• ...and so much more!
  • Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Few things on the Interwebz are as fun as yanking the chain of the Glock fanboiz. I don't own a Glock, never have. I have shot several Glocks. My admiration for them comes from their reliability, although I wouldn't go so far as to say they are the "most" reliable handgun available. They have their lemons also. Glocks are moderately priced, moderately accurate and have moderately good triggers. I will say that I have shot a few M&Ps also and if I had to choose between them I would go with Glock without question, but that's just me. The real point in this thread and many like it is to reinforce that there is no one gun that will feel good to everyone. That's why experienced shooters always recommend, to people buying for the first time, that they should shoot as many different guns as possible prior to buying. You might end up being a fanboi. Then again, you might not. If, in a SHTF scenario, I had to pick up a Glock and use it I would feel confident that I could do what needed to be done. I personally wouldn't own an XD. The bore axis is way too high. Anyway, shoot every gun you can get your hands on, whether you are in the market or not. Everyone has their own opinion. Mine is worth exactly what it costs. Oh, and when you get tired of fooling with the plastic fantastics, buy a CZ and find out what a good trigger actually feels like. :D

NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    Don't recommend the following, and it should not be the definitive test for a handgun, however....
    Glock 21 Torture Test - Theprepared.com

Some anecdotal evidence from Sgt. Bryan DeYoung, Instructor, Armorer, and Commander of the largest multi-jurisdictional SWAT team in the United States:
    • Another Sergeant retired, who carried his Glock every day and never--ever--cleaned it in the 12 years he had it. Still worked. Cleaned it, for the first time and good as new except for holster wear.
    • Patrolman who shot extra hot reloads, beating the gun mercilously with over 40,000 rounds on the original Recoil Spring Assembly. On disassembly, one of the slide rail tabs on the frame had broken off due to years of abuse from overly hot ammo. No idea when that happened, but the gun was still performing without a hitch.
    • Partolman put his Glock in diswasher at home to clean it. Never oiled it. On disassembly, the Recoil Spring Assembly was solid rust, but the gun still functioned normally.
    Stories such as the above are legion. There is no more robust or reliable gun than a Glock. Some, such as the Smith & Wesson M&P are similar, but none exceeds the Glock.

Leave the actions alone!
    Don't "trick out" a Glock and turn it into a jam-0-matic!

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Glocks are great reliable firearms that are light and have a nice mag capacity. I personally like the xd tactical more but it's cuz it fits me better and I like having the grip and trigger safety. Makes me feel a lot more secure while conceal carrying. But the finish on the Austrian made glocks is probably superior.

tds727272

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    Northern IN
    Love my glocks. They will shoot any kind of ammo that I have put through them. Just like the saying goes for riding harleys - If I have to explain you wouldn't understand.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    Love my glocks. They will shoot any kind of ammo that I have put through them. Just like the saying goes for riding harleys - If I have to explain you wouldn't understand.

I realize that Harleys image has been rehabilitated away from the hard core biker stereotype, but even if I were a Glock fan I'm not sure that's the analogy I would use...:)

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Brand whores are brand whores.... Motorcycles, guns, computers, or cars, they're always the same. Simple question to ask yourself on anything is does it do what you want like you want? Forget brand.

I used to be anti-glock just because of the way people talked about them. People would see a gun and say, is that a Glock? Fun word to say I guess.

No one can say why you should, so I'll just share why I got mine.

1) I shoot left handed. Lefty holster availability for Glock is amazing.
    2) striker fire. Love it or hate it, but it makes for a clean exterior (no snags)
    3) lots of accessories available. Easy to make it my own.
    4) easy and comfortable to carry. Smooth surfaces and light weight.
    5) reliable. Why carry a gun that has behavior problems.
    6) price. Other options of the same feature set were higher priced.

Make your own decision.... I did.

Big Ram

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Durable, light weight, high mag capacity, accurate, quality. An if you run out of ammo it doubles as a brick you can throw

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    I just (within the last few hours) ordered a G35 Gen 4.

