• ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Why you gotta bring me into this?

Because your adorable?

C'mon guys, lets keep it clean. We've got a reasonable discussion going on here, and I for one have enjoyed the level of thought put forth in some of the responses. There's no reason to get this thread locked and there's certainly no reason for the attacks on other people just because they disagree with you.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Because your adorable?

C'mon guys, lets keep it clean. We've got a reasonable discussion going on here, and I for one have enjoyed the level of thought put forth in some of the responses. There's no reason to get this thread locked and there's certainly no reason for the attacks on other people just because they disagree with you.
    there have been some very well thought out replies, and I for one enjoy watching smart people go at it! kinda like the UFC of intellects!:boxing:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Have you not met some of the people they let be cops?
    Yeah, a lot. (I'm assuming your joking anyways) Even a couple in my family. But lack of intelligence has never been a trait I would assign to the ones I've known or met briefly even. It's a mentally tough profession along with the other challenges. That's why I do believe the starting wages after a year should be at least $50k. If you have any job where you need to know that much ****, you need rewarded for your time. Every cop or ems or firefighter I've ever known puts in countless unpaid hours for training or studying (training), or helping out people, Ect. They deserve good paychecks even though many truly don't do it for money. That's why I don't think free cokes or even a meal would touch their integrity (most). BUT I also do think public perception is as important regarding what looks like a 'favor' to any official. Think of all the cash and drugs they probably handle daily that isn't stolen by them. Hell a lot of them are very giving and give more than they're ever gonna accept in their career.
    I think sometimes people are just jealous they don't get the perks themselves. I wouldn't want all of the other stuff that comes with the perks. Glad others choose to do it!

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Nothing is ever free.

Everyone who goes through the training to earn the commission, knows when the gratuity by a grateful business owner is within the bounds of the ethics training undergone by every well trained Officer.

I have a Police Commission hanging on my wall. Even though it is no longer active, the words on it are sobering and solumn. Unless you have one, I don't think you can understand. That is OK too.

Sometimes the gratuity is turned down. I have seen it. I have turned it down myself. I have always been grateful for the gratuity when offered and accepted. When appropriate and within the bounds of the code of ethics Police Officers live within.

The gratuity is never taken for granted. It is appreciated if offered and accepted. But I have money in my pocket too. I can look at myself in the mirror without regret.

Last edited:

vitamink

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    Most places that give free / discounted food are in areas that robberies are the highest or undesirables tend to frequent. Many places can't incur the cost of hiring a security guard so they offer free food to attract as many cops as possible. Some businesses even set a room aside for police to do reports (sub station). There used to be a place called campus apartments up near 11th and MLK. It was a section 8 **** hole that bordered IU and all the nearby restaurants. The starbucks there offered free coffee to any cop that would come in. The starbucks was the only business that didn't get robbed while surrounding business got nailed several times. The owner also like the fact that it kept the homeless people who lived under a bridge nearby from asking the studying students for money. A cop never gets free food, assuming he doesn't get called out while he's eating, someone will always approach and say the exact same thing every time…(if you're a cop feel free to say it with me)
    "I don't mean to bother you while you're eating but…(insert whatever BS drama you want)"

There isn't a cop alive that has made it through a work week without a citizen approaching them and saying the above verbatim. Trust me, it's always a "working lunch".

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    For INGO, this thread has remained surprisingly coherent. Thread goes to Hornady. In before things that have been discussed fairly civilly turn sour. (IBTTHBDFCTS.)

Is preferential treatment for police officers in the form of discounted/free small items a huge, rampant problem? I don't think so.
    Could it become one? Possibly. Is it one? I don't think so.

Anyhow, IBTTHBDFCTS.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I work in industrial maintenance. We have various suppliers who supply our replacement parts for our equipment. We used to have one supplier that most everyone thought was the best since sliced bread. He'd supply at least 1 big meal to the maintenance crew each year and he'd bring in donuts and stuff on occasion.

He was a nice enough guy but as a supplier, I thought he was terrible. His parts were usually cheap Chinese junk. If you needed an oddball part that we didn't have in stock, they'd regularly bring this guy in and have him look at it so he could go out and find the part. You could ask him a week later if he's got the part yet and he'd feed you a line when it's quite obvious he dropped the ball.

To this day, if you ask people about him, they wish he was still one of our suppliers. Their personal view of him clouded the reality of the quality of his service. Us maintenance guys didn't have much control of who we chose as vendors but we chose which vendor to contact when we needed something.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    I work in industrial maintenance. We have various suppliers who supply our replacement parts for our equipment. We used to have one supplier that most everyone thought was the best since sliced bread. He'd supply at least 1 big meal to the maintenance crew each year and he'd bring in donuts and stuff on occasion.

He was a nice enough guy but as a supplier, I thought he was terrible. His parts were usually cheap Chinese junk. If you needed an oddball part that we didn't have in stock, they'd regularly bring this guy in and have him look at it so he could go out and find the part. You could ask him a week later if he's got the part yet and he'd feed you a line when it's quite obvious he dropped the ball.

