• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    I have a Glock-and I love it. That being said, I would love to have a Ruger p95. I have heard nothing bad about it. They are only $300 bucks at Bud's.
    Ruger P95 9mm Blue, w Rail 15 round $300.00 SHIPS FREE

I just sold a Ruger LCP and not a day goes by that I don't regret it. I wish I still had the Ruger mini-14 that I sold ten years ago. For that fact, I wish I had the Beretta 92 that I sold to a friend. I wouldn't get to hung up on what people think as long as you are comfortable with your gun. They are all good guns and I wish I could afford to own one of each.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Yeah. I've had two. The open top seems to be a dirt magnet plus some hollow points have ridiculous FTFs with it. The lawman comes to mind. I sold them both but can't get the thought of one out of my mind and will probably buy one again....lol

I was just asking because I have never seen one malfunction. I have ran quit a few brands of FMJ's and JHP's through mine with no issue.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    They are that accurate and it's the thing about them that I hate. Huge, bulky gun with a jam prone action...but they shoot so dang straight. Makes them so tempting.

Jam prone action? They are one of the most reliable guns made!

The thing that will get you about Berettas isn't their superb accuracy, incredible reliability, or even their beauty. It's how SMOOOOOOTH they are. They just ooze the 500+ years of gun making behind them.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Very true. I just know if it's there I just may use it at some point and then always wonder if it's on or off. Sounds crazy, but I only feel comfortable with the 1911 safeties.

You may like the SR series then. They've got a frame mounted 1911 type safety there to be used or not as you wish.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    I'm no grand master either but its dam seldom I hear anything positive out of Jack Ryan, Professional Wet Blanket. If you can't add something positive, helpful, or useful, go back to sleep.:twocents:

May be you just don't listen.

I like every Ruger I own. None of them are for sale so I really don't care if any one else likes them or not. I never hear if they do or not because I don't ask them. If peer pressure bothers people about their choices then they shouldn't post about them in a public forum. Public forums are for people to express their opinions and posting a thread in one is an open invitation to comment.

That one's free you can keep your two cents.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 5, 2010
    Hollow log
    Glocks are a love/hate relationship, Beretta has their own fan club, and I never had good experience with my ruger p345.

I love the ruger p345, it felt the best of any guns I've ever held but jams like nobody's business. I would love to have another one, but my experience scares me away every time.

People are going to love what you picked out, and people are going to hate. shake the dust off of your shoulder and pick what you like.

I had one, and I had the same experience - it would jam up at least once, sometimes twice per mag with ALL ammo....

I complained to the range manager (BIG tall and hefty guy) about it, and he offered to take a look... He watched me shoot it, and it jammed. Then HE shot it, and 3 mags flew down range like a sewing machine.

He turned to me and said "Stop limp-wristing you fairy", then walked away.

Long story short, IT WAS ME, NOT THE GUN. At the time I would have told you the gun was a POS and my technique was perfect... but the real world slapped me in the face and proved me wrong - a few months later my dad had the same experience with a Glock 30; it jammed constantly for him, and shot perfectly for me.

Anyway, the point of this is not to attack you, but rather to illustrate something I have seen over and over again in my shooting career.

Caleb

Making whiskey, one batch at a time!
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    I had one, and I had the same experience - it would jam up at least once, sometimes twice per mag with ALL ammo....

I complained to the range manager (BIG tall and hefty guy) about it, and he offered to take a look... He watched me shoot it, and it jammed. Then HE shot it, and 3 mags flew down range like a sewing machine.

He turned to me and said "Stop limp-wristing you fairy", then walked away.

Long story short, IT WAS ME, NOT THE GUN. At the time I would have told you the gun was a POS and my technique was perfect... but the real world slapped me in the face and proved me wrong - a few months later my dad had the same experience with a Glock 30; it jammed constantly for him, and shot perfectly for me.

Anyway, the point of this is not to attack you, but rather to illustrate something I have seen over and over again in my shooting career.

Now that gives me hope, perhaps I'll look at another one soon since I'm pretty sure I got me a job now! :D

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Orsetto +1... Limp wristing has been the cause for a lot of failures in all kinds of pistols functioning since the first pistols hit the market and it still remains one of the first reasons to look at when your pistol stops functioning. I've got a couple Beretta's and have not had any problems with them in function or reliability, they always go bang and hit what I'm standing in front of... On the limp wristing problem, this is one of the reasons Smith came out with the R8 8 shot 357 mag revolver, thier shield gun. You can't limp wrist a revolver and effect it's functioning, and being that officers have to hold a bullet proof shield up with one hand/arm when making a entry, they only get one hand to fire thier weapon, so along came the R8, which gave the officer 8 good solid shots before he would need both hands to operate his firearm...

It's a personal thing, the whole I like this pistol or revolver or rifle etc. and someone else doesn't like them... If you don't like them then don't buy them... I personally like most of what Ruger puts out, just not the P85/90 series and the mini14's again just personal... I got a half dozen assorted 1022's that make it out to the range almost everytime I go though... The MKII is a charm, I call the Ruger 77VT in 223 remmy my video gun when I get out to South Dakota... So I don't bash Ruger at all...

