• ...and so much more!
  • churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I should add that a lot of 1911 problems can be traced to magazines. Not "bad" magazines, just magazines that don't run well in a particular gun. They might in another. I've found Springfield Armory factory magazines seem to run all of my 1911's the best. It least they seem to give the fewest problems overall. Wilson Combat runs my Colts the best.

I think with most 1911's, once you get the magazine situation sorted out, (and on some guns that can take some doing), you're pretty much good to go. That is assuming you're feeding it the ammo it likes.

This is a true statement. Mags and proper ammo. Gun was designed around a 230 ball round and that i what they like. A little love and they will run hollow points. Speers with the "HUGE" mouth will give most any 1911 problems. A bit of work and they will eat them to.
    I have found that Wilson 48-D and Chip McCormack Power mags (10) rd. run in all of my 1911's
    I do not even take the factory mags out of the case when I put a new gun in the safe. Ammo cans full of loaded mags at the ready.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    This is a true statement. Mags and proper ammo. Gun was designed around a 230 ball round and that i what they like. A little love and they will run hollow points. Speers with the "HUGE" mouth will give most any 1911 problems. A bit of work and they will eat them to.
    I have found that Wilson 48-D and Chip McCormack Power mags (10) rd. run in all of my 1911's
    I do not even take the factory mags out of the case when I put a new gun in the safe. Ammo cans full of loaded mags at the ready.
    what hollow points do you suggest then for like a factory Springfield gi or a sti spartan?

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I have had good luck with Hornady XTP, Remington Golden Saber, and Federal HST.

Avoid Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense

For the GI guns I would probably just run the Golden Sabers or those generic Rem HTPs they are trying to pass off as something special. Those have a very rounded profile and longer OAL similar to ball ammo

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    I have had good luck with Hornady XTP, Remington Golden Saber, and Federal HST.

Avoid Speer Gold Dot and Hornady Critical Defense

For the GI guns I would probably just run the Golden Sabers or those generic Rem HTPs they are trying to pass off as something special. Those have a very rounded profile and longer OAL similar to ball ammo
    critical defense? i thought it would be a good choice since its kinda tapered my hi power eats it just fine hum maybe i got lucky then, i do like the hst called grand pal he uses the old hydra shock 230gr since his colt seems to like it i have to try a couple different ammos when i get my sti spartan.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    The newer Hi Powers should have zero problems with hollow points. Mine shot everything fine. I am not a Critical Defense fan. It seems to have been developed for short barrel guns. I have actually seen the rubber tip hang up trying to bounce up the feed ramp of a 1911. 1911s sort of bounce the bullet up into the chamber. Might be why some people insist on using only ball ammo.

roadrunner681

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    henry county
    The newer Hi Powers should have zero problems with hollow points. Mine shot everything fine. I am not a Critical Defense fan. It seems to have been developed for short barrel guns. I have actually seen the rubber tip hang up trying to bounce up the feed ramp of a 1911. 1911s sort of bounce the bullet up into the chamber. Might be why some people insist on using only ball ammo.
    mines a old feg clone but i didn't think the rubber tip would be the cause.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    mines a old feg clone but i didn't think the rubber tip would be the cause.

The lightweight (185 gr) critical defense cartridges are pretty short. I think that might be the problem more the anything. I ran a box of 25 through a 9mm 1911 and they all fed fine. The problem I witnessed was with a 45 1911. RIA if memory serves.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    Trainers saying thousands of students have had problems with 1911's means what?

Is it operator or equipment?
    If the latter..............what component, assembly or stack of of issues?
    Once those have been identified.............what caused 'em?

A moron that wins the lottery buys a Ferrari and calls it a piece of crap because it gets a flat tire.....................

Trainers are there to make money, that means having students go through the class. My guess is that they don't have time to try and teach some dolt statistical analysis, mechanical and manufacturing engineering............so would rather do a general condemnation of a model that might prove less reliable in less skilled brains/hands.

IMHO it's easier to blame the gun and still get the money...............er, I mean, a person to take your class (avoids insulting their ego).

deltaecho

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 12, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Motorcycles and guns... both should be black and metal. Just purchased a 1911 for EDC yesterday. Glocks and others have great ability without a doubt, but there's just something truly badass about a 1911 that the polymers can't duplicate.

I learned how to shoot and draw on 1911s. Now you understand my need for a metal frame on my carry gun. I don't mind the extra weight. I want HEFT, damn it!

Top Bottom