To this day, if you ask people about him, they wish he was still one of our suppliers. Their personal view of him clouded the reality of the quality of his service. Us maintenance guys didn't have much control of who we chose as vendors but we chose which vendor to contact when we needed something.

I used to work Industrial Maintenance as well. We had a supplier that would cater a christmas dinner for the whole plant of 200 people times six plants. The food was amazing "Boogie's BBQ" Boogie was an employee of the tool supplier company so I'm sure it was discounted to the tool supplier. Clarence the owner made his rounds on a weekly route and took the order. It would be delivered the following day. We had been experiencing a lot of issues with our stapple guns and the complaints finally made its way to Duo-Fast Corp. We bought the stapples from them and they supplied the gun. Our annual revenue with them was in the millions. Well it was the day that Clarence was there taking an order and the head of purchasing walks in with the Duo-Fast Corp guy. I tell Clarence that I will be right back. I talk with my Corp guy and Duo-Fast Corp guy for five to ten minutes. When I get back to Clarence he has major attitude for making him wait so I tell him thats all I need and he leaves.

After he leaves the Duo-Fast guys said that Clarence walked over to him and told him that he was rude. The Head of Puchasing heard it as well. He said "Cut him off then" Next week rolled around and when he came I told hime I didn't need anything. Within two hours of his leaving the purchasing Mgr called and told me to start using him again. Clarence had called the owner and complained which in turn rolled down hill.

Clarence never received the same amount of orders from me as he did before his bully tactics.

You can't buy friendship or loyality. I have been in sales now for 16 years and I now wear the supplier hat. I have standards that I have to live by as a supplier. Some of my Distibutors will start off by letting the buyer know that they can get tickets to different events and I don't like that at all. Thats why we are called slimey sales guys.

My take on the free cup of Jo is this. If I was a business owner and any Civil Servant came into my place the coffee would be free, after all the cup probably cost more than the coffee. The gift is just what it is a gift. It is a gift to give you while you are there not so you will come back. We are not guaranteed of a tomorrow so live as though today was your last.

I have bought meals for Military personel on airplanes restaurants as well as LEO, and people in the car behind me in a drive-thru. If I'm setting in a restaurant and and I feel prompted to pay for another tables meal I do so. I do all of this in private and the only person that knows what I'm doing is the person I'm paying. What you do in private will be rewarded openly.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    I talked with the manager today. Yes we offer free coffee and fountain drinks so the police will come in. We also keep our bathrooms clean, are friendly and enjoy having them there. The reason is 2 fold. 1 because of the added security, 2 so they have somewhere to come.sit and take a break. We don't expect them to come in, and they don't everyday. When they need a clean bathroom, friendly service and a cup of coffee though, we are more than happy to take care of them.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    There is nothing I'm aware of that says you can't hire a judge "off duty". He could look over papers and do other lawyer-ish stuff for you should you find one willing to be hired.
    Nope.....
    Judges cannot perform any of the functions of a Lawyer after taking the Oath Of Office.
    I've lost two excellent Lawyers over the years because they went and got themselves elected to The Bench. :(

Boost Lee

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jul 24, 2011
    Greenwood, IN
    Nothing wrong with a Corrections Officer getting a similar discount to that of a Police Officer.

As beaten to the dead horse, really, if you represent ANY figure of authority (especially any form of law enforcement that's a remote theft deterrent), you'll generally get the treatment.

Corrections Officers, Police Officers, Armed Security Officers, Public Safety Officers... If you're in uniform and you fight the good fight to keep the community safe, it's well deserved.

Period.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    Nope.....
    Judges cannot perform any of the functions of a Lawyer after taking the Oath Of Office.
    I've lost two excellent Lawyers over the years because they went and got themselves elected to The Bench. :(

The Commissioners in Marion County are all practicing defense attorneys and fill-in on the bench when needed. They aren't elected to the position though.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    The Commissioners in Marion County are all practicing defense attorneys and fill-in on the bench when needed. They aren't elected to the position though.
    If they're members of The Indiana Bar Association they must adhere to the provisions of The Indiana Code of Judicial Conduct.
    This is the pertinent portion of the code.
    RULE 3.10: Practice of Law
    A judge shall not practice law. A judge may act pro se and may, without compensation, give legal advice to and draft or review documents for a member of the judge's family, but is prohibited from serving as the family member's lawyer before a tribunal. This Rule does not prohibit the practice of law pursuant to military service.

:dunno:

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    IANAL, but that looks like it says they can act as a lawyer but not during a trial. What would be the problem with them doing paperwork as a lawyer?
    The bold text is the limiting factor.
    A judge may act pro se and may, without compensation, give legal advice to and draft or review documents for a member of the judge's family, but is prohibited from serving as the family member's lawyer before a tribunal. This Rule does not prohibit the practice of law pursuant to military service.
    This limits the Judge to performing the functions of a Lawyer only for members of his/her family, but even then he/she may not represent the family member in court.

Top Bottom