Why do you carry while you're at home???

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    PR-WLAF
    I'm so used to the weight, I walk in circles if its missing.

That, and home invasions. I've received a hand full of death threats over the years. Never know when someone might decide they want to try and serve that threat.

Police: 82-year-old retired sheriff killed by former inmate - wave3.com-Louisville News, Weather & Sports

A drive-by shooting by an 81-year-old ex-con. That is indeed a grudge, but I guess the shooter felt he had little to lose at this point. All the more reason to carry.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    Because I come and go doing errands a lot and locking it up and getting it back out is a hassle. It is also one less thing I need taking up brain processing energy to have to think "keys, wallet, cell phone, pen, knife, gun". Like keeping track of my wallet it is just easier just to know I have it on me. It is part of getting dressed in the morning.

bsoberg

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 17, 2012
    warsaw in
    I have a gun in my ez chair me and my wife know it it there (p.s we have no kids it are house and if we have them over we put it up for safe keeping)

marv

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2008
    Gatchel, IN
    Home is 10 mi South of an Indiana Correctional Facility and 10 North of the nearest city. My EDC is always on me and others are loaded and handy out of sight.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Sometimes when I transition from my outdoor clothes to my indoor clothes, I am still wearing my jeans or khaki pants with my gun holstered as I settled back in. When I am wearing my indoor clothes, I always have a gun in arm's reach and when I sleep, my guns are all around me.

I have strong doors, good windows, but those things can break more easily than my guns.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    I usually like to stay up late and tinker in my garage and during the summer I like to open the garage door to get some air in. My alley is not that busy and not well lit so I really don't see a reason not to carry in that situation.

Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    I keep a loaded gun in the house because I once saw a skunk in the backyard and if he ever decides to invade my space, he's done for.

led4thehed2

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Oct 16, 2011
    Indianapolis
    To be ready. I have a very small studio apartment, and if anyone were to ever break in they already be within "self-defense range" (7 yards, if you care to believe in that sort of thing) and I would have no time to fetch a gun from another room, much less a safe. Were a home invasion to occur, I would need to be able to respond immediately. Therefore, the gun stays on my belt even when I'm just sitting there at home. I don't have the luxury of putting it down and still being able to respond to a threat.

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    It's the safest place to keep a readily usable firearm. With kids in the house I can't leave firearms lying around. Keeping one locked up just doesn't make sense because it would be to hard to get to if needed.

So on the belt it stays. Ready to use and safe from little ones.

shannonneumann

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2012
    NE Indiana
    Just as others have said, I carry at home because that is where the home invasions occur.

Having said that, I don't carry on my person 100% of the time. I do, however, always have clear in my mind where the weapons are and how to get to them in a hurry. I also am very particular about keeping the doors locked (my family gives me a hard time about this, but it's a simple thing to slow down a potential intruder). I know the layout of my house, I know where someone is likely to come in from and I know if I hear any door being kicked in, I have time to get up the stairs (to grab the shotgun) before someone can make it around to my living room. At that point, they don't know for sure where I am, and they have to come thru a narrow area to get to me. This all sounds well and good, but there are two main problems.

The first problem is that home invasions by their very nature come as a surprise. If I hear a door being kicked in, chances are very good that I won't immediately realize that is what is happening. That delay eliminates any advantage I may have had. Secondly, there likely not be enough time get the wife and kids to a position where I am between them and an intruder if I had to take time to get access to a weapon. In the end, this is why I end up carrying most of the time.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    I carry when my pants are on. Well, for the most part.

I've been asked the same question as the OP, and have had the same answer as most of you: 100% of all Home Invasions happen at home.

Someone told me that "you are supposed to feel safe at home!". Asked asked them WHY?!? I'll tell you why.... Because we MAKE our homes safe. There is nothing magical about it.

Top Bottom