Why does FLORIDA HIGHWAY PATROL need this ???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    :rockwoot: See we do agree on some things;)

Like the fact that Dross has a crush on ya
    shss.gif

He doesn't know that I know. :cool:

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The G20 summit. Ugh, there is one even I want to stay FAR AWAY from Indianapolis. Nothing but trouble. Lots of groups converge there to do nothing but destroy and cause havoc. That is the first civilian application I know of. I bet PPD got a great deal on it from the G20 coming to town.
    I went to a school recently. There was a riot control officer there from Seattle. He talked about the problem they had there. They were averaging shooting 3500 CS shells per day. They had to Call Denver for more. He talked about the "flash mobs", the infrastructure they had and their tactics. They are a very organized group that came from all over the world to protest. I would like to see them try to turn over one of those APCs. Some of their riot squads worked two days straight.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    I went to a school recently. There was a riot control officer there from Seattle. He talked about the problem they had there. They were averaging shooting 3500 CS shells per day. They had to Call Denver for more. He talked about the "flash mobs", the infrastructure they had and their tactics. They are a very organized group that came from all over the world to protest. I would like to see them try to turn over one of those APCs. Some of their riot squads worked two days straight.
    Yeah, I'm on our "riot control" so I'd be the first to get thrown into that hot mess. No thanks.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Yeah, I'm on our "riot control" so I'd be the first to get thrown into that hot mess. No thanks.

Good to know. If I decide to run down there and flip a few cars over and set them on fire, I will feel better that I know the guy that whacks me with his baton :D

gunman41mag

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 1, 2011
    SOUTH of YOU

You should see what MIAMI POLICE did to those organized group of thugs;)

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    Civil unrest can happen anywhere and at anytime. A couple or three placed in strategic places can be advantageous for police departments. Used for dynamic entry, crowd control, getting officers into locations or in the case of the LA shootout getting officers and citizens out. Sounds to me like they got a good deal on them.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Nuclear facilities have been secured with military-style weapons and equipment and civilian contractors since at least the 1980s. I know because I worked for Wackenhut in the mid-80s and the South Texas Nuclear Plant was one of our contracts.

The toys shown in the article on Oak Ridge are brand new post-9/11. After 9/11 the money poured into Knoxville like a high-pressure water hose and they were in the Knoxville gun shops like bums on ham sandwhiches ordering one of each in the Heckler und Koch catalog.

Pre-9/11 it was guys dressed like Barney Fife with .38s at Oak Ridge. After 9/11 everyone has to dress like 5th SS Panzer Wiking and more importantly spend (our) money on toys.:rolleyes:

Civil unrest can happen anywhere and at anytime.

In the minds of those that must justify budgets, yes. In reality, no.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    The tanks and toys always bring out the "what ifs" in those justifying the taxpayer money.

Hang around the police and it always sounds like the first week of a martial arts class. "What if he had a pointed stick, or a knife, or a gun, or a plum." "What if the city is attacked by Godzilla that knew Wing Chun."

The cops get their toys, I mean what politicians wants to be known as the person responsible for Indianapolis being attacked by a Wing Chun trained Godzilla with a plum and pointed stick?, and then promptly use their toys to do donuts around the Davidian compound or to raid chicken breeders for the cameras.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The tanks and toys always bring out the "what ifs" in those justifying the taxpayer money.

Hang around the police and it always sounds like the first week of a martial arts class. "What if he had a pointed stick, or a knife, or a gun, or a plum." "What if the city is attacked by Godzilla that knew Wing Chun."

The cops get their toys, I mean what politicians wants to be known as the person responsible for Indianapolis being attacked by a Wing Chun trained Godzilla with a plum and pointed stick?, and then promptly use their toys to do donuts around the Davidian compound or to raid chicken breeders for the cameras.
    IMO
    You need a break.
    You've been working too hard. ;)

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia

You're really starting to stretch, Kirk. It sounds like IMPD has used their APC to save lives and take down well-armed bad guys as many times or more times than 99% of INGO members have needed their handguns to defend themselves. I bet you've got your handgun on your belt or within arms reach though, right? Actually, I believe you've stated that you carry multiple handguns if I recall correctly. You never know when you may need a backup I guess. Every member of this board is playing the "what if" game. The military also plays the "what if" game, firefighters play the "what if" game, and police play the "what if" game. You make it sound as if the police are practicing to repel Cyborg attacks or some other event that has never happened. Several members of IMPD have stated in this very thread that not only is there a practical use for the equipment, but they have used the equipment as it was intended to be used. Hardly the equivalent of facing Godzilla armed with a plum and pointed stick.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    You make it sound as if the police are practicing to repel Cyborg attacks or some other event that has never happened.

Ummm, what else would you use a minigun for? There are no Cyborgs in Knoxville. Well, Professor Glenn Reynolds wants to be one, but there are no Cyborgs in Knoxville that will attack Oak Ridge.

Several members of IMPD have stated in this very thread that not only is there a practical use for the equipment, but they have used the equipment as it was intended to be used.

The equipment that I was referencing? IMPD has a minigun like the dorks at Oak Ridge???:n00b:

Or, are you just talking about their armored car?

As for myself, I don't care if IMPD has used it. They shouldn't have it. It serves as a springboard for more and more toys.

Let Godzilla come. He won't and you won't need your toys.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Yes, I'll use fresh fruit which keeps Godzillas away from Indianapolis.

Suggested cop riot control training. This is just as effective as buying them tanks and toys:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=piWCBOsJr-w[/ame]

lrahm

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 17, 2011
    Newburgh
    The toys shown in the article on Oak Ridge are brand new post-9/11. After 9/11 the money poured into Knoxville like a high-pressure water hose and they were in the Knoxville gun shops like bums on ham sandwhiches ordering one of each in the Heckler und Koch catalog.

Pre-9/11 it was guys dressed like Barney Fife with .38s at Oak Ridge. After 9/11 everyone has to dress like 5th SS Panzer Wiking and more importantly spend (our) money on toys.:rolleyes:

In the minds of those that must justify budgets, yes. In reality, no.
    About 8 years ago we were given the option of using the BDU style uniform. The honestly have been great. I carry about 20 pounds of gear when I get out of the car, most is the vest and gun belt but there are several other things that I carry now that I couldn't have with the class A uniform. There are pockets all over them. Plus, working second and third shift it's loose enough going over fences. Easier to clean also. The big thing is we pay for them ourselves. Yes we get a uniform allowance and have to maintain 1 class A uniform. As far as the pistols, we started to transition to semi automatic pistols way before 9-11. I hope that clears things up a little.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom