Why Do People Buy GUNS/AMMO at Wal-Mart when . . . ?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Status
    Not open for further replies.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    I buy some of my pistol ammo at Wal-Mart.

I am not ashamed of it. It is US made and keeps the guy at WalMart in a job.

Actually it doesn't matter to Wal Mart if that clerk pushes ammo, diapers or batteries. Wal Mart works on the principle of volume at low margins. Their people will have jobs no matter what moves across their shelves. If Wal Mart got out of the gun business tomorrow it would not matter to them. They look at guns/ammo as business only, no passion, no gun rights, no heritage, no traditions to pass down. Its pure dollars.

The local gun shops are often at the front lines of the gun traditions we had passed down to us, and we pass down to our kids.

tharlow514

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2009
    Indianapolis
    At some point this arguement will be obsolete anyway. I'm sure most of you have noticed that many Wal-Mart stores don't sell guns anymore. I bet at some point they will stop selling ammo as well.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    I totaly understand, but also why pay $6-$7 more a box. Have to support your hobby. Though I have not bought any ammo from there in a long time.

6birds

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 15, 2008
    Fishers
    Seriously why do people buy guns or ammo from Wal-Mart?
    Because I can. Please keep reading.

Wal Mart films the transactions.
    I trim my mustache before I go, and always wear a clean shirt.

Wal Mart files the transactions and reports them to Mayor Bloomberg's Anti-Gun Mayors Against Illegal Guns gun-banning group.
    They must use a lot of paper.

Wal Mart doesn't actually give good service...
    I've had excellent service at Walmart in several departments, several stores, in several states. Painting a picture with a pretty wide brush aren't you?

So the local gun shop, the guy who does transfers for you, the guy who gives you service, the guy who offers you a wide selection of guns, the guy who offers accessories, holsters, is a member of your local chamber of commerce, is a pro-gun advocate and is your conduit to the pro-gun culture is hosed because you shaved a few bucks and bought your gun from the company that only seems to care about throughput and burying the competition so that they don't have to compete.
    Ammo is a very small percent of my budget, but ammo is an important part of my gun hobby.
    I buy almost all used guns (ask around) and most are from private party (good deals, better selection). Is it bad for the gun shops to sell Russian ammo, running the guys at Federal and Black Hills out of a job? How dare they!

Am I wrong?
    Possibly
    Did I miss something?
    Maybe, but keep reading...
    Seriously guys (and gals) why would you support Wal-Mart given that your local small gun shop is probably hard pressed to stay in business. Obama and the rush on guns certainly helped some gun shops, but the 'rush' is over and there are a lot of small shops that are scrimping just to stay in business. If you keep shopping at Wal Mart to save a few pennies it is very likely your local small/mom&pop gun shop will be out of business in the next 12 to 24 months.
    The shops that earn my business are the ones that provide a service I'm willing to pay for. I like service, and pay for it, the last 5 years I have bought more high end SxS's than you'd imagine, 4 re-stocked with high end lumber, 2 rifles re-barreled to Wildcats, multiple hunts out of state each year, several single action pistols, and a mess of old pumps, A5's and hunting rifles.

None of these services will ever be in a Walmart, most will never be in a Cabelas either, which is why it is so easy to buy ammo from them, and sleep good that night.

Split

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 1, 2009
    Evansville
    I buy Target ammo at walmart. When you're talking about a $15 difference per 100 rounds, I see it as being a foolish consumer not to.

I buy all my guns, self defense ammo, reloading supplies and hard to find ammo at the gun shop, I even drive 35 minutes out of my way to get there. I don't do transfers there because they charge $35 while a guy 10 minutes from me has a small sewing shop that has a FFL who does transfers for $15.

I'm all about supporting local business, but I need to worry about my bank account just like those shop owners do.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Where I buy depends on the caliber, price difference and availability.

Take the Makarov I lost on a fishing trip recently...Walmart doesn't carry 9x18, so I would buy either online, at a gun show/shop. When the local shop is charging $22 for 50rds, I might have bought one when needed, but I'm more likely to have waited until there was a gun show to pay only $30 for twice as many rounds.

My 22 (sadly I also lost the Marlin when the boat rolled in deep water...) is another story. Can't imagine paying $25 - $30 at a gun show/shop for a brick when Walmart is going to have it (sooner or later) for $15. Short of Walmart posting a sign that says, "We will never ever stock 22LR again" I am not going to buy 22LR at a shop unless it's match ammo or they offer a free Glock with every 10 bricks bought.

Lastly -- and it's a shame I don't have the Mauser any longer, but I had to drop it when hunting out west after a bear started chasing me and never could find it when I went back to look for it -- any milsurp caliber like 8mm or 7.62x54 is not likely to be on Walmart's shelves and buying it online used to kill my Fed Ex guy's back, so I was happy to drive over to the local shop to buy it off the shelf, regardless of the price.

Look at it as you would other purchases in your life:

Tier 1 shopping: Walmart will be the lowest price, least common denominator for high use items like 22LR, dove loads, milk and Bud Light.

Tier 2 shopping: A gun shop/show is good for specialty ammo and/or milsurp. Compare the local gun shop/show to a nice liquor store that has a certain wine you want for your 20th anniversary or a hard to find micro brew for a class reunion.

Tier 3 shopping: Online is reserved for things the local guy looks at you and says "What's that?" when you ask him about it. :D

Just two cents from a cheapskate...

Smitty506th

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 22, 2008
    Every time I go there it takes at least two pages just to get someone there behind the counter or to unlock the case. I do not care who films me buying ammo. I am not afraid because I am doing nothing wrong. What is wrong is the gun store charging nasty mark ups on ammo that I can get cheaper. I will continue to purchase ammo at wal-mart until such a time as gun stores get their heads out from you know where and charge a decent price. Not all of them are this way but if the price is right then I will buy. I do not agree with most of what Wal-Mart does but competition in business is a constant and a function of capitalism. Someone will always have something cheaper than others. Price matching would be nice..... Just an Idea. That way the "mom and pop" stores could drag in more business. If you want to make this an initiative then we should start reloading clubs where we can all share equipment and component costs and buy those from the mom and pop stores. If we all did that then we could shun Wal-Mart. I already have a group I reload with. I do feel for the "mom and pop" stores but I saw so many price gouging (no so many months ago) so I am showing my love with lack of support. We are a shooting community. Forming reloading groups to become more self sufficient is not just a need it is a necessity. If "mom and pop" stores lowered their ammo prices they would sell more and bring more people in, those people would buy more guns (duh cuz they could afford to shoot them {at better prices}) looks like a simple idea to me, so I think the question should be Why do the Mom and Pop" stores charge so much??

I do think Wal-Mart is going the way of standard oil though..... Might take another 50 years but it looks like it's going that way.

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    If you think you're only on WalMart film when you buy guns or ammo, you're nuts. You're on film as soon as you walk in the door. Folks can patronize any ammo/gun source they please, but don't beat the conspiracy drum, just to be sounding off. Our local WalMart has posted flyers at their sporting goods counter for local shooting events, referred folks to local shooters if they have questions, and donated ammo to shooting functions.

This year alone, I've bought 4 handguns, and two rifles from the local 2nd generation gun shop, ALL my reloading supplies come from him, and we get along fine. HE'S AN EXCEPTION. Him, along with 21st Century are two of several shops that charge reasonable prices for ammo/guns. Many of the others try to make a week's profit off each customer. I won't dance to that tune.

Some folks just flat can't afford to shop any place other than WalMart. I, fortunately can, and do shop other outlets for guns and ammo. I'll continue to support the local shops as well as take care of my wallet when I can.

Hell, quite a large percentage of gun owners didn't even vote last Nov. What on this good green planet makes anyone think they're gonna boycott WalMart because you're also on film at the sporting goods counter?

I buy tin foil for all my hats at WalMart, too....... :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jun 29, 2009
    the kitchen
    Where I buy depends on the caliber, price difference and availability.

Take the Makarov I lost on a fishing trip recently...

My 22 (sadly I also lost the Marlin when the boat rolled in deep water...)

Lastly -- and it's a shame I don't have the Mauser any longer, but I had to drop it when hunting out west after a bear started chasing me and never could find it when I went back to look for it

WOW! I need to go fishing, boating and hunting behind miguel. I could find some nice hardware!:D:):

Bisley Man

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Whitestown
    I've bought ammo this year only at KS&E,Rendevous, and Rural King. reloading stuff from Midway,1500. A little to support the gun shop business, mostly I don't like to wait 15 mins to get a WM employee to get my ammo.Any where you go you are filmed as soon as you hit the parking lot.What WM still sells guns?

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Some dealers have a real problem getting ammo too.

Something tells me that in this current climate, that gunshop owners could buy pallets of ammo and not have it sitting around to terribly long either...

Granted, nobody can compete with walmart bulk orders and their prices, but shop owners ain't ordering a couple boxes at a time.

One thing I am absolutely finished with is buying ammo from the dealers at the shows. They are the ones cleaning out walmart shelves and marking it up 50%.

I do try to pay cash when I make my ammo purchasees. I'm probably 50/50 with cash vs card.

I am a FFL dealer and have accounts with five major dist. and have a real problem getting ammo too. I have had a case of .380 on order for two months. I am sure the larger shops get priority over a small guy as some shops seem to have ammo in stock. Same with guns, everyone is out of almost every popular gun and you have to get on the waiting list.

I can buy ammo at Wal-Mart at a lower price than I can get it in bulk when you add in the shipping costs. I shop local businesses as much as possible.

Michiana

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 3, 2008
    Granger
    Share your sources please

I've never bought at Walmart. I can usually find it much cheaper elsewhere in quantity.

I buy most of my ammo at Wal-Mark because of price and avalibility. If you have better sources please share with us; apples to apples I have not found any yet. :dunno:

Status
    Not open for further replies.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Evanlee11
    Top Bottom