Who knows about the fact that you carry a gun?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jason867

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    113   0   0
    Jan 7, 2009
    New Castle
    I don't tell anyone except close immediate family, and only if they bring it up, I don't bring it up on purpose.

Unfortunately, one of those close family members is the type that think Black Talons are the best thing since sliced bread and will go through body armor, and think that the 357mag will go through an engine block, lol.

Not only that, but he has a bad habit of asking if I'm carrying "heat" or "my piece" in public, crowded places... :facepalm:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I'll highlight it and explain the context:

Phrasing it in that way, it conveys that this is your opinion of what others (everyone) should do.

I believe that your thought was, "I, sneaky sneaky Sylvain, like to act like I'm doing something illegal." :shady:

That's cool.

Whatever works for you. Hope they get a BANG out of your big surprise. :D

Oh I get it now!
    Thanks, I really need some sleep, I can hardly see what im typing. :n00b:
    Yes you are right.I meant that its my own opinion and not how everybody should act.
    I think most of the people who CC want it to be a secret and probably act like I do.So in a way maybe im also saying that its how everybody who CC should act.
    I just wouldnt understand how someone who would CC would like everybody to know that he's armed.Then why not OC?
    Just the same way I wouldnt understand someone who OC and would want to keep it secret. :dunno:

I dont know if once again I make sense or not. :rolleyes:

Anyway one thing where everybody (in INGO) would agree: OC or CC doesnt matter much at the end of the day as long as you carry.And we are lucky enough to have both way possible in Indiana so just pick the one who works best for you. :yesway:

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I just wouldnt understand how someone who would CC would like everybody to know that he's armed.Then why not OC?

OC is not a legal option in Texas or Florida.

Just the same way I wouldnt understand someone who OC and would want to keep it secret. :dunno:

CC is not a legal option in Wisconsin. Also not an option in some other states between the ages of 18-21.

And I agree, it is good to have the option of both here.

dom1104

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    uh.. I am not sure I care who knows or not... odd question imo.

Do I have a gun on me? yes, do I care who knows it? no. Do I walk around the family christmas party handing out presents with my Colt in full view?

uh.. no.

Am I sneaking around like I am doing something wrong? No.
    Am I parading around in the gun owner equivalent of "LOOK AT ME LOOK AT ME! I'm So Cool!" No.
    Do I walk up to a friend and say "Hey check it out, I am carrying a gun!" uh.. definatly not.

ralphb72

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Oct 11, 2008
    Greens Fork, IN
    PLEASE let's not turn this in to OC/CC debate, that was NOT the question and there are plenty of threads about that already!

"You wife/husband,Family,People at work,Neighbors,Friends, other ... etc?
    What if you meet new people, do you keep it secret?"

My wife/husband, some family (Mom, Dad, Dad, two aunts, all 4 kids), anyone who looked at my recent Facebook Note: ( Login | Facebook ) which was in response to some negative things someone commented about my pro-gun status update. All of my facebook "friends", (483), the people who work directly for me (7 1/2), a few people in other departments where I work but not many.

Only me and my wife know how often I carry though.

Edited to Add: And I'm not even sure if she knows.

New people don't get to know until I know them better, and it depends on in which category above that they belong.

Last edited:

Jeckle

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 25, 2010
    Greenwood
    Sometimes my wife knows, but even she does not know how frequently I carry. Aside from her, the one friend who I regularly shoot with. And he only knows because he gives me a bunch of flack if I'm not carrying.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Let's see:
    Family, friends, many acquaintances, several co-workers, and depending on the day - some strangers. All of INGO :D

It isn't a big secret, and I don't go out of the way to hide the fact that I carry.

tv1217

N6OTB
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    Kouts
    Other than my mother, father, brother and sister, I don't think anyone else in my family knows. Some of my co-workers know, the others probably suspect it. I don't/can't carry at work, though.

riverman67

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Morgan County
    Anyone that I am likely to spend any time with away from my work place knows. I don't want them freaking out when they happen to see it.
    I am not armed ,with a firearm, at work because that is their policy and it is legal in every way. Ive checked:rolleyes:

.40caltrucker

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    All my friends and family know that if they see me there is a gun hidden on me. I'm not afraid to tell people that I'm carrying. So far no one has said anything stupid, a few have been :eek: you have a gun. After their little shock there like OK.

Last edited:

farmer2001

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 9, 2011
    North Liberty
    I like to keep it to myself. I like to think of it as an "Ace" up my sleeve so to speek. Ill bring it out only if I really really need to. Otherwise Ill let my "Grizzly Adams" like appearance keep any one from starting any trouble.

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    Some of the family knows, some don't. Most of the family does carry, especially the immediate ones.

I almost always CC. If backpacking, canoeing, etc... and it's not somewhat convenient, then OC.

VERT

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Seymour
    I do not keep it a secret that I carry a gun. Nor do I advertise the fact. I do not have any problems telling people that I carry a firearm if the topic comes up and they ask. As an advocate for the carrying of defensive firearms, I feel that I am helping people that have questions about guns or gun ownership. The main thing is to respect other peoples opinions, obey the laws, and respect the policies of employers and property owners.

Comp

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 2, 2009
    T H I N
    I don't tell anyone except close immediate family, and only if they bring it up, I don't bring it up on purpose.

Unfortunately, one of those close family members is the type that think Black Talons are the best thing since sliced bread and will go through body armor, and think that the 357mag will go through an engine block, lol.

Not only that, but he has a bad habit of asking if I'm carrying "heat" or "my piece" in public, crowded places... :facepalm:

I think I am also related to that guy.... Does he describe the black talons as " The real deal?" Doesn't carry with one in the pipe? He also thinks all gang bangers carry FN 5.7s

Top Bottom