Who was toughest sumbich American to ever live?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Marine 2nd Lieutenant (!) John P Bobo.

The President of the United States in the name of The Congress takes pride in presenting the MEDAL OF HONOR posthumously to
    SECOND LIEUTENANT JOHN P. BOBO
    UNITED STATES MARINE CORPS
    for service as set forth in the following CITATION:
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Weapons Platoon Commander, Company I, Third Battalion, Ninth Marines, Third Marine Division, in Quang Tri Province, Republic of Vietnam, on 30 March 1967. Company I was establishing night ambush sites when the command group was attacked by a reinforced North Vietnamese company supported by heavy automatic weapons and mortar fire. Lieutenant Bobo immediately organized a hasty defense and moved from position to position encouraging the outnumbered Marines despite the murderous enemy fire. Recovering a rocket launcher from among the friendly casualties, he organized a new launcher team and directed its fire into the enemy machine gun position. When an exploding enemy mortar round severed Lieutenant Bobo's right leg below the knee, he refused to be evacuated and insisted upon being placed in a firing position to cover the movement of the command group to a better location. With a web belt around his leg serving as tourniquet and with his leg jammed into the dirt to curtail the bleeding, he remained in this position and delivered devastating fire into the ranks of the enemy attempting to overrun the Marines. Lieutenant Bobo was mortally wounded while firing his weapon into the mainpoint of the enemy attack but his valiant spirit inspired his men to heroic efforts, and his tenacious stand enabled the command group to gain a protective position where it repulsed the enemy onslaught. Lieutenant Bobo's superb leadership, dauntless courage, and bold initiative reflected great credit upon himself and upheld the highest traditions of the Marine Corps and the United States Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.[1]

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    1stLt Wesley Fox
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving as commanding officer of Company A, in action against the enemy in the northern A Shau Valley. Capt. (then 1st Lt.) Fox's company came under intense fire from a large well concealed enemy force. Capt. Fox maneuvered to a position from which he could assess the situation and confer with his platoon leaders. As they departed to execute the plan he had devised, the enemy attacked and Capt. Fox was wounded along with all of the other members of the command group, except the executive officer. Capt. Fox continued to direct the activity of his company. Advancing through heavy enemy fire, he personally neutralized 1 enemy position and calmly ordered an assault against the hostile emplacements. He then moved through the hazardous area coordinating aircraft support with the activities of his men. When his executive officer was mortally wounded, Capt. Fox reorganized the company and directed the fire of his men as they hurled grenades against the enemy and drove the hostile forces into retreat. Wounded again in the final assault, Capt. Fox refused medical attention, established a defensive posture, and supervised the preparation of casualties for medical evacuation. His indomitable courage, inspiring initiative, and unwavering devotion to duty in the face of grave personal danger inspired his Marines to such aggressive action that they overcame all enemy resistance and destroyed a large bunker complex. Capt. Fox's heroic actions reflect great credit upon himself and the Marine Corps, and uphold the highest traditions of the U.S. Naval Service.
    Held every rank from private to 1stSgt, then from 2ndLt to Colonel. Career from Vietnam through 1st Gulf War. 4 purple hearts.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Sergeant Major Allan Jay Kellogg

Anybody that absorbs a grenade blast to the chest and LIVES = BADASS!!! :bowdown: :patriot:

Only one?
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty while serving with the First Battalion, Twenty-sixth Marines, Fifth Marine Division, during action against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands 20 February 1945. While creeping through a treacherous, twisting ravine which ran in close proximity to a fluid and uncertain front line on D-plus+1 Day, Private First Class Lucas and three other men were suddenly ambushed by a hostile patrol which savagely attacked with rifle fire and grenades. Quick to act when the lives of the small group were endangered by two grenades which landed directly in front of them, Private First Class Lucas unhesitatingly hurled himself over his comrades upon one grenade and pulled the other one under him, absorbing the whole blasting force of the explosions in his own body in order to shield his companions from the concussion and murderous flying fragments. By his inspiring action and valiant spirit of self-sacrifice, he not only protected his comrades from certain injury or possible death, but also enabled them to rout the Japanese patrol and continue the advance. His exceptionally courageous initiative and loyalty reflect the highest credit upon Private First Class Lucas and the United States Naval Service.[5]
    He passed away last summer.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I think it is safe to say that anyone who makes the MOH list is automatically in this group.
    I would venture to say anyone who has ever been nominated for the MOH is a hell of a lot tougher than most...

