Not open for further replies.

AJBB87

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 6, 2009
    Here
    [STRIKE]
    Not exactly what I said, but fair enough. It is my perception and I am looking for answers. I tried to be honest up front. If no one wants to reply, so be it.

My assumption is that most fall into it because they can't do anything else
    [/STRIKE]

Edited: No use in :horse:

I could waste my time trying to tell you why I, having a Mechanical Engineering degree from Purdue, have decided to dedicate myself to being a LEO. However, given your stance on law enforcement I think I will pass suffice it to say, it's not because "I can't do anything else".

Also, I find it amusing that your handfull of goofy experiences listed above have led you to make such a sweeping generalization. Is ignorance really bliss?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    My assumption is that most fall into it because they can't do anything else. They were not good in school, or they wanted to be authority figures for whatever reason.

I must be mistaken here, Isn't continuing education required to be a police officer? I was under the impression that you couldn't just be an officer right out of high school. What are the requirements to be accepted to the police academy? Can a drop-out get in without his ged or HS diploma?

I assumed that most cops were college kids. (they act like it at least)

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    What are the requirements to be accepted to the police academy? Can a drop-out get in without his ged or HS diploma?

I assumed that most cops were college kids. (they act like it at least)

Depends on the department. Some departments have competition, some don't. Either cop can jam you up.

Last edited:

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Not a cop...but i can give you my really close friends story.

He grew up on the west side of indy and attended Ben Davis HS. His grades were mediocre at best. He later had a plan of action and attended IU part time for a year then full time for 5years...He spend his last 4 years on the Dean's list and graduated with 4 majors. His goal was to graduate college, join the army and fly Blackhawk helicopters. When he went to MEPS they told him because he was such an extreme teenager and broke his spine at 16, he couldn't join even though he signed a waiver and various other forms. He then tried the coastguard to fly their dolphin helicopters but was told the same thing. He had no problem getting a job with NOAA in Key Largo Fl where he would travel to various highschools and teach marine science scientific sampling methods (secci disks, nisken bottles etc). He would then take the kids out snorkeling. Though he liked his job it was repetitive like groundhog day. He enjoyed talking to and teaching the kids as well as being outside. Eventually Nasa wandered through the Noaa doors looking for a diver with welding experience, and the ability to work alone. He was hired immediately and began work on their GPS/GIS relay tower. After it was constructed he had to core drill the ocean floor, cement in some threaded stainless rebar, then bolt the tower to the ocean floor. Apparently GPS satellites calibrate off of it.

The boat he was working on shared the same dock as the florida marine patrol and he developed a rapport with the officer that would come and go. The officer asked him why he never tried to be a cop as he was fit, liked working outside, was good with people, and frequently engaged in dangerous activities. My friend would then make fun of the officer and point out that he made far more money than him and didn't have to dress like a dork and do nothing but write tickets all day. After a few weeks of these conversations, the officer offered him a ride-a-long and stated, "let me show you what the world is really like".

Those words stuck with my friend as they went out to Miami Dade. He saw shootings, prostitutes, drunken domestic batteries, naked people whacked out on drugs bloodly and running down the street and the list went on an on. By the time it was over he was exhausted and he hadn't even done anything. He was impressed that the man was able to be a quiet professional while he stood in the middle of absolute chaos by himself and outnumbered while the rest of the world slept.

Seeing the world for what it is got him motivated to help. He applied immediately for IPD and, being the pompous ass that he is, assumed that he would be hired immediately with all his schooling, experience and the fact that he left a job making twice as much to be a public servant... and he failed. He felt like crap as this is the first job EVER that he's applied for that he didn't get. So he tried again and got it however ran into the same situation with his back. He had to sign a waiver as well as a separate form stating that if anything happened to his back regardless of what it was it was his fault and not the departments.

While in the academy he met 30 other individuals that were all at the very least on par with his intellect and life experience. He learned that almost everyone in his class was prior military and all but a couple were college grads as well and of them many had higher levels of schooling.

Shhhhhh. You had me at "hookers" :)

No fair man! It's so much more fun to believe that all the cops are washed up failures and societies rejects on a power trip! It's no fun to know it takes massive intelligence to memorize and comprehend all that officers must in order to even be considered as a candidate. There's no room for the truth in this thread don't ya know. (Obvious purple, but just incase, for the slow learning COPS who might read this thread ;) )

But seriously when it comes to 99% of the cops I have known (even some I didn't really care for. Because not everyone meshes in the world) I have always been very aware I the high level of intelligence they posses. I don't know what experiences the OP has had in his life, to him I'm sure they seem legit and real, but that hasn't been mine. And I am one that is very guarded and not trusting just because someone has a title or a badge. It takes repetitive encounters and dealing for me to build a trusting relationship with all people.
    I was very uncomfortable with the way the original post came across and I'm not a cop because that wasn't my calling in life. But I think it would be a cool job minus all the uncool stuff they must deal with. I'm thankful for those who felt called to do it. I've had my eyes opened to what they deal with.

