• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I was at the local Gander Mountain this evening looking for something in the fishing department and a worker told me they were starting to get shipments containing their spring fishing items. I saw him come out of the back with two new Shimano Chronarch CI4+ baitcasters for another person to look out. Nice! But I would rather have Shimano's new Stradic CI4+ spinning reel. That spinning reel looks real nice.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    not really, more just wanted to wet a line.

Do the chickens have large talons?

Watching Greendog's video, it looked like Shakamak was producing the bigger fish.

As one who fishes for yield, nice sized fish are important. Three of the my once favorite public lakes nearest my area have been drained for dam work in the last ten years. After years of recovery, they have numbers of fish, but nothing of respectable size.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    Hoping to get a trailer for my little jonboat this year so I can actually get out ON the water!

Mild tangent... why are there so few rear-drag spinning reels anymore? I dislike front drag, would rather have it right in the back for quicker adjustment... But not nearly as common as they used to be...

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    I have used rear drag and trigger for a lot of years to the point it is muscle memory for me both casting and fighting fish. In recent years they have cheapened the rear drag and trigger reels so they tend to crap out, fail and people are generally unhappy with them. Read some online reviews of the lower dollar Shimanos etc. So now the cheapest one you want to buy is about a $60 Shimano, I forget what model, but I think it was a 2500 series Spirex? Local rod shop is researching to see if there any others as good but I doubt it. So it is that reel or higher $$ to get a decent one. I went through this because my newest reel like that, which is at least 5 years old started having issues last year and I am not use to that on my Shimanos. I think it was the first of the turds. For the same money the new Pfluegers reels are freaking smooth but muscle memory kicks in and I am not use to a reel with no slop or play in the handle so that it can automatically center the bail.

I think the good trigger reels just cost more to make so its more $$ per reel or walk away from them. I will probably pony up for the more $$. Kind of pisses me off though. I am going to try to rebuild the one that crapped out too just for a learning experience. All my older ones are fine.

DarkRose

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    May 14, 2010
    Columbus, Indiana
    I have used rear drag and trigger for a lot of years to the point it is muscle memory for me both casting and fighting fish. In recent years they have cheapened the rear drag and trigger reels so they tend to crap out, fail and people are generally unhappy with them. Read some online reviews of the lower dollar Shimanos etc. So now the cheapest one you want to buy is about a $60 Shimano, I forget what model, but I think it was a 2500 series Spirex? Local rod shop is researching to see if there any others as good but I doubt it. So it is that reel or higher $$ to get a decent one. I went through this because my newest reel like that, which is at least 5 years old started having issues last year and I am not use to that on my Shimanos. I think it was the first of the turds. For the same money the new Pfluegers reels are freaking smooth but muscle memory kicks in and I am not use to a reel with no slop or play in the handle so that it can automatically center the bail.

I think the good trigger reels just cost more to make so its more $$ per reel or walk away from them. I will probably pony up for the more $$. Kind of pisses me off though. I am going to try to rebuild the one that crapped out too just for a learning experience. All my older ones are fine.

The rod I used most for my plastic worms is an old wal-mart special with a cheapie Shimano on it, I think it's the something-400 (BX400?) anyway, the upgraded model is still under $15 at Rural King (I know, I bought a new one last year), but my old one is still going strong after probably close to 25 years?

Not a heavy fisherman either, but trying to change that some.

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    I finally have to replace my old shakespear spinning reel. It went strong for 12 years, with full strip/clean/relube every couple years. Im gonna miss the wooden handle on that thing, it was comfy..

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    I went to my first ever fish expo in Brazil Indiana today at the fair grounds. I've never been to a fishing show/expo before. I'm glad I went. I found El Grande lures there and talked with the owner. I thought they were based in Texas or Mexico but nope - Linton Indiana! The owner said he designed them here but makes them in a plant in Georgia. He was very nice and game me a nice deal since I'm new (one year of fishing) - one bag of 5" Gila Monster lizards, one bag of 8.75" Gila Monster lizard, and one Hatch Match stick, all for ten dollars. I've been wanting to order those plastics from Tackle Warehouse but haven't gotten around to it yet. Cool that I picked them up there at the expo. The owner was very nice. I can't wait to try that Hatch Match Stick. That think looks like a cigar. Those lizards look pretty sweet too. Lots of people there.

SigFan07

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    Indiana
    Do any of you ever use split shot weights? Last year all I used were bullet weights for my Texas Rigged worms and lizards. I want to move to Carolina rigging this year and I'm going to use bullet weights but I also want to try
    split shot weights. I was thinking - a little split shot on the line, six or so inches down the line a round bend worm hook, then a five to seven inch lizard or worm: and I have a super finesse rig to catch bass.

pjcalla

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Hit the river yesterday, as the flows were down to ~450 cfs & ~4.3'. No dice. I'm having a hell of a time winter smallie fishing. I have been out 4 times now, with nothing to show except for about a dozen lost flies. At least I know my new waders and boots work great.

bradrob

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 15, 2014
    Hamilton County
    Hit the river yesterday, as the flows were down to ~450 cfs & ~4.3'. No dice. I'm having a hell of a time winter smallie fishing. I have been out 4 times now, with nothing to show except for about a dozen lost flies. At least I know my new waders and boots work great.

Last summer I got back on the White River up around Noblesville in my fishing kayak. Hadn't fished it since the fish kill in 1999. Caught several nice smallies and even a few largemouths. Can't wait for Spring...not quite ready for winter fishing though.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    Yeah, I watched his video, that's what gave me the idea.

Our pond was about 4-5 inches thick. Gotta a few nibbles, but didn't catch anything.

1797398_10151991289758528_858208082_n.jpg

Maddog1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 10, 2014
    Fort Wayne
    I am definitely looking forward to fishing. I like to hit Lake Michigan early for coho and Erie for walleye. Then to steuben county for gills. I can almost taste them now.

Top Bottom