• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    So I made a hell of a trade lastnight.... traded a G19 Gen 4 for a basically new Sig p229 DAK. Even if I don't like it, I could sell it and buy another new glock, plus have some $ left over for ammo.

So question.... for those of you that carry DAK, how do you like it? I have a feeling it will be hard to get use to. The trigger setting and pull poundage almost seems backwards! Very unlike anything I've ever experienced. I can see an advantage and see how its useful for carry. What are your thoughts?

Other than the trigger, I'd have to say, its one of the most beautiful handguns I've owned. Sexier than my 226 forsure.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    The SIG with the DAK trigger is a GREAT design. I grew up on/learned on and carried at the start a DA revolver. It is one of the most safe designs ever. The problem now a days is a lot of shooters are not taught how to properly utilize a DAO type design. the DAK is the biggest improvement to a DAO design where it is still considered DAO. So my advice is learn how to do it with a revolver and the DAK will really shine.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Like I said though, it's going to take some serious getting use to. It just makes no sense to me... how the close reset is stiffer than the long, full reset. I wish it was the other way around.
    Does anyone have experience with trigger or spring jobs to further lighten pull? Either polishing or lighter springs? If so, any issues with light strikes utilizing a lighter # spring?

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Like I said though, it's going to take some serious getting use to. It just makes no sense to me... how the close reset is stiffer than the long, full reset. I wish it was the other way around.
    Does anyone have experience with trigger or spring jobs to further lighten pull? Either polishing or lighter springs? If so, any issues with light strikes utilizing a lighter # spring?

With the DAK system there really isn't a need to lighten anything since they are about the same as a slicked up custom PPC revolver of back in the day. IMHO. And I say this from extensive experience using traditional DAO automatics (the ones with a hammer). The key to shooting a DAK or DAO auto well is learn the trigger. As far as close up shots you can shoot fast and accurate. As far as shooting accurate at farther ranges "stage the trigger" just like the good old DAO revolvers.

Hopper

Master
    Rating - 100%
    32   0   0
    Nov 6, 2013
    Hamilton County
    I've kind of done a reversal, and am now a HUGE fan of hammer guns vs. strikers. The two best purchases I've made in the last few years is the new 2014 CZ P-07 in both 9mm and .40. Both are setup with the decocker option. While they are not DAO, I think they are absolutely safe to carry, and incredibly pleasant to shoot... I can hardly miss what I'm aiming at with either one, especially the 9mm.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Appreciated the experienced input!
    One thing I've noticed about the DAK, hands down, bar none, I have never felt a more smooth pull. Its absolutely incredible. I can't get over the lack of play. Its butter smooth.

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Great article!
    Does anyone know the approx value on a very lightly used p229 dak? I'm just having a very hard time finding a used one that's not a running auction.

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    The only drawback I have seen with the DA autos is with my wife. She has a tendency to watch the hammer, and react to it in relationship to the hammer fall. Lots of practice, and pay attention to your basics, and you just might be amazed at what that pistol can do.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to spend that much more time at the range, getting used to that trigger. I dont see how that can be a problem, lol

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    The only drawback I have seen with the DA autos is with my wife. She has a tendency to watch the hammer, and react to it in relationship to the hammer fall. Lots of practice, and pay attention to your basics, and you just might be amazed at what that pistol can do.

Sounds like a perfect excuse to spend that much more time at the range, getting used to that trigger. I dont see how that can be a problem, lol

Very true.
    I'm just so set on my ways as they are, DA/SA and striker fire. Adding a 3rd firing setup is concerning me. I love sigs, and I have aspirations to collect them, but I replaced my primary carry weapon with this (g19 gen 4... straight up trade. That guy was CRAZY!). I'm only 5'10'' 175ish and this gun is a HELL of a lot heavier than I thought it would be. If I had more of a disposable income, I'd keep it, no question, and just get another blue label G19. I have some awesome trade offers coming my way right now, so we'll see how it goes. Its hard to decide though. This thing is top notch quality and I LOVE sig so darn much.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    101   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Very true.
    I'm just so set on my ways as they are, DA/SA and striker fire. Adding a 3rd firing setup is concerning me. I love sigs, and I have aspirations to collect them, but I replaced my primary carry weapon with this (g19 gen 4... straight up trade. That guy was CRAZY!). I'm only 5'10'' 175ish and this gun is a HELL of a lot heavier than I thought it would be. If I had more of a disposable income, I'd keep it, no question, and just get another blue label G19. I have some awesome trade offers coming my way right now, so we'll see how it goes. Its hard to decide though. This thing is top notch quality and I LOVE sig so darn much.

You can always convert it to SA/DA. Pretty easy to do. There a lots of vids on the internet that will walk you through it.
    Here is a parts list from TopGunSupply. Cost would be ~$100 plus you get to learn how to disassemble your Sig pistol completely.
    Parts to convert from DAK to DA/SA

• Decocking Lever
    • Decocking Lever Spring
    • Decocking Lever Bearing
    • Hammer
    • Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral) *Note* Recently, #34280325 and #34280325N have been coming with the Hammer Strut Pin already installed
    • Hammer Reset Spring
    • Hammer Strut
    • Mainspring
    • Safety Lever
    • Sear
    • Sear Spring
    • Trigger Bar
    • DA/SA Grips with Decocking Lever cutout

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    You can always convert it to SA/DA. Pretty easy to do. There a lots of vids on the internet that will walk you through it.
    Here is a parts list from TopGunSupply. Cost would be ~$100 plus you get to learn how to disassemble your Sig pistol completely.
    Parts to convert from DAK to DA/SA

• Decocking Lever
    • Decocking Lever Spring
    • Decocking Lever Bearing
    • Hammer
    • Hammer Strut Pin (except P239 which is integral) *Note* Recently, #34280325 and #34280325N have been coming with the Hammer Strut Pin already installed
    • Hammer Reset Spring
    • Hammer Strut
    • Mainspring
    • Safety Lever
    • Sear
    • Sear Spring
    • Trigger Bar
    • DA/SA Grips with Decocking Lever cutout

Dude! Freakin REP!
    Thank you so much!

SpaldingPM

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Mar 22, 2013
    Yikes. After adding everything into the shopping cart, total came out to be $217.35 including shipping and SRT instead of the standard sear ($20 difference).

Anyone have a TopGunsSupply coupon code? hahaha

Top Bottom