Why do people think Republicans just want to make their buddies rich?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Hmm, I don't know...but this was in the incessant email blast emanating from Dan Coats' office (bold underline is mine):

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Opposing Medicare Advantage Cuts
    "When seniors search for health insurance, they have the option to enroll in
    traditional, government-run
    Medicare or an alternative, private option called Medicare Advantage. Sixteen
    million seniors have chosen Medicare Advantage plans, and most say they like
    their coverage. Medicare Advantage plans offer seniors additional benefits –
    such as dental, vision, hearing and wellness – or require smaller co-payments or
    deductibles than Medicare.

This week I joined a bipartisan
    group of 53 senators to send a letter to Marilyn Tavenner, Administrator of the
    Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, urging the agency to avoid making
    cuts to Medicare Advantage plans.
    In our letter, we wrote that “regulatory
    policy changes that affect the program's funding, year after year, are creating
    disruption and confusion among beneficiaries who are looking for consistency and
    predictability and can damage a program that offers value for beneficiaries. We
    ask that you carefully consider how beneficiaries would be impacted by further
    cuts to the MA program.”
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So, break out the crayons for me...if Medicare Advantage is government-funded...what's "private" about it?​

Last edited:

zippy23

Master
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Noblesville
    It's another lie that broke liberals like to hear so they hate Republicans. It's not true, just like war on women, racism, etc. People think it because democrats sat it constantly and its easy to hate others because they have more money. Is a great political saying. It plays on the greed of liberals.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Because they are, but are scared to say it. They honestly need to stop beating around the Bush and latch on to that tag. Now, when I say "rich," I also mean "self-made." What American doesn't want to be rich? The Republicans should have a platform that encourages achievement and competition.... things that have been lost in our current "everybody's a winner" society. They should reject the notion that they allow other to get rich "on other people backs," and say that those that work hard should have their rewards protected. That would go a long way with me, as it's honest, true, and needed.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    The truth is that liberals are anti-capitalist so will use any propaganda to push that agenda. Currently the Obama administration is putting a lot of people out of work with it's anti-capitalist AGW agenda.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Because they are, but are scared to say it. They honestly need to stop beating around the Bush and latch on to that tag. Now, when I say "rich," I also mean "self-made." What American doesn't want to be rich? The Republicans should have a platform that encourages achievement and competition.... things that have been lost in our current "everybody's a winner" society. They should reject the notion that they allow other to get rich "on other people backs," and say that those that work hard should have their rewards protected. That would go a long way with me, as it's honest, true, and needed.

They have that platform. Getting rich off of other people's backs means having employees. Getting rich or being self made means starting your own company. There is an old saying, "You don't get rich unless you sell it or own it." I won't be rich because I am happy enough being an employee and because I am skilled and self driven, I am compensated accordingly.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    They have that platform. Getting rich off of other people's backs means having employees. Getting rich or being self made means starting your own company. There is an old saying, "You don't get rich unless you sell it or own it." I won't be rich because I am happy enough being an employee and because I am skilled and self driven, I am compensated accordingly.

Getting rich on other people's backs" has never meant simply having employees.

Hoosier8

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   1
    Jul 3, 2008
    Indianapolis
    Getting rich on other people's backs" has never meant simply having employees.

The problem with government intrusion in the market is that government makes it worse for those that need the most help. For instance, minimum wage eliminates wage competition. Those that want the work the most but with the least skills are the ones that suffer the most when wages are artificially high. You have to work in the real world.

Now I will agree that the disparity in pay for a CEO is obscene but that is more a function of culture than labor competition. How do you change the culture? Again, government interference was one of the causes for the disparity by making laws that ended up encouraging CEO compensation with stock options, where the real money is in CEO compensation. Unintended consequences of government interference.

Even unions have been affected by government interference. Why do you think business was happy when government stepped in to settle the union issue ages ago?

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    Where I was heading with this, is the increasingly well-reinforced impression the Republican party exists to divert public funds away to "private" programs which make their donors rich. Apparently, all too many of them are perfectly OK with Government being the revenue-collecting agent for "private" business (religious schools, insurance companies, and standardized testing vendors are all appreciative, no doubt). I'm sure this is all more complicated than I'm making it seem, but it sure lends credence to the idea that all this "compassionate conservatism" is just about making sure the Republican Party reaps its share of the benefits of public programs. The Democrats buy the votes of Gubmint Employees, the Repubs. buy the donations of Corporations, but they're both using our money as the bait.

Last edited:

Dosproduction

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Porter County
    The real truth is that they are correct. But what they leave out is that democrats do the same thing. Democrats and Republicans are the same party now. All for making themselves rich and putting the government boot down all of our throats. Bush had the largest increase in government ever till obama topped him. Who ever wins the next election wether republican or democrat will also increase government and help make there freinds rich at the expense of the average joe.

D-Ric902

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2008
    If you repeat propaganda enough, it will become a talking point, then it is more of a reflex than a fact and more "fun" to spout in order to feel superior.

you didn't think politics was based on facts and truth did you?

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    The truth is that liberals are anti-capitalist so will use any propaganda to push that agenda. Currently the Obama administration is putting a lot of people out of work with it's anti-capitalist AGW agenda.

There have been no net gain of jobs since 2000, it had nothing to do with liberals or conservatives.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The real truth is that they are correct. But what they leave out is that democrats do the same thing. Democrats and Republicans are the same party now. All for making themselves rich and putting the government boot down all of our throats. Bush had the largest increase in government ever till obama topped him. Who ever wins the next election wether republican or democrat will also increase government and help make there freinds rich at the expense of the average joe.
    QFT

Anyone remember Solyndra? Beacon Power? A123? Abound Solar? Fisker? And many others? I guarantee you someone was getting rich off the Obama Administration's sweetheart deals to those companies, even and especially as they were crumbling, and if they weren't universally major Democrat Party donors, then I miss my guess. And don't forget, GE, parent company of NBC, hasn't paid a significant amount of taxes in years thanks to architected tax dodges.

All that changes when the party in power changes is who is getting the sweetheart deals. Crony Capitalism at its worst, and it'll eventually give way to outright Kleptocracy where the regime will simply openly pick winners and losers in the market and freely write checks from government coffers to their own supporters by name.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

Just for the record, the capitalist business owners endgame, is to abolish capitalism in their field. The biggest threat to capitalism is the successful capitalist.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    Just for the record, the capitalist business owners endgame, is to abolish capitalism in their field. The biggest threat to capitalism is the successful capitalist.

I agree. I still can't understand why getting the influence of big money out of our government isn't the most important issue for all Americans.

And, for the record, I'm not convinced that the predominant reason that any person runs for State or Federal office is to get themselves, their families, and their buddies rich. Party affiliation makes no difference.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    My unemployed buddy felt pushed into obummer care to avoid tax or legal penalties. He was talking about a $13,000 annual deductable. ???? That means unless he needs an organ replacement he does not have any insurance. In addition the care provider that he found is 70 miles from his house. It sounds like his purchase is pretty much worthless. I will not sign up for obummer care.

I remember growing up without health insurance. I raised my kids, (and some other peoples kids) with no insurance. EVen with medical complications, we got by without government handouts. Settled the bills the old fashioned way, paid them off myself. There was always a way to get care and the medical system was not inclined to create charges just because they could. There was never any of this "I don't think anything is wrong, but well give you a $3800 test just to be sure". I think we would have been better off if NO body had insurance, ever.

Last edited:

MisterChester

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 25, 2013
    The Compound
    I agree. I still can't understand why getting the influence of big money out of our government isn't the most important issue for all Americans.

And, for the record, I'm not convinced that the predominant reason that any person runs for State or Federal office is to get themselves, their families, and their buddies rich. Party affiliation makes no difference.

Because those with the money (right or left) spend their money to make lesser important issues front and center to get Americans' eyes off of this one. We are constantly bombarded with stupid political dung on a daily basis to the point of campaign finance reform being branded as unsexy and unworthy of discussion, in favor of things like what color to paint the border fence with.

Fred78

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Probably because thats what they do when they get elected to office. I am in a quandary I can't vote for a democrat on the gun control thing and the republicans are just as crooked so what to do?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I'm pretty sure there's people in both parties that get themselves or friends/relatives deals/money.
    And if we put enough libertarians or greens in office, the same thing would happen.

JS1911

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 12, 2012
    Why do people think you can sum up any political party's ideology with just one sentence?

Fair point, it certainly takes more than one sentence to sum up the leftist "philosophy." Like so: If you have it, I want it. If you do it, I'll regulate it to hell. If I don't get EXACTLY what I want, when I want it, I'll scream and cry like a 5 year old who has been denied candy. (Paraphrased from a fellow INGOer in the politics threads.)

Top Bottom