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Can't forget our Navy Brothers.
    Pharmacist's Mate First Class John Harlan Willis
    For conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity at the risk of his life above and beyond the call of duty as Platoon Corpsman serving with the 3d Battalion, 27th Marines, 5th Marine Division, during operations against enemy Japanese forces on Iwo Jima, Volcano Islands, 28 February 1945. Constantly imperiled by artillery and mortar fire from strong and mutually supporting pillboxes and caves studding Hill 362 in the enemy's cross-island defenses, Willis resolutely administered first aid to the many marines wounded during the furious close-in fighting until he himself was struck by shrapnel and was ordered back to the battle-aid station. Without waiting for official medical release, he quickly returned to his company and, during a savage hand-to-hand enemy counterattack, daringly advanced to the extreme frontlines under mortar and sniper fire to aid a marine lying wounded in a shellhole. Completely unmindful of his own danger as the Japanese intensified their attack, Willis calmly continued to administer blood plasma to his patient, promptly returning the first hostile grenade which landed in the shell-hole while he was working and hurling back 7 more in quick succession before the ninth exploded in his hand and instantly killed him. By his great personal valor in saving others at the sacrifice of his own life, he inspired his companions, although terrifically outnumbered, to launch a fiercely determined attack and repulse the enemy force. His exceptional fortitude and courage in the performance of duty reflect the highest credit upon Willis and the U.S. Naval Service. He gallantly gave his life for his country.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Winnie Madikizela-Mandela

Nelson Mandela's second wife (widowed by first while in prision)
    After spending 27 yrs in one of the most cruel penitentiary systems in South Africa... this bitch ran Mandela off in just 2 yrs!!!!!!!

He handled prison for 27yrs and marrige for 2, what does that say?!?

Mandela was released from Victor Verster Prison in Paarl on 11 February 1990

The marriage ended in (April 1992)

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    i cant believe im the first to say this but how about randy "the natural" couture.

still doing a sport that your old at 30 and he is in his mid 40s. trust me fighting is a young mans game. im only 28 and i feel it more and more after each fight (even the easy ones). everyone is always saying randys age will catch up to him tonight in the prefight but at the end all they say is "this is unreal".

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    Hugh Glass

Hugh Glass - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Near the forks of the Grand River in present-day Perkins County, in August 1823, while scouting alone for game for the expedition's larder, Glass surprised a Grizzly mother bear with her two cubs. Before he could fire his rifle, the bear charged, picked him up, and threw him to the ground. Glass got up, grappled for his knife, and fought back, stabbing the animal repeatedly as the grizzly raked him time and again with her claws.
    Glass managed to kill the bear with help from his trapping partners, Fitzgerald and Bridger, but was left badly mauled and unable to walk. When Glass lost consciousness, Henry became convinced the man would not survive his injuries.
    Henry asked for two volunteers to stay with Glass until he died, and then bury him. Bridger (then 17 years old) and Fitzgerald stepped forward, and as the rest of the party moved on, began digging his grave. Later claiming that they were interrupted in the task by an attack by "Arikaree" Indians, the pair grabbed Glass's rifle, knife, and other equipment, and took flight.
    Bridger and Fitzgerald reported to Henry -- wrongly it turned out -- that Glass had died.

[edit] The Odyssey to Fort Kiowa

Despite his injuries, Glass regained consciousness. He did so only to find himself abandoned, without weapons or equipment, suffering from a broken leg, the cuts on his back exposing bare ribs, and all his wounds festering. Glass lay mutilated and alone, more than 200 mi (320 km) from the nearest settlement at Fort Kiowa on the Missouri.
    In one of the more remarkable treks known to history, Glass set his own leg, wrapped himself in the bear hide his companions had placed over him as a shroud, and began crawling. To prevent gangrene, Glass laid his wounded back on a rotting log and let the maggots eat the dead flesh.
    Deciding that following the Grand River would be too dangerous because of hostile Native Americans, Glass crawled overland south toward the Cheyenne River. It took him six weeks to reach it.
    Glass survived mostly on wild berries and roots. On one occasion he was able to drive two wolves from a downed bison calf, and feast on the meat...

mike8170

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 18, 2008
    Hiding from reality
    Rodger Young, my opinion.

He was small of stature, legally deaf, poor vision, and took a reduction from Sgt to Pvt in order to fight with his unit. That took mental toughness most people don't have.

From the United States Army's Medal of Honor List
    Rank and organization: Private, United States Army, 148th Infantry, US 37th Infantry Division. Place and date: On New Georgia, Solomon Islands, July 31, 1943. Entered service at: Clyde, Ohio. Birth: Tiffin, Ohio. G.O. No.: 3, January 6, 1944.
    Medal of Honor Citation: On July 31, 1943, the infantry company of which Pvt. Young was a member, was ordered to make a limited withdrawal from the battle line in order to adjust the battalion's position for the night. At this time, Pvt. Young's platoon was engaged with the enemy in a dense jungle where observation was very limited. The platoon suddenly was pinned down by intense fire from a Japanese machine gun concealed on higher ground only 75 yards (69 m) away. The initial burst wounded Pvt. Young. As the platoon started to obey the order to withdraw, Pvt. Young called out that he could see the enemy emplacement, whereupon he started creeping toward it. Another burst from the machine gun wounded him the second time. Despite the wounds, he continued his heroic advance, attracting enemy fire and answering with rifle fire. When he was close enough to his objective, he began throwing hand grenades, and while doing so was hit again and killed. Pvt. Young's bold action in closing with this Japanese pillbox and thus diverting its fire, permitted his platoon to disengage itself, without loss, and was responsible for several enemy casualties.

