Why do "smart" people point guns at themselves?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    bw, I see you can't answer the revolver check either. I gave no excuses, but there are very few absolutes in real life and that includes the 4 rules, as I have pointed out. :)

It's obvious that you are a critical thinker too::)

atf-at-the-range.jpg

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    How do you visually check the timing of a revolver without breaking rule 1? steve, bw kirk how do you do it? I really want an answer to this one, really more IF you can answer this one. I look forward to your answers!

Rule 1: All guns are always loaded.

If you must load the gun to check the timing of a revolver, I would obey Rule 2 so your finger does not fall off at a card game.:D

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    "Rule 1: All guns are always loaded."

All I can do is shake my head. A gun is nothing more than another tool. I suppose with this mentality, all engines are always started, all electricity is always live, all water is always running, all stoves/heaters are always hot, all hydraulic hoses are always pressurized.
    :ugh:
    Stay behind the desk and let the professionals handle the firearms.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    I've cleared a lot of rounds out of guns people said weren't loaded.
    That's precisely the point I'm trying to make here. I have never denied the need for the rules, and the fact that failing to observe them is dangerous in most situations, but there are clearly exceptions that can be made in certain circumstances. Every single round in that jar was caught by you after somebody else's mistake was made. Which illustrates my point very clearly that with enough layers of risk mitigation a gun can be made to be truly empty and can be handled as such.

It's obvious that you are a critical thinker too::)

atf-at-the-range.jpg

Wow... I guess the people that warned me about arguing with you Burl (is that how you spell your name? I've never seen it written, just heard people talk about you) were right... you really are NEVER wrong, no matter how wrong you actually are... and once you get to the point that you run out of any trace of a valid argument you resort to insults that aren't even relevant... haha... this is comical... you got any more? I'm sitting here taking a break from the real world to step into your fantasy world for some amusement so I could use a little more if you've got it...

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Rule 1: All guns are always loaded.

If you must load the gun to check the timing of a revolver, I would obey Rule 2 so your finger does not fall off at a card game.
    biggrin.png
    Why would you load the gun to check? You don't have to load the gun. But according to the rules even a gun that has been cleared and properly checked is still loaded and should be treated as such (as in NEVER point it at anything). How do you get around that rule? You aren't answering the question as asked. Is that because your entire argument falls apart at the seams if you answer the question? There is no good answer for you, answer one way and it proves that the approach of "All guns are loaded" is a fallacy that cannot always be upheld, answer that you can make exceptions for certain reasons and your argument fails because you and Burl have been touting that there are no exceptions...

"Rule 1: All guns are always loaded."

All I can do is shake my head. A gun is nothing more than another tool. I suppose with this mentality, all engines are always started, all electricity is always live, all water is always running, all stoves/heaters are always hot, all hydraulic hoses are always pressurized.
    pat.gif

Stay behind the desk and let the professionals handle the firearms.

Haha, rep inbound... it's so truly sad that some people think they are somehow superior by taking this mentality...

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Well l kirk, you gave me no real answer either and that disappoints me. With all your credentials I had hoped for so much more from you. Don't feel bad, I don't have a lot of faith in people to begin with. Some have used the term "critical thinking" without knowing what it means. All is good, my points are proven unless someone can give a sound response.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Well l kirk, you gave me no real answer either and that disappoints me. With all your credentials I had hoped for so much more from you. Don't feel bad, I don't have a lot of faith in people to begin with. Some have used the term "critical thinking" without knowing what it means. All is good, my points are proven unless someone can give a sound response.
    That is a logical fallacy.

snowwalker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 13, 2009
    In the sticks
    Great Steve, tell me where I erred. Which one can you prove is wrong with something that is sound reasoning? You notice that it was directed to Kirk, not you right? Wait, oh that's right, you could not answer my last question to you. Face palm.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Great Steve, tell me where I erred. Which one can you prove is wrong with something that is sound reasoning? You notice that it was directed to Kirk, not you right? Wait, oh that's right, you could not answer my last question to you. Face palm.

I don't know why you are being so hostile, or why you have this hubris about you. You made a statement, which I pointed out is a logical fallacy, not sound reasoning. As to your original point, I have already answered it. We all know all guns are not always loaded, so why would we teach that rule?

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    That jar , is it displayed at the shop you work at?
    Yes, it is.

Kinda surprised it wasn't more like a 5 gallon bucket! The jar just photographed better right?;)
    I didn't start collecting them right away. And some of it has been pilfered when the guys need to test-fire a repair and don't want to open a new box.

Oh, and a collector bought the 8 rounds of 45ACP that had remained loaded in a 1920s-ish Colt...like, since that era.

cmr13

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 16, 2013
    Elkhart County
    Im guessing there is a strong correlation between those who handle firearms in that manner, and those who put a slide back plate with the punisher logo on their Glock...

Seeing the Punisher logo on the backplate doesn't give me a whole lot of confidence.

I'm not going to get into the rest of this debate, but why do you think that because someone made a cosmetic change to their gun it means they don't know what they are doing or that they are not as smart as anyone else? A lot of people will buy something for a gun that doesn't improve the function of it but just makes it look better to them. That isn't an indicator of their intelligence.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    No, its the choice of the punisher logo that kinda speaks for the owners mindset... Dont get me wrong, Im not a big fan of all that crap, but at least they have a flag, or a glock emblem, or something tasteful. This guy went with punisher, which is extremely juvenile, and makes me not surprised at all to see him point a gun at himself.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Im sorry, but thats not the same as putting the punisher logo on a glock. I'd like to be in a courtroom after someone used their punisher glock to defend themselves. I bet the judge would think its cute.

Top Bottom