Side note, I bought a MPA30 which is a MAC-11 semi-auto version made by Masterpiece Arm's for a prop in one of my Girl's N Gun's poster shots... Felt funny buying it, as all the talk on the net was that it was a jamomatic, and really I've been more of a military and finer pistol collector type for most of my shooting life, but it was the perfect gun for the picture I wanted to shoot... sooo in it came and the pictures were shot... I thought well it's time to get rid of this boat anchor... but wait, it seems so unlike me not to fire a brand new firearm before I got rid of it... Sooo off to the range and you know that thing is still back words for my taste but it still has a rightful place in my safe and goes out to the range quite a lot... because I've never cleaned it and it has fired upwards of 6500 assorted 9mm rounds and is very accurate at pistol ranges... So even if you don't like it you might find something that is ugly, totally dis-tasteful in the firearm world that you just can't live without....

That's my .02 cents worth.... well more like a quarter, does anyone have change ???

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    Orsetto +1... Limp wristing has been the cause for a lot of failures in all kinds of pistols functioning since the first pistols hit the market and it still remains one of the first reasons to look at when your pistol stops functioning. I've got a couple Beretta's and have not had any problems with them in function or reliability, they always go bang and hit what I'm standing in front of... On the limp wristing problem, this is one of the reasons Smith came out with the R8 8 shot 357 mag revolver, thier shield gun. You can't limp wrist a revolver and effect it's functioning, and being that officers have to hold a bullet proof shield up with one hand/arm when making a entry, they only get one hand to fire thier weapon, so along came the R8, which gave the officer 8 good solid shots before he would need both hands to operate his firearm...

I never had any limp wrist problems with any other pistol I shot, so idk... :dunno:

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The only ammo my 92FS would not cycle is flat nose + P. During my time in the service I never saw a 92 malfunction unless it was do to operator error. The stations guns had who knows how many thousands of rounds ran through then. I would carry mine but it's a limited edition. I trust my like 100% with it. It's an accurate pistol but I do shoot my FN better.

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    maybe more or less felt recoil, maybe hand position on grip between both firearms, maybe stance while firing... Could be fit and finish of one action versus the other... and then there still is the fact that it could be a given load in that gun, aftermarket or troublesome magazines, etc... You could always take it out to one of the meet and shoots and see if other shooters have the same FTF problems your having, and try someone else's same exact gun and see if you have the problem... Cause reliability hasn't been a problem with any of my Berettas and I've gone through quite a few of them....

SKSnut

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2010
    Ruger is smith and wesson quality at half the price. Great guns, built well and completely reliable.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    maybe more or less felt recoil, maybe hand position on grip between both firearms, maybe stance while firing... Could be fit and finish of one action versus the other... and then there still is the fact that it could be a given load in that gun, aftermarket or troublesome magazines, etc... You could always take it out to one of the meet and shoots and see if other shooters have the same FTF problems your having, and try someone else's same exact gun and see if you have the problem... Cause reliability hasn't been a problem with any of my Berettas and I've gone through quite a few of them....

I changed all the springs to see if the problem resolved, but never thought about trying a difference mag then the two that were included.

Caleb

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 11, 2008
    Columbus, IN
    gunbunnies, you are going to make me cry talking about ruger p345's. Take down on that gun was a dream, in fact, I can hold the slide just right with my left hand and pop the slide stop with my right hand. I can tear it down, clean it, and put it back together out at the range with no tools and some cleaners. pretty impressed imho, my only complaint was the jams and probably the finish. I would have liked an all black or partly olive drab gun....hmmm.... *looking up hoosierguncoat*

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    Celeb, Well, if you ever want to work out your issue, I could try to meet you out at a firing range somewhere and see what you got going on... Could be the gun, but might not... The magazines are the center point to a semi-auto's ability to function. I've set 1911A1 45 mag's feed lips to expend the loaded round right out the top of the gun rather than chamber it when hand cycling or dropping the slide to go into battery and had much fun watching the guy trying to load his gun for a firing session, just to think that his gun didn't work and was broken... No when doing this it was with friends and I did show him what was wrong with the magazine quickly.... but it is a blast to watch.... You can also setup a 1911A1 to hand cycle empty brass, but it doesn't mean that the gun is more or less reliable than another that won't do that... The magazine is the achilies heel of the semi-auto firearm... Let me know if you want to get together....

gunbunnies

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    NWI
    I'm getting ready to have a bud of mine do a duracoat job on one of mine in Multicam... Should be pretty cool... he does his paint jobs in the garage so I gotta wait till spring to have it done... Indy shows coming up in another couple weeks I believe... good place to pick up another Beretta... and if you have problems with that one, and we can comeup with a central located firing range to meet at I can bring a dozen or so magazines to try in it...

Top Bottom