• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • spectre327

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 19, 2011
    Seymour, Indiana
    I was homeschooled and as of now still get credited for being "too smart" for my age. Hell I'm only 26. Just scored 88 on my ASVAB and my recruiter told me I scored highest of those he has recruited with a GED AND of those he has recruited in the past 12 months. Sigh, we need more homeschooling and traditions in place-

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I was homeschooled and as of now still get credited for being "too smart" for my age. Hell I'm only 26. Just scored 88 on my ASVAB and my recruiter told me I scored highest of those he has recruited with a GED AND of those he has recruited in the past 12 months. Sigh, we need more homeschooling and traditions in place-

Really, an 88. Things must have gone down hill then. I was public school educated +20 years ago and my asvab was mid nineties.

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    If I were callin' the plays, I'd put 88GT in charge of all (primary) education. Of course, due to principles, she wouldn't accept the job, but so help you if she ever did, you would see a marked improvement ... or else.
    :whip:

:)

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    When we decided to home school my son the state of Michigan did everything possible to stop it. Because of his disabilities they said he would never make it without a structured classroom. My son will continue to have hurdles to surpass, but at 24 yrs old and has taught himself 6 languages, I think he's done pretty well!

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit

I mean no disrespect but, an 88 GT score (not to be confused with our own 88GT) was the highest that recruiter has seen in 12 months, they have either changed the ASVAB or we should all weep for this nation. When I enlisted in the 1980's most scores under 100 were rejected.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    I mean no disrespect but, an 88 GT score (not to be confused with our own 88GT) was the highest that recruiter has seen in 12 months, they have either changed the ASVAB or we should all weep for this nation. When I enlisted in the 1980's most scores under 100 were rejected.

I think they're referring to the overall test score. I think in the 80's or 90's is the max score. I'm pretty sure the GT score is only 1 component of it. Iirc, my overall score was an 86. I know my GT was a 123. That was from being made to take the test as a junior in a public high school with no intentions of joining the military at that time.

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    I think they're referring to the overall test score. I think in the 80's or 90's is the max score. I'm pretty sure the GT score is only 1 component of it. Iirc, my overall score was an 86. I know my GT was a 123. That was from being made to take the test as a junior in a public high school with no intentions of joining the military at that time.

That could be true, however I never heard anyone refer to anything other than the General Technical (GT) in nearly 14 years of service, I never knew there was a 'consolidated' measurement. My GT was 121, which I was told was moderately above average. Most people I knew had scored 110 or above. Like I said, perhaps the ASVAB has been modified, I'm not discounting that possibility.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Dang homeschoolers... They probably even play that dangerous tag game.

We can't allow a large disparity in people as that might lead to the lower tier of folks to feel bad about themselves, whether that is in athletics, intellect or economics. Since not every can rise to the top, you have to drag everyone to the bottom (LCD).

GMtoblat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 9, 2012
    Crane
    if im not mistaken, the highest score attainable is 99 for ASVAB, meaning you did better than 99% percent of all people taken the test. 86 is a very respectable number, i think i was at a mid to high 70's can't remember. South Park's "Raising the Bar" eloquently explains the OP

-Jake-

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 6, 2013
    NWI
    Public educated, got a 93 on the asvab, made it through engineering college. 80% sure my kids will be home schooled though. ;)

Stschil

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2010
    At the edge of sanit
    if im not mistaken, the highest score attainable is 99 for ASVAB, meaning you did better than 99% percent of all people taken the test. 86 is a very respectable number, i think i was at a mid to high 70's can't remember.

That make perfect sense and Thank you. An 88 then, as a percentile representation is quite good indeed.

HeadlessRoland

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 8, 2011
    In the dark
    When we decided to home school my son the state of Michigan did everything possible to stop it. Because of his disabilities they said he would never make it without a structured classroom. My son will continue to have hurdles to surpass, but at 24 yrs old and has taught himself 6 languages, I think he's done pretty well!

Anyone who can speak six languages fluently has the world opened to him.

Top Bottom