Why Do People Buy GUNS/AMMO at Wal-Mart when . . . ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Seriously why do people buy guns or ammo from Wal-Mart?

Wal Mart films the transactions.

Wal Mart files the transactions and reports them to Mayor Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Mayors Against Illegal Guns gun-banning group.

Wal Mart doesn't actually give good service, they just offer some low prices that undercut the local gun shop.

So the local gun shop, the guy who does transfers for you, the guy who gives you service, the guy who offers you a wide selection of guns, the guy who offers accessories, holsters, is a member of your local chamber of commerce, is a pro-gun advocate and is your conduit to the pro-gun culture is hosed because you shaved a few bucks and bought your gun from the company that only seems to care about throughput and burying the competition so that they don't have to compete.

Am I wrong? Did I miss something? Seriously guys (and gals) why would you support Wal-Mart given that your local small gun shop is probably hard pressed to stay in business. Obama and the rush on guns certainly helped some gun shops, but the 'rush' is over and there are a lot of small shops that are scrimping just to stay in business. If you keep shopping at Wal Mart to save a few pennies it is very likely your local small/mom&pop gun shop will be out of business in the next 12 to 24 months.

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Agree on SOME of your points. I just bought 10 boxes of WWB 9mm at my local WalMart last week for less than $85 (and did NOT file the transaction). The local gun store was 10 miles away and closed on Sunday. The same local gun store charges $50 for a transfer while a pawn shop closer to my house is $16.

I'm all about supporting local businesses, but when the local business cannot meet my needs, and another business does, then guess what.....

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've never bought at Walmart. I can usually find it much cheaper elsewhere in quantity.

Where? I'd love to know. Wal-Mart's got the cheapest range ammo I can find. I'd rather buy it from someplace that actually has it in stock, though.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I ask myself, why do people buy online for the same reasons?

As a local printer we have the same thing...

There are mega printers in various parts of the US that provide printing far cheaper than I could ever imagine. And customers choose to buy from them rather than pay more from me.

I don't think Walmart is evil, just as the mega printers aren't. They have streamlined their processes and serve a particular purpose.

As a local shop, I do provide particular services that the mega printers do not...just as the local gun shops do as you described in your OP.

I suppose we could attack the mega hardware box stores and ask why we don't support the little general stores anymore as well.
    So, I'm supposed to feel guilty because I'm looking for a bargain? Give me a break, this is supposed to be free enterprise and let the best businesses survive. If I want to survive in the market, I need to provide those particular services that the mega stores choose not to provide.

cklein6576

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 5, 2009
    South Bend, Worst. Mayor. Ever.
    The people that work my wal marts sportings goods counter are friendly, and generally upbeat when I see them. Unlike most gun shop owners who are usually in a foul mood and kinda crappy when you ask them a question. With the exception of 2 guys @ midwest I would rather go the the dentist then a small gun shop.

slacker

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Indianapols, IN
    excellent... everyone stop buying at walmart = more chance of me finding ammo for cheap :)

Everytime I look at ammo in local gun shops it is WAYYYY over priced ($29.99 for 100 packs of WWB 9mm...)

I will always go for the cheapest vendor that has what I need in stock. If that happens to be walmart then they are doing something right in my book.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    For the same reason America keep sending jobs over to India and China.... to save a buck.

We are transferring wealth from what was once the greatest nation on earth over to China... one dollar at a time.

ramick

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Huntington
    I buy from who ever or where ever the best price is. And I personally dont belive there is a single gun shop struggling to say afolat. I could be wrong and if any shop owners want to show me their sales numbers from 2008 to 2009. And if the have lost business I will recant my statment but I doubt it. Just my :twocents:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    For the same reason America keep sending jobs over to India and China.... to save a buck.

We are transferring wealth from what was once the greatest nation on earth over to China... one dollar at a time.
    All the ammo I've ever bought at Wal-Mart was made in the USA. And I got to save a buck, to boot. Nothing went to China.

Boilers

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 20, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I buy from a variety of places. Local shops, Indy 1500, wal mart, etc.

I personally just wish more places would carry ammo and guns.

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    Don't get me wrong...I'm all for supporting the local shops.
    I found that Bradis had MilSurp ammo for my Mosin as cheap as I could find it online, once you figured in shipping, so I bought a couple of spam cans from them. There are however, online shops that have some for about half of the price, but they were all out.
    Plainfield Shooting Supplies has some of the best prices on various long guns around...they will certainly get my business when I am ready to increase my inventory.
    As far as target ammo...the cheapest price wins hands down every time.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom