, there will be a LADIES ONLY training session with HandK later this spring.

He's driven from Michigan to near EVANSVILLE, on his own dime to train people, because he cares about being safe, and being prepared for situations where you need to defend yourself.

So while I am very lucky to have known about and be able to attend these events, I guess I'm saying if you REALLY CAN'T afford it, there are ways to get some training for yourself.

yikes

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    South of Gnaw Bone
    There is no yellow belt, blue belt, black belt, 7th degree type "badge of honor". That would increase the "cool" factor of being trained. And justify the cost.

us_agent

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2010
    I wouldn't mind taking one. Watched a few shows on spike tv last year that gave good information. Not sure where any would be around here or what the cost would be either. Are these courses expensive?

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    Like everthing else, cost varies. From about $50 bucks for a half day course to several hundred $ for weekend long courses. Check out ACT, an INGO sponser, They are having a basic pistol course @ MCF&G in May. Search "ACT basic pistol" in the thread search. Or contact Coach or Rhino on INGO.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    If you're a self-starter, capable of learning and practicing from written material and photos, spend your money on more practice ammunition. Lots of good instructors have books on the "when" and "how" (Farnam, Ayoob, Taylor, etc...).

If you learn much better by hands-on demonstration, then take classes where possible.

The forum here is also a decent starting place on the "when" and "how".

Or, just do all three and see how each works for you.

Love the 1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2010
    I hate to say I'm cheap, but... well, I sorta am.

I took the Intro to Defensive Pistol class taught by Sheriff K. Campbell last fall -- LOVED IT. And at $150 for the 2-day course it felt very reasonable, especially when compared to the price of classes by visiting instructors from Gunsite and the such. At the same time I realize you want highly skilled people when it comes to firearms.

But then you add on the cost of 300-400-500 rounds...

I'm hoping to get over this and take a few more classes this year.

This is my exact thinking. Perhaps I could purchase a 9mm to cut down on ammo costs but right now only have .45's.

I also worry about finding the right class so I don't feel like a noob but also don't go back to the very basics that I am familiar with. (I still would like to take some NRA safety classes, you can never get enough basic safety instruction)

Shooting time in a class is another worry of mine. When rounds are costing around $.40 each, missing out on even the smallest bit of instruction can cost a lot. With the cost of a lot of classes, it would seem that there is no need to have more than 2 students per instructor. I'm sure that's probably unrealistic but dropping $200-$400 for a 2 day course seems to leave plenty of money to pay for the range and an instructor to me.

My last concern can be ties in with the amount of students to instructors. I've been swept by other officers on a range before and we all know that police officers have years of training with weapons. I can't imagine if I had to attend a class with a bunch of noob citizens that have only been using guns in unsupervised and untrained conditions for 10 or 20 years:D

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Interesting poll results so far. Seems to be that money and location are the top factors keeping folks out of the training realm and I can't say that I'm surprised by that.

For the few folks who answered "it's too tacticool for me", provided you weren't joking, would you care to explain further?

Top Bottom