Why are so many people scared of "cocked and locked"?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ctbreitwieser

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 14, 2011
    DuCo.
    It seems like every time someone sees me carrying my 1911 they always say "woah did you know that thing is cocked" and then they go on to tell me how unsafe it is that I'm just asking to shoot myself and how they're so much more responsible than to carry with a cocked and locked 1911. I don't open carry but sometimes my shirt will come up where it can be seen. I especially love it when the person that says it to me is has a glock or xd, because it gives me a good chance to make them feel like an idiot when I ask them if they don't think they're gun is "cocked". I've even had people tell me that if I'm carrying with one in the chamber that I should at least have the hammer down so it can't go off :n00b:. I just don't get where people get this fear from, lots of misinformation out there.

99zhuggerz99

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 25, 2008
    McCordsville
    I have always carried mine "cocked, locked, ready to rock" since day one....it has never "gone off".

its funny how people do not trust mechanical features...easy response "well then dont lock your door when you leave your house, it might open inadvertently."

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    Is it really scared, or is it a lack of understanding? When you've never had a pistol with a manual safety, sometimes you don't even know how they're supposed to work.

Tomc1947

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    YODER
    Is it really scared, or is it a lack of understanding? When you've never had a pistol with a manual safety, sometimes you don't even know how they're supposed to work.

+1. Until I recently picked up a Canik/Tristar c100, I was really not familiar with the operation of this type of pistol. I like the DA/SA trigger. It has a half cock position that allows DA first shot, but keeps the hammer off the firing pin.

Gunslinger45

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 2, 2013
    I would venture to guess it's lack of education more than anything...cause you know, the gun wasn't DESIGNED to be carried that way :n00b::rolleyes: Personally the only thing I have been "scared" of with a "cocked and locked" gun is me being able to disengage the safety quickly without fumbling. Of course, that's a training issue/personal problem, not the gun's fault.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    John Browning designed the 1911 to be carried with a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked and the manual safety UNlocked. He felt the grip safety was adequate. Old John Moses was a slick dude but I still like that manual safety locked.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    It's simply a lack of knowledge. Same with the person that says "that Glock doesn't have an safety". Education is the key.

[FONT=&quot]NRA Life Member [/FONT][FONT=&quot]GSSF member[/FONT][FONT=&quot]
    [/FONT]Gunsite graduate[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Certified Glock armorer[FONT=&quot][/FONT]
    [FONT=&quot] [/FONT]NRA Certified pistol instructor[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]1911 Mechanic[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Because if it goes off when you don't want it to, the consequences can be lethal. Regardless of all the mechanisms out there designed to keep it from going off unintentionally, they seem to go off a lot anyway unintentionally. A person should feel comfortable carrying it, and fully understand what it takes to not set it off unintentionally. You tell a lady that a Glock has an internal safety and she drops in in her purse, eventually a lipstick is going to find the trigger and punch a hole in her bag. She needs to understand the Glock safety is only drop prevention, if something gets against the trigger it will fire. This makes a holster the real safety, but people need to be made fully aware of this.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    No one is scared of a Glock though.

....pfft. Perhaps you missed the "round in the chamber" thread.

OP, the answer is simple, get a striker (DAO) with a manual safety, or a DA/SA model. You have a good healthy fear and respect for the gun, and you can mitigate those concerns with the right weapon and holster combination. Don't let Glock ads or other INGO users make you feel inferior. IMHO concealed carry with a Glock, or similar striker fired pistol without a safety, is not wise, especially with an IWB holster.

Oh, and this thread:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...n/310503-glocks-dont-have-safeties-right.html

Last edited:

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    My 1911 and any other pistol I carry is always cocked and locked. I do get ask why every now and then. I always respone with "it's designed and meant to be carried that way".

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    John Browning designed the 1911 to be carried with a round in the chamber, the hammer cocked and the manual safety UNlocked. He felt the grip safety was adequate. Old John Moses was a slick dude but I still like that manual safety locked.
    Not really. The original design had no thumb safety and in the patent the half-cock is referred to by JMB as a safety position. So there was no lockable safety; Annie's Stuff: The Great "Half Cocked" Debate

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I've had two military guys literally yell at me, to inform me (and all those around) that my 1911 was cocked in my holster, when I was behind the counter working in a shop.

There should be a button that folks behind the counter can push, it lights up a big sign for all to see that flashes "Clueless" and also opens a hidden door where a small statured meanie comes running out and kicks the living sheite out of their shins.

Faiden

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Like others have said, most fear surrounding guns comes from a lack of understanding. Really, if you didn't understand the platform, it could look very unsafe. Not saying it's right, but I understand why someone could be nervous.

Personally, I would never carry a weapon that wasn't ready to fire when I needed it. That extra two seconds to rack the slide could end up putting you at an even greater disadvantage in a moment where you need every edge you can find.

meegz

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2013
    Delaware County
    Personally, I would never carry a weapon that wasn't ready to fire when I needed it. That extra two seconds to rack the slide could end up putting you at an even greater disadvantage in a moment where you need every edge you can find.

If you practice, the delay in retrieving the gun and working the slide vs just retrieving, the difference is not anywhere close to 2 seconds. This is all dependent on practicing though, obviously

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you practice, the delay in retrieving the gun and working the slide vs just retrieving, the difference is not anywhere close to 2 seconds. This is all dependent on practicing though, obviously

You're right. It could be faster than 2 seconds. It could also be longer, especially if you're injured or fighting someone. What it will never be is faster than carrying a firearm properly.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    If you're carrying it with an empty pipe, what are you going to do if the BG has your other arm occupied or it's some other way incapacitated? Rack the slide with your teeth? 1911* = cocked and locked, safety off. Point and click interface. I don't even use half-cock, as the P12s don't have it. Being consistent.

*Yes, JetGirl, I have a couple of real ones now

Top Bottom