Why do people buy match grade rifles and then put crap optics on them?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Really? .05 MOA? What BR competitions have you won with that gun?

If your referring to the 25/06. None I never shot it in a competition. Only at our home range in Mount Joy Pa. The only competition I have ever shot was trap and IPSC. I don't much like actually thinking about My Ruger as I haven't laid my hands on it in 7 years since I hocked it to my Brother in law to finance my divorce along with my Simpson Suhl side by side 12 ga and my model 63 Winchester. I recently got custody of my son and have been alleviated of paying the $850 a month child support, so hopefully one day I'll save up the $4000 I need to get them back. Indecidently this was the situation that got me out of shooting and shooting sports. I was so sore and embarrassed about having to hock these firearms, that it was only recently that I have rekindled my interest. My fathers rule: "Guns are something you buy not sell" And all three of those firearms came in some way from him. Hell he bought the mod. 63 with his paper route money in 1939 I had hunted with it since I was 12. The only redemming factor is that I can re-aquire them at some point, and that has laid heavy on my mind these recent months. I want them back!

P.S. Since I was 15 I have had only this to say about my Ruger. If I can see it. I can kill it.

Last edited:

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Only 4 grand for a rifle that shoots into a quarter inch at more than 500 yds? You'd better buy that one back, and quickly!

I think that was a mistype. 1/4 MOA @ 500 yards which would be 1.25 inches which is still quite amazing but doable with the right gun and ammo.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Did you read what I actually wrote?

"I consider it to be A precision rifle easily capable of .25" groups well past 500 yards"

"Then I had my .25" groups. Now I am far from an authority on the subject of optics."

"Now the question as stated being at a half mile that's 880 yards. I once at Fort Dix Nj watched a staff Sargent bounce coffee cans around at that range with open sights."

"If your referring to the 25/06. None I never shot it in a competition. Only at our home range in Mount Joy Pa. The only competition I have ever shot was trap and IPSC."

"Since I was 15 I have had only this to say about my Ruger. If I can see it. I can kill it."

The range at Mount Joy sportsman association in Mount Joy Pennsylvania the maximum distance is 400 yards. I figure if I could do it at 400 I am sure I could also at 500 or 600.The bullet and rifle are ballistically capable. Never once did I state that I had shot those groups at a half mile. Also it took allot of shooting and experimentation to archive this at 400 yards there was only one load that would do it. 117 grain spitzer boat tail by speer with cci primer and 52.6 grains of IMR 4320. Not a real hot load but not squaemish either. Zipping out around 3100 fps. With this round and that rifle. Every statement I have made is absolutely accurate. Including the last one..If for some reason the statements I made are controversial.. Well think what you want. Your own thoughts are truly that. Your own...

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Only 4 grand for a rifle that shoots into a quarter inch at more than 500 yds? You'd better buy that one back, and quickly!

Yea my sentiments exactly. My dad bought me a marlin 30-30 for Xmas when I was 12. We scoped it and took it to the range.. I couldn't cut paper with it even at 25 yards. I Used a H&R 20 Ga with slugs my first year deer hunting. That was 1977 and I lived in an area where School was closed the first 2 days of deer season. Imagine my embarrassment. It was later that spring runnin around with my father and brother on a Sunday doin our normal Sunday get away from the ladies thing by goin to gun shops and F'in around. Then at Wolfs gun Shop in Lebanon Pa. I saw my Ruger #1 The walnut stock was burled and so sweet that single falling block the way she felt against my shoulder everything was perfect. And my father agreed that the recoil of the 25/06 would be better suited to me at 12 1/2 Than a 30/06. So we traded away my 30/30 we got $120 for it and put my Ruger in Layaway. I made Pizza and french frys for 6 months to pay it off for the following deer season. Now once again lol the Irony of it. But I will have her back of that you can be assured....

Turtle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 8, 2008
    INDY
    Maybe they think by buying a more accurate weapon they will have better aim. And maybe they bought that starter sight to look cool while they miss the target....lol

I dont goto the range to look cool. I go to keep my skill up so if I ever have to defend myself ... I don't miss!

Last edited:

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    Maybe they think by buying a more accurate weapon they will have better aim. And maybe they bought that starter sight to look cool wile the miss the target....lol

I dont goto the range to look cool. I go to keep my skill up so if I ever have to defend myself ... I don't miss!

I bought a rifle at random. Actually the rifle chose me. I'm done talkin bout this...

Last edited:

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    too much concern here about what other folks do...... especially if it doesn't agree with some folks perceptions........

bartonmd

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Mooresville/Camby
    Eh... I've got a $90 Bushnell Banner D&D 4-12x40 AO on a $40 Promag 1-piece mount on my 24" bull barrel AR (though I built it for $750 from a J&T kit)... From what I've read, that is the best bang for the buck scope going. Clarity is not really that much different than my dad's Leopold 4-12x50 with target turrets, though the 50mm objective lets in more light I'm sure, but I haven't shot it before sunup or after sunset, so I don't know how much. It seems to hold a zero just fine on my AR, doesn't fog, and the (spring) airgun guys can't even kill them, so they've got to be pretty stout.

I actually did that scope because not only did I want a scope for it to use it for ground hogs, but I also don't have the $450 for a set of match sights, and with the way things were going, I wanted to get my 24" match rifle, and my 16" carbine, and "some" ammo before the election, under my budget constraints, which I did.

Mike

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    "I consider it to be A precision rifle easily capable of .25" groups well past 500 yards"
    With a Speer hunting bullet no less.

Sorry Sir, but I have to call aboslute BS. The best BR shooters can barely agg .25"(not .25MOA) @ 200yrds, with rifles/cartridges desinged to wring out the utmost in accuracy. To us that actually shoot and compete at 500 +, this looks/sounds like nothing more than gunshop hero talk. You know what they say... If it looks like a___, sounds like a___, it must be a ___.

7mmRM

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Celestine , IN
    To the OP, I have no idea why people build up such rifles, only to handicap them with crud scopes, especially when there are some fairly decent low price scopes out there. Precision rifles are a system and a sub par scope is a weak link in the system.

To the fellow that mentioned something about asthetics in regards to high end scopes, well, obviously you have never USED high end scopes. You may have looked at them in a shop, but you never used them.

Crank the knobs countless times in countless firing positions. Beat the crap out of them in rough field conditions, drag them around in a drag bag in the mud/crud, bang them into things, drop them, freeze them, drown them. All for it to have returned to zero perfectly. The result are clear... pun intended.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    Same reason I buy a double quarter pounder with cheese and get a diet coke ;-)

That's what I'm talking about.

Some people, get the gun first with a "good enough" scope for now with plans to upgrade later.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jojo99
    Top Bottom