• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • toomuchfun57

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 17, 2012
    I have Glocks, Barettas, Kahrs, S&Ws , Springfields, Taurus, and ARs and SKS and the simplicity and reliability of a Glock is awesome

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    I compare them to driving a honda civic, not cool, boringly reliable, no soul.

Ouch man, ouch.

I drive a 2012 Civic and own a Glock. Actually, that description is a pretty accurate summation of me as a person.

IT ALL MAKES SENSE NOW.

4661679.jpg

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    They're cheap, simple, work, and don't require much in the way or skills or money to modify.

They're easy to recommend to people as well.

At the end of the day, they're still boring guns.
    There's the Steyr M series, FN FNP series, most of the H&K handguns... Plenty of others that give you quite a bit more gun, and aren't nearly as boring. Of course I don't even feel as though the XD or M&P series can compete with glocks, so take my opinion with a grain of salt. I also have some major gripes with the Gen4 glocks and after doing some work on them recently would never recommend them over a gen3.

I've got a 20c, 23rtf2, and 37od. My glock 37 was actually my first glock, and is still one of the most accurate/softest shooting of the lineup for me. After recently getting a 94' H&K USP 9mm, I realized I'd been missing out on quite a lot. Especially dimension wise, pretty much the same height as a compact glock, but gives you a longer barrel and sight radius. Makes it excellent for CCW.

Seems most companies screw up the grip length on guns these days to edge in a few extra rounds at the cost of making a gun nearly impossible to carry. Either that, or I must be the only person with 5 fingers, while everyone else needs room for a few extra fingers on the grip.

cagilber

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    For me it was because of their reputation, but also because it "just feels right" in my hands. There's something about the Glock 17 that just fits my hand perfectly. It points naturally and feels right when shooting.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    If you shoot one, you will find that they have a great trigger pull.

:laugh::rofl::D

Each to their own, I guess, but trigger and grip angle are what keep me from liking Glock a lot more.

Maybe it depends on what you are used to. Compared to a Hi-point, yeah, great trigger. Compared to even a mid-range 1911, S&W revolver, or Sig...its not great.

There are plenty of reasons to buy a Glock, as already pointed out.

1) Simplicity. Just remember to clear the chamber before you pull the trigger to break it down. I've got to talk to several folks who forgot that step and shot themselves.

2) Corrosion resistance. You'd have to really work at neglecting one enough to see corrosion creep in.

3) Accurate enough. You aren't going to see them at bull's eye competitions, but plenty combat accurate

4) Reasonable factory sight set up

5) Availability. Anyone who sells guns probably carries a Glock, and as such there's plenty of holsters and magazines (usually) for them out there.

6) Price. Glocks are pretty reasonably priced for what you get

7) Magazine compatability. Easy to buy a full sized pistol and a more compact version that will share the same larger magazines.

8) You got issued one. That's how I got mine. :D

I don't like the Glock, though, I just feel I have to work harder to be as good with the Glock as I am with other guns. The grip angle isn't as natural to me and the trigger is mediocre on the new generation, bad on the older ones.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    Most people I know that own a glock give me this single reason when i ask why they picked it, because it's a glock. It seems like people get them simply because everyone else has them. They just feel awkward to me.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    Honestly all the good things have already been mentioned. I carry my glock when i'm slumming it. I prefer to carry my 1911, but typically choose not to because the Glock is lighter and smaller. Also, for every person that raves on the Glock trigger there are 5 who hate it. Go to just about any lgs and you'll find a Glock certified Smith, and what do they do mostly? Trigger jobs, polishing. Why? Because the Glock trigger feels like a there is a dry sponge between the travel start and trigger break. Also many like a shorter reset. My advice would be to shoot one, also shoot an xdm and a m&p. Get a good feeling for all three major polymers and then make your decision. It's worth noting all three have very different triggers and grips, those two things can make all the difference to the shooter.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Glocks were the first pistols on which I received professional handgun training, although I had experience with revolvers and pistols prior to receiving that training. Since I'm left-handed and ambidextrous safety levers are comparatively recent innovations on pistols, I was never comfortable using an external safety, even during the period when I carried a Beretta M9 as a duty weapon. I have found the Glock in most flavors to be a reliable, easy to use, and easy to care for weapon for duty use or everyday carry. It's comforting to have a reliable self-defense weapon available which doesn't require a lot of babying or maintenance to BE reliable.

Tnichols00

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    Columbia City
    I have shot a couple different glocks a full size 9mm and a compact .40. Was not nearly as impressed with either as much as I expected. I find my Ruger SR9C is more comfortable and shoots just as well.

I shot the compact .40 first and chalked it up to it being a .40 (not a fan of the .40) and the grip being tiny on it. But then when I shot the full size 9 I got a similar feel. Its not that I didnt like it and I would buy one if someone offered it to me for the right price I would buy one but not going to go out and get one.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Along with all the other pro comments,
    PHP:
    1-very mechanically reliable, easy to fix, cheap parts
    2- finish is very robust, rust proof, very corrosion resistant, weather proof
    3-low overall weight vs round capcity
    4-polymer***,,have you ever grabbed an all steel gun after being out in the cold for hours? 
    5-consistant trigger shot to shot
    6-very simple manual of arms, easy to get into action (first shot)
    7-accurate enough for social work

I like all different kinds of guns, but I keep coming back to glock because nothing I have found does all of the above any better.
    , I like the fact that I don't have to baby it and worry about scratches devaluing it. Carry guns do get beat up.

Pinchaser

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 26, 2012
    IMO:

Pros: Relatively inexpensive, most reliable production handgun made today. Easy availability of mags and parts.

Cons: Worst trigger of any major manufacturer, the gun is ugly.

Summary: For me, I can see how people like them but I don't want one. If I didn't have money, and had to buy a cheaper gun, Glock would definitely be the one.

palerider0485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2009
    just north of muncie.
    u can pay more money for a handgun, and the gun maybe a little bit more accurate which u may not even notice, but u cant get a more dependable gun,... i speak from experience buying high end 1911's and then clearing jams, if u want a simple gun that will be there when you need it, and proform. buy a glock.

David

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2011
    I wouldn't dispute the quality or dependability of a Glock, but to me holding one is like wearing a pair of shoes that don't fit. I don't know whos hand the Glock frame was modeled after but it doesn't look anything like mine. My wife has a 19 which she likes, and to me is at best tollerable. I have a 17 and a 21 and don't like either one of them. If times get bad they will be the first to go.

1911 triggers have spoiled me, double action striker fired mush is double action striker fired mush, I don't care who makes it.

10-32

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2011
    B-Burg
    Oh man there are several reasons, in no particular order:
    1-very mechanically reliable, easy to fix, cheap parts
    2- finish is very robust, rust proof, very corrosion resistant, weather proof
    3-low overall weight vs round capcity
    4-polymer***,,have you ever grabbed an all steel gun after being out in the cold for hours?
    5-consistant trigger shot to shot
    6-very simple manual of arms, easy to get into action (first shot)
    7-accurate enough for social work

I like all different kinds of guns, but I keep coming back to glock because nothing I have found does all of the above any better.

Glocks are NOT rust proof. They are probably the closest thing to it though. Search youtube and look at some of the tests where people have buried them for years. I have seen ones come out of the ground with some rust on them but they have always fired.

kyron4

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Most people I know that own a glock give me this single reason when i ask why they picked it, because it's a glock. It seems like people get them simply because everyone else has them. They just feel awkward to me.

This.

Even people who know nothing about guns or gun brands know the word "Glock". They are in all the movies and tv shows. And Mark is right, alot of people get a Glock simply because it is a Glock.
    They are great, reliable, accurate pistols and people love 'em, but they are just not my cup of tea. Doesn't feel good in my hands and while I can shoot one well I just don't care for them. I prefer the classic look and feel of my CZ 75 B; all steel, manual saftey, cocked and locked with a double action option. Fits my hand like a glove and is scary accurate. Heavy, yes; but this makes for fast follow up shots.
    I think pistols are more about personal preferance than anything, just spliting hairs on the differences. Just do a goggle search, plenty of jamming Glocks as with all other brands, all rare but it can and does happen with them all. Some Glock .40's have even been known to blow up. So for every Beretta 92f that jams or stove pipes there's a Glock or Sig that has too. Just my opinions.

Top Bottom