• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • NIFT

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 3, 2009
    Fort Wayne, Indiana
    I am from Illinois and am NRA certified to teach Basic Pistol and ISP certified as a CCW instructor. A couple posts are not correct but it is understandable because confusion was written into the law. At this point in time Indiana is not listed as similar laws to be eligable to get a non-resident permit. However it does look promising because 27 Indiana instructors are approved. Anyone applying from Illinois or a non-resident can "grandfather" up to eight hours of training of the required 16 hours. No matter what or where you are from you must take eight hours minimum. Military service qualifies for eight hours as does the NRA Basic Pistol, PPITH and PPOTH. A Utah permit is good for four hours as is Florida and a couple others.

https://www.isp.state.il.us/appriss/ccw/CCWPriorTrainingCredit.pdf

Jim.

The above information is correct, and Jim is right: the current IL law is convoluted, conflicting, and confusing, with many things yet to be worked out. I was somewhat instrumental in helping a very helpful person in the IL State Police CCL office get the ball rolling on out-of-state IL CCL Instructors. Both I and one of my staff instructors, Bryan DeYoung are now certified. However, as Jim noted, Indiana is not listed as having "substantially similar" laws to IL. In fact, only one state is on the list: Hawaii, and Hawaii hasn't approved anyone for a CCL in many, many years; plus Hawaii doesn't even give access to an application for its CCL. I suppose that is how Hawaii is " substantially similar," i.e., essentially impossible!

This will sort itself out, and I will start, tomorrow, helping to expedite the process.

Thanks, Jim, for your accurate information.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    I guess you didn't read the OP.
    Yeah I did. Maybe you misunderstood my response? I was asking why others cared if you got it or not. There seemed to be a lot of people questioning you for wanting to.

Yeah well i work in communist Chicago every day so im stuck. Sucks
    I do too. I have no intention of getting one though. The ability to carry in my car is enough. I wouldn't be able to carry it into work or much of anywhere else I would ever be.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Yeah I did. Maybe you misunderstood my response? I was asking why others cared if you got it or not. There seemed to be a lot of people questioning you for wanting to.

My apologies... I completely misinterpreted your post.

Last edited:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    All I need is the drive through privilege. Now I don't have to avoid driving south on State St. between Hammond and Calumet City.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    My big concern right now is, from what I have read, Indiana has said that they will honor the Illinois licenses. I am hoping that this is a good will gesture, in hopes that Illinois will honor Indiana's license down the road??
    If Illinois doesn't honor ours, in a reasonable time, I think we as Indiana LTCH holders should raise hell with our elected representatives.

ScouT6a

Master
    Rating - 92.9%
    13   1   0
    Mar 11, 2013
    And no, I am not planning on getting an Illinois license. Since we can now legally carry on our person in our vehicle/ carry in our vehicle.
    I have done that for twenty years anyway. Kinda the whole judged by 12 or carried by 6 thing with me.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    My big concern right now is, from what I have read, Indiana has said that they will honor the Illinois licenses. I am hoping that this is a good will gesture, in hopes that Illinois will honor Indiana's license down the road??
    If Illinois doesn't honor ours, in a reasonable time, I think we as Indiana LTCH holders should raise hell with our elected representatives.

Indiana is one of the states that "honor" the permit issued by any other state or foreign country. Illinois will come more in line soon after we get a "R" Governor and a "R" majority in the house and senate. I can see the possibility of a "R" governor this next election but don't hold your breath for the majorities to happen. Jim.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009

Yes IN will honor IL licenses. This state honors all carry licenses/permits/whatever(as long as your not a resident of IN). Including those from foreign countries. And why should we restrict IL carriers because their legislators suck ass?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Yes IN will honor IL licenses. This state honors all carry licenses/permits/whatever(as long as your not a resident of IN). Including those from foreign countries. And why should we restrict IL carriers because their legislators suck ass?

Thank you. We are trying and we will make it better but it will take some more time. Jim.

Newhoosier

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2013
    Kouts
    Ya... I'll most likely get one if they approve Indiana. I was forced to transfer to ****cago for work and chose to live in Indiana. Great state btw. I love Indiana. The 55 mile commute is worth every mile. I currently car carry and still pray every day I don't get stopped. I may be legal but I doubt Illinois leo's care. Too much brainwashing. I wouldn't bother with Illinois ccw but what if I break down? not leaving it in the truck

my64rox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Hammond
    w
    The above information is correct, and Jim is right: the current IL law is convoluted, conflicting, and confusing, with many things yet to be worked out. I was somewhat instrumental in helping a very helpful person in the IL State Police CCL office get the ball rolling on out-of-state IL CCL Instructors. Both I and one of my staff instructors, Bryan DeYoung are now certified. However, as Jim noted, Indiana is not listed as having "substantially similar" laws to IL. In fact, only one state is on the list: Hawaii, and Hawaii hasn't approved anyone for a CCL in many, many years; plus Hawaii doesn't even give access to an application for its CCL. I suppose that is how Hawaii is " substantially similar," i.e., essentially impossible!

This will sort itself out, and I will start, tomorrow, helping to expedite the process.

my64rox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Hammond
    Well I "jumped the gun" on my application process . I got all my training done and documentation ready . I know my electronic prints will expire in 60 days , do you know if my paperwork will also ?

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    Well I "jumped the gun" on my application process . I got all my training done and documentation ready . I know my electronic prints will expire in 60 days , do you know if my paperwork will also ?

The certificate you should have from the class should have no expiration date. Jim.

my64rox

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2014
    Hammond
    Thanks Jim keep us posted . Where I live borders Illinois and its such a bleeping inconvenience for us cch . I have the IN , UT , AZ and FL permit and they're useless in Illinois .
    The certificate you should have from the class should have no expiration date. Jim.

Top Bottom