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Definitely Audie Murphy.

From Wikipedia:

Audie Murphy was credited with destroying six tanks in addition to killing over 240 German soldiers and wounding and capturing many others.[4] By the end of World War II he was a legend within the 3rd Infantry Division.[3] His principal U.S. decorations included the Medal of Honor, Distinguished Service Cross, two Silver Stars, the Legion of Merit, two Bronze Stars with Valor device, and three Purple Hearts (all for genuine combat wounds). Murphy participated in campaigns in North Africa, Sicily, Italy, France and Germany, as denoted by his European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with one silver battle star (denoting five campaigns), four bronze battle stars, plus a bronze arrowhead representing his two amphibious assault landings at Sicily and southern France. During the French Campaign, Murphy was awarded two Presidential Citations, one from the 3rd Inf, Division, and one from the 15th Inf. Regiment during the Holtzwihr action.

Thank you. I was hoping someone would mention him.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    Sgt Carlos Hathcock, US marine sniper, His book ONE SHOT ONE KILL is the best, I could'nt put it down untill I had finised it, and I am not a reader.

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    General George S. Patton :)
    Agreed.
    An Olympic shooter,youngest man ever to get "master of the sword"in US Calvary history,Participated in the first ever armored car assault and in the process killed a few of Poncho Villa's generals(then strapped them to the hood of his armored car),while leading a charge against a German machine gun in world war one he was shot and of the 6 in the attack only 2 lived,Developed US armored combat tactics,was a brilliant leader of troops in many battle during world war 2,he carried polished nickle-plated ivory gripped Colt single action 45 and later a S&W model 27 357(also ivory gripped and nickle-plated),he hated politicians,cursed when it made his point,had no question that he was always right(and he was correct lol).
    He won a few medals during his service to America.
    United States awards

General Patton's Ribbons as they would appear today

Distinguished Service Cross with one oak leaf cluster

Distinguished Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters

Silver Star with one oak leaf cluster Legion of Merit Bronze Star Purple Heart Silver Lifesaving Medal [45] Mexican Service Medal

World War I Victory Medal with five battle clasps American Defense Service Medal

European-African-Middle Eastern Campaign Medal with one silver and two bronze service stars American Campaign Medal World War II Victory Medal In 1955, the U.S. Army posthumously presented General Patton with the Army of Occupation Medal for service as the first occupation commander of Bavaria.
    [edit] Foreign and international awards

Some quotes.
    “Moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men.”
    “No good decision was ever made in a swivel chair.”
    “Wars may be fought with weapons, but they are won by men.”
    "May God have mercy upon my enemies,because I wont."
    “The object of war is not to die for your country but to make the other bastard die for his.”
    “We herd sheep, we drive cattle, we lead people. Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way.”
    “Give me an army of West Point graduates and I'll win a battle. Give me a handful of Texas Aggies, and I'll win the war.”
    “God of our fathers, who by land and sea have ever lead us to victory, please continue your inspiring guidance in this the greatest of all conflicts. Strengthen my soul so that the weakening instinct of self-preservation, which besets all of us in battle, shall not blind me to my duty to my own manhood, to the glory of my calling, and to my responsibility to my fellow soldiers. Grant to our armed forces that disciplined valor and mutual confidence which insures success in war. Let me not mourn for the men who have died fighting, but rather let me be glad that such heroes have lived. If it be my lot to die, let me do so with courage and honor in a manner which will bring the greatest harm to the enemy, and please, oh Lord, protect and guide those I shall leave behind. Give us the victory, Lord.(attributed to Patton and signed by him sent to 20k troops,but his Chaplin wrote it).
    One of my favorite...
    When I want my men to remember something important, to really make it stick, I give it to them double dirty. It may not sound nice to some bunch of little old ladies at an afternoon tea party, but it helps my soldiers to remember. You can't run an army without profanity; and it has to be eloquent profanity. An army without profanity couldn't fight its way out of a ****-soaked paper bag.
    "Son, only a pimp in a Louisiana whore house carries pearl handled revolvers, these are ivory."
    ...this thread is supposed to be AMERICAN is it not?
    Got a rep and had to add something. Can you imagine where this country would be if he was currently president?Would be less whining and bitching that is for sure,and bailouts/hand outs I don't think so lol.

Last edited:

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    <----------------- Lookin at him!! :D:D Why are you looking at me like that? Aw, cmon! Im hardcore! Really! This one time.... :D

I second the Hugh Glass, he is hard core and an early Jack Bauer prototype if you ask me. Audey Murphey is pretty hardcore, but loses it in my mind when someone even lays a hand on a woman (he was a woman beater, NOT cool).

In all seriousness, how about Gandi? He took beatings, prison time and near death via starvation (and as an old man at that). While not a war hero, he fought a different war in a different sense.

Top Bottom