For me, the reasoning is fairly simple:
    -- low part count. This appeals to the engineer in me.
    -- Polymer absorbs recoil, doesn't get as cold in a bare hand, and never rusts.
    -- Lower cost that almost any other Tactical/Practical .40 around.
    -- HUGE aftermarket. Glocks are practically the small block chevy of the handgun world when it comes to aftermarket support.
    -- Easily converted to other calibers.
    -- Striker firing means steady trigger pull (which, for the G35 is a ~3# target trigger)-- no Da/SA transition that I HATE.
    -- No external safeties to mess with. The gun is ready as fast as I am.

I think a long(ish) slide Glock actually looks pretty cool.

Aside from being an antiquated design shooting an antiquated cartridge, I've got nothing against the 1911.

modelflyer2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 8, 2009
    Eastern Indiana
    Stupid simple and solidly built. kind of clunky, but they go bang every single time. That's why I love my Glock 26. I love the beauty and elegance of a blued S&W revolver with wooden grips, but I love the Glocks too.

nicktw25

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2013
    Hendricks County
    In my opinion, I think its one of the easiest handguns to break down. It's also SUPER reliable and never had any problems with mine. I've shot over 5,000 rounds through it, and not ONE single problem yet!

Glockowner

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2013
    Princeton
    I am curious to hear why people like Glocks. I know that there are a lot of fans out there. I kind of feel like I need to give one a chance, but the few that I have picked up never really felt right for me.

I am curious to hear what all of the pluses are for them?

I love mine because I NEVER have to worry about failing to fire or jamming up. Enough said.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've always been a 1911/CZ 75 guy and for a long time had a prejudice against the Glocks. I thought they were too easy to get a ND. I thought the internals were more complex than a 1911. I thought the grip angle did not work for me.

I was wrong on all counts. I bought a Glock 20 because I'm into 10mm and wanted to add another 10mm pistol to the collection. I found that the angle was not a problem for me and that I can shoot them quite well. I found that the fear of an ND with a gun without a safety was overblown in my mind. I found that they are much easier to completely break down than my 1911s and far easier than my CZs. Breakdown for cleaning is about the same for all three though.

They are not the greatest gun in the world, but they are relatively cheap, very reliable, they shoot well and carry well when carried in a good holster and belt (then again, even a Hi-Point carries well in the right gear). I don't worry about the Glocks as much as I do the 1911s. If the Glock gets scratched, it does not matter. If it's raining when I'm shooting, I don't care of the gun gets soaked. I don't even need to wipe it down when I get home.

With my 1911s and CZs, they get a lot more care. I love 1911s and get a lot of satisfaction from cleaning and oiling them after a range trip. I love how they shoot. I love the feel of the steel and wood. My CZs are the most comfortable gun I've ever held. They are a joy to shoot as well. I cannot say I feel the same about the Glock, yet sitting here at the computer right now, it's a Glock 20sf that's on my side.

To me, the Glock represents the pure tool. I feel about the Glock the same way I feel about a good hammer or a good air drill. They work for me, but I cannot say I love using them, but I do trust them with my life.

Last edited:

wally05

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    A lot of the reasons already said here.

Mine is... they issue it to me so I don't have to pay for it. :)

Personally, though, I shoot other pistols better and others feel better in my hand. But, our gen 4 23s always go bang when we need them to. They are dirt cheap, especially with an LEO discount. :D And, I must admit that the triggers are pretty decent for a fighting pistol with a predictable pull.

It's not hard to see why a lot of people love them. I like the full size pistols better, though. I may try to get a 22 to replace/supplement my 23. I just find the smaller .40s hard to shoot.

TrentS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Speedway
    I had several handguns from different manufactures in front of me and the GLOCK 22 just felt the best in my hand. They're a reputable company and wouldn't be if they didn't make a quality product.

Top Bottom