attachment.php

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    Okay, let the spitballs fly.
    I wont flame you, but i will offer a different opinion.

Never have owned one, probably never will.
    Thankfully no one is yet forcing us to own guns we don't want.
    No, I'm definitely not in the camp of the hoplophobes who want to ban guns that look scary.
    That's excellent.
    I just don't really cop to what I consider a bit of a fad with this particular longarm.
    The M-16 is the longest serving rifle in US military history. The AR-15 and clones have been on the market for 50 years (give or take). These rifles hardly fads. Stoner and the other engineers at ArmaLite got quite a bit right the first time, and the modularity of the design has made upgrades extremely easy.
    About the only two scenarios I can foresee that the AR would provide an advantage for would be:
    1) hunting coyotes or other varmints in situations when multiple dogs or varmints make an appearance, making a low recoil semi-auto useful to pick off the second and third animals
    That's one of their best uses, but they're far more versatile than that as hunting rifles. With proper bullet selection and proper shot placement .223 Remington is an excellent white tail cartridge. Unfortunately it's not legal in many states because the old guard refuses to acknowledge the proven results that modern bullets have generated. The beauty of the modular system also means that your AR is the push of two captive pins and an upper swap away from switching caliber.
    2) for certain home defense situations
    An AR, or really any rifle firing a light bullet at high velocity, is a superior HD weapon. With ballistic tip or conventional JSP (not bonded core) bullets penetration after passing through intermediate barriers like drywall is far less than buckshot or handgun JHPs. Terminal ballistics without intermediate barriers are far better than handgun JHPs, and at least as good as buckshot.
    Other than that, I'll almost certainly irritate lots of AR fans by saying I don't see what an AR can accomplish from a ballistics performance and raw accuracy standpoint that a high quality bolt action or single shot couldn't beat decisively.
    That's just a gross misconception. ARs are very easy and inexpensive to accurize. They'll stay with bolt actions until you get into super high end benchrest guns.
    Generally speaking, a low end AR will cost nearly twice as much as a high quality turnbolt.
    Not even close. Using slickguns.com for comparison the Remington 700 SPS tactical is currently going for about $600. A 700 BDL is $700+. Smith & Wesson's entry level M&P-15 Sport (with bbl made in house by T/C) is selling for $600 as well.
    And, to really make the AR aficianados mad (sorry, but I'm expressing my opinion here), I like my guns to have a certain esthetic appeal to go with their performance, and no AR can match the visual appeal of the likes of a Remington 700 BDL or 700 Classic, or (my own) Ruger M77 with a nice walnut stock.
    That's cool. I like walnut stocked M14s/M1As too. They're certainly prettier, and aesthetics play a large role in our enjoyment of firearms, whether we want to admit it or not.
    Regarding reloading, I'm unsure if the AR has similar limitations as the M1 Garand has, but I suspect that the manuals recommend against using certain slow burn rate powders that could damage the operating system due to sustained high pressures, as the Garand is.
    The AR-15's fixed gas tube with with fixed piston within the moving cylinder formed by the bolt carrier is far more tolerant of pressure differences than op-rod piston semi-autos.
    The bolt action or single shot has no such issues, as long as the powder is in the manual for a given caliber.
    If you feed any rifle a steady diet of max or over pressure ammo you're accelerating wear. I've seen plenty of bolts and single shots with sticky actions, sticky extraction, and stuck cases from firing high pressure ammo.
    The AR is also far more complicated,

It's really not. It's a very simple design that's easily maintained, cleaned, and even upgraded.
    has a gas system to clean,
    The gas tube is self cleaning - it is really is. The primary part of the gas system is in the bolt, and that's no harder to clean than any other semi-auto's bolt, plus there's no op-rod piston to clean.
    and (in its most common form, although I've seen flat top variations) has a high sight plane that makes sighting in a bit more complex and troublesome.
    Even with flat tops the sight plane is still high because there is no drop on the stock's comb. Contrary to your assertion that doesn't make sighting in complex or troublesome.
    Regarding home defense, I'll stick to my third generation S&W auto pistol or Remington 870, although an AR with varmint bullets would certainly be formidable for that purpose, too, but I just can't see getting a gun that I would use for one purpose only when I can and often do carry my S&W and hunt with my 870.
    Again, you aren't limited to .223 Rem / 5.56 NATO in an AR. Also, again, if Indiana DNR would look at real world performance in states like Georgia where 22 caliber or larger centerfire is legal for deer they'd see that .223 Rem is a legitimate deer cartridge. Of course, if IN DNR allows all .243 and larger bullet cartridges that meet minimum case length this coming season then .300 BLK and 6.8 SPC II are readily available. That doesn't even go into the AR-10/SR-25 pattern rifles that can fire any .308 based cartridge.

Overall, I think you've assumed many things that aren't true, and are misinformed about a few others when it comes to AR type rifles.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I wont flame you, but i will offer a different opinion.

Overall, I think you've assumed many things that aren't true, and are misinformed about a few others when it comes to AR type rifles.
    When did Eugene Stoner join INGO? :):

That has to be the longest defense of the AR platform in this thread - no one will ever accuse you of posting one liners.

UGaARguy

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 8, 2015
    Lawrence County
    He is making a run for the classifieds
    No, but I am trying to get to 50 posts so I can PM the other folks in MSG-3. However, I'm not going to make lots of posts that don't contribute to the discussion just to do that. I'm a mod over at THR, so I'm all too familiar with folks making one liners (heck, one worders) just so they can use our trading post. I'll give your house the same respect I hope others give mine.

When did Eugene Stoner join INGO? :):
    8 Jan 2015 ;)

packard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    The only caliber I would be interested in is the 458 socom, but since I already have a 45-70 that's covered. For longer ranges I have a M1A.

N_K_1984

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    54   0   0
    Dec 15, 2009
    AR15s are yucky, and they poo where the eat! Plus they have 30 caliber clips that shoot 30 rounds in half a second! I can't afford that!!!! ((Implied purple) posting from an iPhone makes font changes difficult.)

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Michael.
    Top Bottom