• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kameseri

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    B-Burg
    My father bought me my first gun (Marlin Model 60, tube, silver finish) that I use to this day. He stressed important firearm safety and carried something with him or in the car at all times.

I'm a firm believer in practicing with your equipment you use and plan on protecting you or your loved ones with, so my father and I have continuously worked on a range on his land that keeps evolving to meet our needs for different situations.

I think it's been said before but there is a very overwhelming satisfaction that comes from barely being able to see something in your scope, pulling the trigger and seeing the puff of smoke showing you've hit your target. Similar to pulling off that awesome field goal kick, or sweet soccer kick curve, throwing bullets long distances is what I love most.

My absolute favorite part is seeing the hit and smoke and waiting for the "DING" to reach you. Nothing better.

Fullmag

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Sep 4, 2011
    Once when watching a john Wayne Movie, the one where the bad guy is a gun shop owner, I thought I could smell Hoppe's #9. Yes, I have a serious addiction to guns. Also freely admit it, admission is the first step to recovery.

The satisfaction of working and saving to buy what I want and not really need. The idea that my family and home is protected. I love guns.

paintman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Dec 3, 2011
    new castle indiana
    My number one reason is protecting my family. (That is first a for most) other than that its just something about guns that calms me. I love taking them apart, refinishing or just buying and trading. I dont even have to be shooting to enjoy my guns. Heck i enjoy just buying more ammo. What ever it is about them guns just make me happy. Just like some are happy with cars or woman are with diamonds.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    Often people don't realize they have a subconscious fear of firearms which they've developed through cultural conditioning. Once they learn the psychology behind how this works it tends to open their eyes just enough for them to listen a little further. The fact that we naturally fear the unknown only makes this worse because people aren't generally educated in firearms anymore as they once were.

Then breaking out more facts directly in front of them as to the true need for firearms and how their mindset is manipulated by television often just keeps widening "their eyes" to truth. It's a painstakingly long process. One which requires a level of dedication, patience, persistence, and communcation skills that not many people posess, have had time to hone, or are willing to contribute.

It can be done though. I've converted numerous previously "anti-gun" personalities through several discussions over time, formal classes, etc. They just have to be willing to listen. My wife actually made her first successful "conversion" last week at work in a relatively short amount of time. Although, they weren't as strongly opposed to firearms as most I deal with it just goes to show it is possible.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Remember, you asked for this;

"Why the Gun IS Civilization"
    By Marko Kloos- September '07 Dillon Blue Press

Human beings only have two ways to deal with one another: reason and force. If you want me to do something for you, you have a choice of either convincing me via argument, or compelling me to do your bidding under threat of force.

Every human interaction falls into one of those two categories, without exception. Reason or force, that's it. In a truly moral and civilized society, people exclusively interact through persuasion.
    Force has no place as a valid method of social interaction and the only thing that removes force from the menu is the personal firearm, as paradoxical as it may sound to some. When I carry a gun, you cannot deal with me by force.
    You have to use reason and try to persuade me, because I have a way to negate your threat or employment of force.
    The gun is the only personal weapon that puts a 100 pound woman on equal footing with a 220 pound mugger, a 75 year old retiree on equal footing with a 19 year old gang banger,and a single gay guy on equal footing with a car-load of drunken guys with baseball bats.
    The gun removes the disparity in physical strength, size, or numbers between a potential attacker and a defender.

There are plenty of people who consider the gun as the source of bad force equations.
    These are the people who think that we'd be more civilized if all guns were removed from society, because a firearm makes it easier for an armed mugger to do his job.
    That, of course, is only true if the mugger's potential victims are mostly disarmed either by choice or by legislative fiat - it has no validity when most of a mugger's potential marks are armed.
    People who argue for the banning of arms ask for automatic rule by the young, the strong, and the many, and that's the exact opposite of a civilized society.

A mugger - even an armed one - can only make a successful living in society where the state has granted him a force monopoly.
    Then there's the argument that the gun makes confrontations lethal that otherwise would "only" result in injury.
    This argument is fallacious in several ways.
    Without guns involved, confrontations are won by the physically superior party inflicting overwhelming injury on the loser.
    People who think that fists, bats, sticks, or stones don't constitute lethal force watch too much T.V., where people take beatings and come out of it with a bloody lip, at worst.

The fact that the gun makes lethal force easier works solely in favor of a weak defender, not the strong attacker.
    If both armed, the field is level. The gun is the only weapon that's as lethal in the hands of octogenarians as it is in the hands of a weight-lifter.
    It simply wouldn't work as well as a force equalizer if it weren't both lethal and easily employable. hen I carry a gun, I don't do so because I'm looking for a fight, but because I'm looking to be left alone.
    The gun at my side means I cannot be forced, only persuaded.

I don't carry it because I'm afraid, but because it enables me to be unafraid. It doesn't limit the actions of those who would interact with me through reason, only the actions of those who would do so by force. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.

Racechase1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    Indy
    I grew up them. I remember the first time I fired a gun , a S+w 38, my father wrapping his hands around mine and instructing me in what to do. That was a long time ago, but a memory this old man will ever forget.

I passed this along to my sons, and their introducing it to my grandkids. It's a great American tradition that I'm proud to be a part of.

Also the challenge of the perfect shot. I may never achieve, but it's great to try.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    I think it's in my gene's. Lost my Grandfather in the mid 60's, yet every time I smell Hoppe's No. 9 or linseed oil. I can still see him. When I repair or handle a firearm I remember the dbl barrel bar gun he gave me to {play??} with. Must have taken it apart and refinished the pistol grip a thousand times. I own my maternal Grandfather's hawg gun, a Stevens Favorite, lost him when I was 4 days old. I have it and one good picture of him. I own my Father's squirrel rifle {52 Sporter} bought just after WW2. Uncle once told me he went 150 squirrels straight without a miss.Ya, don't think it's a matter of like or not, it's in the blood......:@ya:....<><Duce

EM45HP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2011
    Indianapolis/Bloomington
    I enjoy the challenge of, and developing the skills necessary to use them effectively

I desire to be able to defend myself, my family or anyone else with equal or better weapons than the opposition

I don't enjoy being prey

You can shoot guns and not kill

^THIS^

And the precision that each part must be built to and that gun operates within fascinates me. Also the concept of long range shooting and all the physics involved with long range shooting, all the factors that go into it. Takes me back to AP Physics with my then physics teacher and now close friend, Mrs. Matlock, who I got into shooting about a month ago :draw::ar15:

Long story short, I really love physics. :D

Nmathew24

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I don't like guns, I love them.

To answer the question, I enjoy spending time outside with friends and family shooting in the summer time. I also love being able to protect myself and loved ones when need be.

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    I was first attracted to guns and shooting simply because it is fun, secondly, because they can save lives. I tend to get too wrapped up in everyday life and overwhelmed by responsibilities; a few hours spent outdoors at the range, away from it all, makes me feel so much better.

drummerGunner

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 31, 2012
    The Haute
    One of the main reasons I enjoy the shooting sports derives from my father taking me out back and showing me how to shoot at age 7. Single shot .22 short, was my first gun that was my great grandfather's. To this day my dad and I go out back at his house and shoot. I remember when he bought me my first shotgun, he bought his first 9mm and the bonding of father and son at the range. I bought a Colt .380 when I was a little younger and the day I brought it home he was on the mower. I told him to stop the mower and showed him the new purchase. He took it and asked if it was loaded and I said, "Yes." He racked the slide emptied the mag into the ground and said thanks and put the pistol in his pocket. I didn't care because I bought it for him because he said he wanted a .380 that looked like a 1911. We still joke about that day. Growing up my dad was always working so when we could share some time together nothing was better than time at the range. And yes we still shoot together!!!

pinshooter45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 1, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I get asked this question all the time by some of my liberal & Democrat friends (Yeah I have a few!). And my response is always the same. I was never very Athletic in School, wasn't worth a :poop: at baseball, basketball or football (although I wasn't too bad a offense sometimes). But I had some uncles that took us shooting on occasion and I fell in love with it! It was the only sport I was any good at! And now that I am racked with osteoarthritis I feel the need to carry because I doubt I could out run or out fight a bad guy! And because it is a right! :patriot: :ingo:

brrytrry

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 24, 2012
    Guns are like breasts. I am just magically drawn to them. I don't know why I like them I just do.

Top Bottom