• Status
    Not open for further replies.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    ad hominem, I fully believe in the right to bear arms.

7979a99761bb0299812b8b5a4e1f9707970b0355d5d1bab8d9f77ba17185d017.jpg

digitalmonster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    A Supreme Court case finding a federal Constitutional right to birth control led to a federal Constitutional right to abortion, then sodomy, and perhaps soon gay marriage (that line of cases has indeed been cited in the several lower court decisions). This is not a logical fallacy; it is fact. Whether that is a positive or negative progression is a matter of personal perspective, but the progression is there.

Predicting the next (or, if not next, later) step in the progression is more difficult, but there will be a next step, and several steps after that. The "slippery slope" is only a logical fallacy if there is no reliable evidence of a progression or where it may be leading.

The problem is linking dissimilar things trying to make connections on the slippery slope.

digitalmonster

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    Fallacious, but I really really like fell... wait, different thing.

You know, I am way beyond caring whether some leftist wanker publishes an article calling something a logical fallacy. Some things are, some things aren't. I'm intellectually more than capable of distinguishing between the two. Sometimes I just need a guide to the accepted names, because my brain's not wired for names. The slippery slope, however, is a very real thing. It does not refer to one thing following necessarily from another, but to one thing taking the opportunity provided by another. Just a tiny example: m'lady and I were discussing gay marriage, and I mentioned the pedos (shh!) She was skeptical, but just a couple of weeks later, there it was, bigger than life, an article about how the pedos wanted some kind of acceptance or other, and I showed it to her. She thought I was some kind of fortune teller or something, being able to predict this stuff, but it's just an application of the [bad word] slippery slope principle. ****est thou not with thine intellectual superiors. Thou shalt not prevail, in fact, thou shalt be ground to a noisome powder underfoot.

Do you think that society that protects our children will allow what you are describing?

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Now, before you start thinking that I may, by implication, calling my own wife an idiot...my wife married a lot boy/junior used car salesman. Her respect for the institution of marriage kept her married to a lawyer.
    Wait. You are a Lawyer/User car salesman? Wow! That is true love for you. :):

hopper68

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Pike County
    Too late...... I married a lawyer.......

Wait, are you 2 a couple?

Yeah...that's how it ​seems.

You really should be nicer to your wife.

Now, before you start thinking that I may, by implication, calling my own wife an idiot...my wife married a lot boy/junior used car salesman. Her respect for the institution of marriage kept her married to a lawyer.

So like 88GT, Printcraft is not a guy? You learn something new on INGO every day!

Also the humor gets worse every day.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Do you think that society that protects our children will allow what you are describing?

You haven't had enough yet?

Ok. Not all of society, but there are elements of it that seek to cause or make these things happen. Every time one wedges itself in, it becomes easier for the others to follow. Each one takes us further, and I consider where they're taking us to be down. Down a slope, and they're greasing it, so it's slippery. See how that works? Don't get the idea that I'm in favor of this; I am in fact one of the guys that wants to stop it. I have children, and I want them protected. Their first line of defense is me. I'm part of the society that's supposed to be preventing this. When I see, for example, gay marriage being used to break down traditional marriage, I have to wonder what's next, and I've been very good at predicting it, because I don't irrationally reject the idea of the slippery slope. I don't handicap myself that way. Now, I don't care if they have their relationships, civil unions, whatever, as long as they're not using that to bludgeon the rest of us into conformity with them. Leave the bakers, florists, churches, etc. alone.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom