• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Uralguy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 31, 2009
    Kokomo
    We are on our fourth. All great dogs. Very loyal. Blanket stealing cover hogs. They can sneak up on a bed and push you out and never wake you up.

Last edited:

42769vette

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Oct 6, 2008
    south of richmond in
    pits are great dogs if they are raised right and have the right owners. if they are brought up wrong they are horible dogs. i have a 1/2 pit now and it would not hurt a fly.

Andre46996

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 3, 2010
    Hammond
    Mine just killed half a bag of Doritos with me.... That's how you know I love her I do NOT share my Doritos with anybody...

I know she would give her life to protect me there are many times living in the country I have to grab her and literally throw her back in the house when something outside spooks the horses or chickens for fear she would attack an entire pack of wild dogs/coyotes to protect her chickens, horses or me.

She runs the birds around and barks at them but has never hurt them, even when the rooster attacked her she just went down into a defensive crouch and barked. She is the protector of my home and property.

I will say they become VERY attached, mine has abandonment issues so now she has to be locked in her kennel in the house while I am gone, she apparently was mad and ate my recliner to get even for leaving her alone all day. When I am away for work she stays with my parents who live about 1/4 mile away, when I get home I call my mom and tell her to let her out, and I call her name. She comes running across the pasture and almost leaps into my arms.

Wabatuckian

Smith-Sights.com
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 9, 2008
    Wabash
    High energy dogs that are fiercely loyal and eager to please.

I like them. Most I've met are very friendly and usually very intelligent. The ones that aren't friendly usually are just nervous and become friendly given time. Same with Rotts. But I've always preferred German Shepherds and wolves.

They require a lot of attention and a firm hand. They will test you. But if you pass the test, they're worth it.

I've never seen a bad dog or a dog that's beyond redemption.

Josh

Mokkie

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 7, 2010
    I have had and been around a lot of different breeds of dogs in my life. I have found that its not the breed thats bad its the owner that turns the dog bad either thru bad breeding or handling of the dog. There are good dog breeders bad dog breeders good dog trainers and bad dog trainers. Look around and you can see the good and bad.

kblazer87

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 30, 2009
    Lawrenceburg
    Put me down as a fan of the breed. Have 2 at the house right now. Mine and my daughters. (as well as a great dane and a lab/australian sheperd mix).
    Oone of the most loyal and loving breeds going.

TRLREDY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I've been attacked several times while out delivering. Luckily no scars....just some scraps/bruises so far. I'll go along with the "it is all in how they are raised" theory. All occured while I was in "the hood" except for one instance.

hc4sar

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2009
    cent IN.
    My wifes young'un has a female that is a class 1 wuss and lap dog. just don't try to get in her house after dark without life insurance for shure!

irishfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 30, 2009
    in your head
    We had a pit in college and it was a great dog. He was friendly to everybody and other dogs but I attribute that to how we treated him. He always had attention from at least one of the 4-6 people who lived in the house as well as our friends. If you do not have the time to give them attention and take them for walks and play then I would not get one. If you have plenty of time to play and also can bring the dog around other people often as it grows then you can't get much better than a pit.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    We had a pit in college and it was a great dog. He was friendly to everybody and other dogs but I attribute that to how we treated him. He always had attention from at least one of the 4-6 people who lived in the house as well as our friends. If you do not have the time to give them attention and take them for walks and play then I would not get one. If you have plenty of time to play and also can bring the dog around other people often as it grows then you can't get much better than a pit.

Doesn't that go for any dog...Especially large, alpha breeds?

My puppy is a completely different dog when he doesn't get a nice walk + attention(playing fetch + learning/doing tricks) every day.

lyric911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Anderson
    1. My uncle had one, great dog. But I met him in his older years (the dog).
    2. I've treated several patients over the last 10 years attacked and bitten by these animals. (way more than other breeds, not including police dog bites :D )
    3. Pits make up < 10% of dog breeds in this country, however are responsible for over 90% of the dog to-human fatalities. Some of it is in the breed, but most of it is in the owner as well.
    4. The breed is originally from England, where they are now outlawed.

Pet Pitbull - Find the Pit Bull

I'd be willing to wager that the 90% rule is elevated much like all guns are AKs or Glocks according to news reporters.

bonzaiberger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2009
    Milan
    I know right?! I swear the anti pit people are just like the anti gun people! I just tell them " don't worry, I won't let my facts get in the way of your opinions!":n00b: Oh, btw, I don't know if it's because I'm at work and it's blocked but I can't see pics and can't figure out how to post pics:dunno:

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    known more pits and pit mixes who have attacked and caused damage.
    Also know of families that keep them as pets.

All in how they are raised and trained. The ones who have attacked were chained to a tree or left to run lose. The pets were just that, pets and trained to know who was NOT alpha.

Still not a breed of dog I would own, but I like my bassets. :D

Packin-Heat

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2009
    Avon, Indiana
    We have a pitbull (3 year old female). Great dog if trained correctly. My girls play hide and go seek with ours if that tells you anything. When the wife starts cooking she goes to her bed, she knows if she doesn't beg she gets to have some people food after the kids and me and the wife are done eating. First 2 years are going to be rough, they like to chew and are very energetic puppies. I recommend obedience classes, and a Kong ball.
    A DOG IS A REFLECTION OF ITS OWNER, if you teach it to be friendly it will, on the other hand if you teach it to be aggressive IT WILL!
    If you choose to get one please take the time to train her or him correctly

Top Bottom