Last edited:

tatertot

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 18, 2012
    In short, I chose to become a police officer because without the warrior class (military and leo) the society we live in crumbles into anarchy in less than one generation. I wanted to be part of a positive change in our society.

Im not sure why you get off on trolling the leo's on here.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Hey, why not play...

I graduated from Enterprise HS (Alabama) in the to 10%, went on tge the University of Florida where I double majored (and graduated) in poly sci/English. Moved to Indiana after graduation because my parents moved here (Dads job), took the LSAT, with the intention of going to Law School. In the meantime, I was employed as a probation officer in Marion Co.. I learned that the LAST thing I wanted to do was be a lawyer and that I followed the "prestige" I thought the occupation carried, rather than my own happiness. So I disappointed my family, and declined my offer (apologies Dean Espalda). And given how Probation worked, I tired quickly of offenders re-offending, when I tried my damnedest to see them off to the pokey....

...the solution? Be the GUY that locks them up.

Prior to becoming an LEO, I had a bunch of ideas about what the job was like....99% of them were flat wrong.

There may have been a time, when LEOs got into the job because "they couldn't do anything else," but I assure you, we are far removed from that time. Today, your STANDARD LEO could easily transition into counseling, public speaking, conflict resolution, insurance adjustment, a variety of medical fields, hospitality, risk management, obviously security, accident reconstruction, victim advocacy, public works, or even loud mouth "know it all" on the internet.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Now, since one hand washes the other, why did Griffin NOT become a LEO?

Anybody? I mean 25 push-ups, 1.5 mile in 16 minutes ain't exactly difficult.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    In short, I chose to become a police officer because without the warrior class (military and leo) the society we live in crumbles into anarchy in less than one generation. I wanted to be part of a positive change in our society.
    Why didn't you become Army? Or Marines? Just asking.
    Im not sure why you get off on trolling the leo's on here.
    Why do you think I troll LEOs? I ask a serious question and you accuse me of trolling?

If LEOs choose not to answer, so be it. The only people being antagonistic in this thread is you and people like you. I am serious.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    Now, since one hand washes the other, why did Griffin NOT become a LEO?

If I were Ken Shamrock I would not be a LEO. Just a personal preference. But I sincerely appreciate the responses here so far.

I don't know that this matters, but here are some fairly recent pics of me.

pianodan.jpg

new.jpg

Just in case someone might think this matters. :)

Last edited:

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Why do you think I troll LEOs? I ask a serious question and you accuse me of trolling?

If LEOs choose not to answer, so be it. The only people being antagonistic in this thread is you and people like you. I am serious.

Do you seriously not see the arrogance and condescension in how you asked the question?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    If I were Ken Shamrock I would not be a LEO. Just a personal preference. But I sincerely appreciate the responses here so far.

"Just a personal preference" doesn't quite cut it G. What is it about your personality that made you exclude LE from your preferences? You're a lil bit older, so you would have most likely started LE in the late 70s right? So you don't have to address LE now, but rather when you would have been of an age to serve.

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Kutnupe is a Gator...explains a few things :popcorn:

And if you're not a Gator, you're gator bait!
    Gainesville is the prettiest college town in America. Just don't go hanging around Lake Alice after dark, DNR never removes the mature gators until someone is attacked, or their dog eaten... And I'm serious.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    "Just a personal preference" doesn't quite cut it G. What is it about your personality that made you exclude LE from your preferences? You're a lil bit older, so you would have most likely started LE in the late 70s right? So you don't have to address LE now, but rather when you would have been of an age to serve.

I don't want to derail this thread, but I only think it fair that I answer you. I am 56 years old right now. See pics above. Why would I choose law enforcement? I have no reason to. That's what I am asking you, why you did? I don't understand it.

I could similarly ask you why you didn't take years of calculus and become an engineer? If you had read my initial post you probably would have had your answer.

I don't want this to be a pissing contest. We can have plenty of that elsewhere. I sincerely want to know why people choose to become LEOs. In fact, I would love to know why people choose local LEO v. FBI v. CIA v. NSA v. DHS, but I fear that is beyond the scope of this thread. But if someone wants to tell me why they chose to be local LEO instead of DHS I would listen.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom