• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2009
    Hognuts' Liberal ****hole
    I believe giving free coffee to police officers isn't so much a kind gesture as it is a way to entice officers into stopping in there for a drink instead of somewhere else. Police presence is a visual deterrent for someone thinking about robbing the store. If I ran a store that offered beverages like that I'd do the same thing for people that I know legally carry firearms so that next time they want a drink they'll come to my shop instead of the one on the other side of the street because I offered them a free drink for their presence.

Giving food at a discount price is up to the restaurant. Just like some chain restaurants aren't corporate ran, they're a franchise, some of the rules are up to the management.

Huh? Don't cops OC, therefore making themselves a desirable priority target that will draw criminals into the store?

stephen87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    May 26, 2010
    The Seven Seas
    Up the presence and thank them for keeping the community safe. If I go into Firehouse Subs wearing a uniform, I get free drinks as well. It's a gesture to say thanks.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    Do LEO's serve all equally or do some get more service than others due to what they give for it?

Businesses that treat me good will always get more business from me. Samething would go with a LEO.

Seriously, why wouldn't a LEO give a business more special attention if they were treated well and got free stuff or discounts.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    As a citizen, what can I do to ensure you patrol my neighborhood more? Should I have a cookout once a week and invite LEO over?

I don't own a business to give you free stuff, but I want to make sure my area is safe too. :popcorn:

Tyler-The-Piker

Boondock Saint
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    Jun 24, 2013
    ><(((((*>
    when I was young(er) I worked at a gas station. occasionally I would work 3rd shift for someone. we were always instructed to give free drinks and krispy kremes to uniformed officers. There was one officer that would stand and talk with me for 30-45 min while he was on a "lunch break" and I'd let him eat any of the hot foods that we served. I liked his company and the crime deterrant.
    One night he and I were talking and a kid came in and asked for a "book of Zig-Zag oranges". I kind of snickered at the officer (who shall remain nameless). As I was starting to ring the kid up I asked for his ID. He said he didn't have it and I said..."Uh well I can't sell these to you.". He walked out visibly irritated and the officer and I just laughed it off. Less than a minute later a woman came strolling in very angry. She said "I want that book of Zig-Zags and I want them NOW!". I don't know if she could see the officer but he was practically standing behind the counter next to me. I said "Ma'am...our policy is to not sell tobacco products to someone who does not have an ID and we cannot sell them to someone who is obviously buying them for the person without ID." She started to FREAK out and berate me and call me every name in the book. The officer couldn't take it anymore and he spoke up, loudly, and started to ask her what she needed the Zig-Zags for. She said "because I roll my own mother******!". I was stunned. He said "ok that's it". He walked her back out to her car and she was acting like a (guilty) idiot the whole time. I wish I knew exactly what went on when he took her outside to her car...but within 15minutes...her and the kid were leaving in the back of squad cars (in cuffs of course). LOL. He told me a few days later that their car REAKED of pot and they had a huge bag of weed in the cup holder in the center console...in plain sight.
    Wow are some people stupid or what?!?!

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Shift manager... also made the stuff and ran the lines and was known for jumping on a register from time to time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    If a business wants to give discounts to public servants I don't care. Same with elderly people, or veterans, Colts fans, good lookin' women, or homeless people. It's their business.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    If a business wants to give discounts to public servants I don't care. Same with elderly people, or veterans, Colts fans, good lookin' women, or homeless people. It's their business.

If I had a business I'd give a discount to people with a screen name of esrice, but only if they pronounced it 's-rice.'

JMoses

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 16, 2013
    Keep in mind I live in a real small town.

I think they start off at like $40K/yr round here, which is good money for this little river town. Reading the records in the paper daily, it's mostly speeders and domestic disputes. Not a ton of 'real crime' down here. Not trying to start a flame war or devalue your jobs, especially those in cities who deal with real crime. So let me get that out there right now :)

You don't think that Madison has any real crime? Oh, and most officers in Indiana don't make real good money, I don't know where you're getting your info on that.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    I still got free tires for a certain LEO!:):

Put up or shut up! :):

As a citizen, what can I do to ensure you patrol my neighborhood more? Should I have a cookout once a week and invite LEO over?

I don't own a business to give you free stuff, but I want to make sure my area is safe too. :popcorn:

You could start by cutting the internet tough guy attitude.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    What would happen if the owners of the proposed new indoor range in Carmel gave free gifts to all those who vote on their permit approval?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    You want to know which public service job gets no love or respect? The trashman! Just throw your crap out to the curb and God forbid He misses a piece of trash in the bottom of your trash can with 72 1/2 pounds of unbagged kitty litter stuck to the bottom... Just sayin!

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    I have personally seen officers who are in the middle of their meal have to get up and leave on a call with out finishing the their meal. I would hope that the establishment would let them come back and reorder for free they are able to do so.

Also I see it as no different than all the discounts I get for working for the company that I do. I get discounts from many different businesses for a variety of things.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    Wow, relax guys. Was an honest question, I seriously had no idea this was a 'thing' all over. I'm not upset, and I don't disagree with it (really). I was just having a fun jab while wanting to learn if this was an 'all over' thing or just localized thing. I also didn't realize police officers were thought to be underpaid. I thought they did pretty alright, all things considered.

A business is certainly free to offer discounts to whoever for whatever, I agree. Just didn't realize this was a 'thing' all over the place.

I've been proven wrong, I apologize. Next time I see a police officer in a restaurant I'll offer to pay a portion of his tab to show my appreciation for the underpaid work they do.

Top Bottom