Why does everyone NEED an AR now for $1500..

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    You guy's are missing the point....of course we do not "Need" these guns. It is a question of why jump when the prices skyrocket. It is more directed at the gougers and sheeple. Just something to stir up opinion and conversation....just like we are having right now. Not a stupid question at all.

JMHO.....
    CM

No doubt that stupid questions make for interesting conversations. :D

Seriously, my point is that people have different reasons for doing what they're doing and I'm not going to fault them. But that doesn't mean I'm not a bit irritated at the people who gouge, and the people who are so willingly gouged. I don't typically stockpile ammo and I'm starting to run low. Now I'll have to wait until it's available at a reasonable price.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As fun and accurate as AR rifles are, they are not the only thing out there. I would not feel ill equiped with a 30-06 bolt action on my back and a .357 in my holster. Recreational, hunting, self defense. As long as I still have a brain in my head, I'll probably survive.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    But my Remington742 .30-06 has a leather sling, 2 sling swivels and a walnut stock.
    The Redfield has a duplex reticle and no target knobs and is...............polished.

The lack of Tacticool has no doubt typed my obit.

jtmason15

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    May 23, 2012
    Grant County
    I myself bought two AR's in one day but I bought them for normal prices. I did not pay above the msrp. I wanted to have some back and if things did calm down then I could sell one and at least get out of them what I bought them for. So I wasn't really worried about it. But the people who are paying way above MSRP, that just seems crazy to me.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    No doubt that stupid questions make for interesting conversations. :D

Seriously, my point is that people have different reasons for doing what they're doing and I'm not going to fault them. But that doesn't mean I'm not a bit irritated at the people who gouge, and the people who are so willingly gouged. I don't typically stockpile ammo and I'm starting to run low. Now I'll have to wait until it's available at a reasonable price.

Timing is a factor in this. We used a lot of ammo this summer at the range and in the woods. I started to replenish just as all this madness was coming to a head and I beat the rush but only by a minute. My last purchase was .308 and I could not find the bulk amounts that were there just the day before. Had to buy smaller lots and pay a bit more per round but we are well above our normal levels.

My remarks are along the same lines as both you and stickfighter. The mentality involved is like mob madness.

Be safe.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    But my Remington742 .30-06 has a leather sling, 2 sling swivels and a walnut stock.
    The Redfield has a duplex reticle and no target knobs and is...............polished.

The lack of Tacticool has no doubt typed my obit.

May not be Mall-Ninja cool but odds are it will reach way out and touch something.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    I will answer honestly.

I am still a typical firearms noob. Got my first carry pistol about 9 months ago, and as every noob does I ended up eyeballing an learning a little about ARs. I didn't need one, but I wanted one. I didn't want one right now, I just wanted one "later".

I have been watching all the hype and was telling my wife about the whole mess. We decided that if there is a chance that the sale of a product might become illegal in the future for an undetermined length of time, that one should purchase one now if one wants one before that happens.

As I do in fact want one, I purchased one 3 days ago. Paid $799 for a Windham in 5.56. Is that a higher price than I would have paid a week ago? Possibly , but I do not have a time machine.

I don't need this particular rifle, but I wanted it so I purchased it now because I may not be legally able to do so in the time frame of "later" that I was planning on.

If the product in the same situation were priced at $1500 at all the sources I could find and I bought it, the reasoning would have been the same. Do I want to gamble that the product will not be banned and buy at a lower cost later or gamble that the product will be banned and pay a higher price now.

My decision may have been a good one or a poor one but if someone has been thinking about purchasing an AR, recent events force them to make one of those two choices.

Last edited:

racersden

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2011
    Evansville
    I have been working in my friends gun store a couple hours after work every day.
    I have never seen AR's fly off the shelves so fast. I saws people clutching them like there was no tomorrow. People did not even want to look at handguns they just pointed and said I want that one.

It was crazy! Thought it would slow down with no AR's to sell! HAH!

It sure was fun!

Glen

karatejoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 4, 2012
    Greenwood
    im waiting for these guys buying now to need money later and sell their guns. When the frenzy is over the gun is worth less than half of what they paid. Just like the housing market.

dominicandemon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 26, 2011
    St. Augustine, Florida
    Why do any of you care how other people spend their money? Why do you think you should be able to price other people's things?

No one anywhere is being forced to buy any of this stuff. Buyers and sellers are voluntarily engaging in commerce at mutually agreeable prices. No one is being duped or taken advantage of in any way. This isn't bottled water after a disaster. It isn't heat in the middle of winter. This is Dutch tulips.

I wouldn't feel bad if someone wants to pay me more for a stock than I paid a day ago. Or an ounce of silver. Or gold. Or anything else no matter how long I've had it or why they want it.

Well said, as I said in another thread, this AR/AMMO/MAGAZINE is a WANT, not a NEED.

bowtie

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 28, 2012
    South Bend
    I dont get it either. Everyone I told after the election to buy one now all told me the same thing, " I dont have the money." Now these same people are willing to give up christmas for their loved ones and spend past 2k for an AR lol!

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    It is a lesson in investing.

I'll be more than happy to take it off their hands at wholesale come tax time. Once they start paying off the credit cards they maxed out to buy a gun, case, ammo, mags, etc. all at 200% of MSRP.

Thumper

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2009
    South Indy
    If you are old enough look at what happened with class 3 in 1986.It is happening again and there will be a ban and it will not expire.Society has changed and I am surprised it took so long for this to happen.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom