• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    I think you'd be happier with the wood stock and a plastic forearm , get some weight off
    your support arm. Can you group with this thing?

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    i agree. but on your ak, i think it is the stock and length of pull that you dont like..

Ya, I might try adding a little weight to the rear somehow, if its drilling out the wood stock and filling it with something heavier or what ever. Id like it to be more balanced.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I think you'd be happier with the wood stock and a plastic forearm , get some weight off
    your support arm. Can you group with this thing?

Never have, and I dont even know when Ill be home next to shoot it. Id like to get it on paper sometime though. The only time I ever shot it I was just blasting away with it. To be honest, some rounds were even shot stock folded, with one hand. I like to make it fun. :D

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    I had a WASR underfolder once and I hated it too. Its sloppy, uncomfortable, and poorly made. Then I bought a fixed stock AK74 and I saw the light.

jd4320t

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 20, 2009
    South Putnam County
    I do have an AR receiver extension w/ MOE stock and SAW pistol grip on my Saiga 12. I guess I could move them over and see how it feels. I just really like the looks of more classic AK's, and would kinda like to keep it somewhat traditional, and it seems like I have some form of AR stock on majority of my guns already. Is a US Palm grip all theyre talked up to be? Has anyone used the triangle type folding stock?

Yep. It completly changed the feel of my AK.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    I had a WASR underfolder once and I hated it too. Its sloppy, uncomfortable, and poorly made. Then I bought a fixed stock AK74 and I saw the light.

Thats part of my reasoning. I can grab the bolt handle and jiggle the bolt inside the receiver, and its not a smooth pull to the rear that makes a lot of grinding and snagging noises. Maybe its just an AK thing and its supposed to do that, I dont know. :dunno:

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Thats part of my reasoning. I can grab the bolt handle and jiggle the bolt inside the receiver, and its not a smooth pull to the rear that makes a lot of grinding and snagging noises. Maybe its just an AK thing and its supposed to do that, I dont know. :dunno:

It's a cheap AK thing. I had a Romanian one that was so bad, the bolt would lock to the rear when pulled back.

KoopaKGB

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 99%
    101   1   0
    Dec 21, 2008
    South Bend
    Lack of a bolt hold open for the last round fired is why I hate the AK, I dont actually hate it, just miss the bolt hold open on an AR-15 style weapons.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    Not an AK fan either

Most AK actually hurt me to shoot on the cheekbone. Just 7.62 AKs. I can shoot anything else. But for some reason the stock design of the 7.62 AK is physically painful for me to shoot.

I will take an SKS over a 7.62 AK any and every day of the week.

Ljungman

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Lake Superior
    YOU SPEAK HERESY! You cant hate...not like shooting an ak..thats just nuts :)
    But..if you need to like it more. Try the stocks mentioned in the above replies. I have my Arsenal and its one of my favorites. The "quality" of the ak makes the difference. if the trigger is crappy try the tapco G2 triggers. Takes alot of the play out of it and reduces the felt creep and "gritty" trigger. Also try finding a lower hand guard that has a rail and use a Foregrip with it...my VZ58 was a punisher with its short stock..and with the fore grip (did a little drill and tap on the lower handguard myself) its much more enjoyable to shoot. If you dont like the sights, there are many manufacturers who make an extended top rail with several mounting features that allow the use of the front sight while changing the rear sight and moving it further back. One of these rails i love id from Parabellum armaments in (I believe) Cincinnatti area? Good price and its sits on your rear sight base and ends on the rear of the top cover. Very interesting set up, and rock solid for aimpoints and other gear. Give the furniture a try and if that fails, then the AK (gulp) may not be for you...although its great for millions of others in its original form...(sarcasm). Try other ak's too. Maybe your just suffering from Cheap AK'itis...i personally didnt like the wasr types..they felt odd to me.

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Ya, mine does that. It was so recurring that I actually thought it was supposed to do that.

They will smooth out over time, or you can round off some edges to and slick them up. The bottom of the bolt carrier and the face of the hammer look like two jagged trapezoids. Those jagged trapezoids slam into each other with enough force to push the hammerzoid down so the bolt carrierzoid can slide over top. A rough Ak will have issues in this arena. Grab a dremel, smooth and polish some surfaces :)

saiga 12 bolt used for comparison:
    S12-both-bot.jpg

Note the jagged, trapezoid shaped carrier, verses the smooth slope of the carrier above. The Top carrier is a dream to rack, the bottom hangs up in a couple of spots making it difficult and uncomfortable to manipulate. You choices are to shoot the **** out of it until it smooths itself over, or polish it. One good thing you can say about an AK is they get better every time you pull the trigger.

ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    They will smooth out over time, or you can round off some edges to and slick them up. The bottom of the bolt carrier and the face of the hammer look like two jagged trapezoids. Those jagged trapezoids slam into each other with enough force to push the hammerzoid down so the bolt carrierzoid can slide over top. A rough Ak will have issues in this arena. Grab a dremel, smooth and polish some surfaces :)

saiga 12 bolt used for comparison:
    S12-both-bot.jpg

Note the jagged, trapezoid shaped carrier, verses the smooth slope of the carrier above. The Top carrier is a dream to rack, the bottom hangs up in a couple of spots making it difficult and uncomfortable to manipulate. You choices are to shoot the **** out of it until it smooths itself over, or polish it. One good thing you can say about an AK is they get better every time you pull the trigger.

Good to know, thanks.

Is that Saiga 12 bolt one of Pauly's Glass Bolts? Those things sure are purdy. :)

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    sho nuff. I dig the "jeweling". Regardless, polishing can make a world of difference in the charging and operation of your AK. You could also send your gun to rifle dynamics for the same service. i think they charge like $500 to knock all the edges down on the entire gun.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 13, 2009
    Southern, IN
    $500? You could buy another gun for that!!! Just use a file and buffer wheel and then polish and it will make a world of difference. Check out utube, there are vids on it.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    It's a cheap AK thing. I had a Romanian one that was so bad, the bolt would lock to the rear when pulled back.

some of that is the Tapco G2 hammer. They are a bit taller than a standard hammer, and can cause the bolt to 'catch' on top of them. They usually wear in with use, or you can reprofile the top of them a bit.

Top Bottom