• ...and so much more!
  • boozoo

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2009
    NE Indy
    I grew up with them.

In my early years, we lived in the middle of a farm out in the country (Texas Panhandle). Guns weren't just for sport - they were a necessity for coyotes, rabid skunks, rattlesnakes, rats, and anyone wearing a burnt orange Longhorns jersey. ;)

But on top of that, Dad was a collector at a time when it didn't cost that much, and that tied my natural curiosity about history into things that go boom.

Now I'm as much fascinated with the collecting aspect as I am at proficiency and being able to fend for myself should the need arise.

That and I really enjoy pissing off liberals. :)

HnK

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 22, 2013
    I have a love for mechanical objects. Guns, cars and machine shop equipment are my favorites. Grew up shooting and playing in the shop with dad and it just kind of stuck.

Buckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 6, 2012
    Lafayette
    I view target shooting to be another skilled recreation along the lines of throwing darts, bowling, golfing, shooting a basketball. It takes skill and expertise, and the payoff is the intellectual reward of achieving success. So it appeals to our competitive inclinations.
    Plus, there is the appreciation for the engineering and design of the tool itself - not unlike appreciating the craftsmanship of a quality home or automobile, etc - and this can even be achieved while cleaning and/or disassembling a gun.

There are a number of reasons for being a gun enthusiast, and "killing" does not have to be one of those reasons.

Lastly, if you do invite someone to shoot for the first time (especially someone with an unfavorable opinion of guns), then I would suggest .22 rifles. Start slow, imho.

Chr15topher

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    New Albany
    It's ingrained in my DNA. I've never killed anything with a firearm as I don't hunt. My reasons...

1. Protection for my wife, son and I
    2. Endorphins from target shooting
    3. It's something that I can pass on to my 3 year old when he's an adult

Tandor

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 4, 2011
    Chesterton
    As many have said:

Skill building
    able to refine a tool (sighting in)
    protection
    engineering behide the design
    cleaning/taking care of your investment
    legacy for your children

KNOWING YOU CAN HIT YOUR TARGET @25, 50 & 100 yards or more!!!!

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Although I deer hunt, I definitely don't like killing things.

I find shooting to be relaxing/cathartic, like meditation. Block out the sound. Focus. Breathe. Press. Repeat. It's also a way to engage in friendly competition.

I'm also into it for the personal protection aspect and the 2nd Amendment aspect.

Danicus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    for me, firearms are a token of the rights that citizens are aloud to wield. and I like to have rights; in a nutshell guns make me feel free.

Enkrypter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 27, 2011
    Somewhere
    and they just plain smell nice...

Hmmmm....Hoppe's number 9...Nice...

Right there with ya brother!

It's not a power trip. It's not for adrenaline junkies. If anything it's therapeutic.
    It's an expensive hobby that captivates me. I'm not a mechanical person. I don't like to work on things with my hands, but put me in front of a firearm and I have a deep desire to know everything about it and know how to take it apart and put it back together. I also enjoy the history. Every gun has a story to tell. Most of those stories are etched into American history and I am not one to forget where we came from.

I too come form a non-gun family.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I'm both technical and artistic minded, so firearms are a nice blend.
    Then there's the athletic aspect, subtle, but it's still there.
    And throw in hunting, and we get biology, woodcraft etc in the mix.

Snow on the ground outside...............the smell of a freshly burnt WW 20 gauge hull after rolling Thumper is like a freakin' time machine back to my youth :)

It's the best smell in the world!

Danicus

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    firearms are like a token of freedom. to own and operate one is a massive responsibility, one that should only be taken up by a person who can show that they are capable of thinking freely, yet responsibly. so for me, guns show something of freedom and adulthood as well as a plethora of other fantastic things

Dj15802

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Avon, IN
    That's easy..I grew up around them. I enjoy the challenge,skill building, not to mention we shoot as a family. Range time is excellent family time.

Top Bottom