Who gets the electricity and who makes the decision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • XDdreams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Interesting question. Could this person decide "who" gets priority in scarcity situations and who doesn't?

Would they have to justify it in some type of terms?

-Economic contribution to local industry
    -Perceived value to society
    -Social status
    -Essential workers

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    A day doesn't go by without something said about the grid, but I've never heard what happens when demand passes supply and who gets what. I know you just can't reduce voltage and spread it around so is there some sort of "electrical czar" who decides between light and dark?
    Why do you think that at first they just don't reduce voltage to the consumer?

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Anyone with the extra box on their ac or power company provided smart thermostat is probably front of the line*

*they offer it as a discount usually for like 20 bucks a year.

Somone in a nice office with air conditioning monitoring how much power an area is using decides to disable your compressor for a few minutes here and there.

racegunz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 6, 2015
    Indiana
    For all the inefficiency of solar power, it’s the best (in my opinion) for such possibilities. A 10k watt system will bridge the gap for brownouts and with planning get you by in the zombie apocalypse. Another upside is reducing your current bill and not having to store fuel that will run out in a few weeks at best. Ymmv.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    We are just a major cyber attack away from EVERYONE losing power, for a LONG time.

It's also quite possible to knock out the majority of power in the 48 states with a coordinated physical attack on multiple substations.

I won't be surprised at all if the power goes out soon, and doesn't come back on for a long time.

XDdreams

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 12, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We are just a major cyber attack away from EVERYONE losing power, for a LONG time.

It's also quite possible to knock out the majority of power in the 48 states with a coordinated physical attack on multiple substations.

I won't be surprised at all if the power goes out soon, and doesn't come back on for a long time.
    It's been stated multiple times that Chinese/Russian hackers have already gained entry into our infrastructure systems and are lying in wait. Just a matter of when they get their orders to flip the switch.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

If that happens, we'll be rolling coal through the fields to Greentown.
    We will bring lots of fuel, food and fun with us.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    For all the inefficiency of solar power, it’s the best (in my opinion) for such possibilities. A 10k watt system will bridge the gap for brownouts and with planning get you by in the zombie apocalypse. Another upside is reducing your current bill and not having to store fuel that will run out in a few weeks at best. Ymmv.

Plus solar is much lower profile than generators. You could hide those if necessary. I could see .gov pulling a Katrina-esque roundup of generators to get those in the hands of those they deem more worthy of power. (Like they confiscated guns "for safety") Or neighbors that think they deserve it more.

And it might not be the commies that do it. We are nearing the end of the Solar Maximum cycle and as you may have noticed the sun is getting mighty sporty recently. And its expected to get worse. It should calm down by June of 2026.

On top of the doozie that hit us and gave us Aurora conditions a bit ago, they observed a huge CME that luckily was facing away from the earth when it blew. Big enough that although we didnt get hit by the blast, it was still enough to make GPS go a little wonky and kill the ham radio bands. So big that even though it wasn't even a glancing blow, there was enough energy at the extreme edges to still give us problems.

A direct hit from a big CME like that could cause a Carrington Event Part II Electric Boogaloo for at least whatever hemisphere was pointed at the sun when it hits. Taking down power lines, blowing countless transformers, etc. And some of the transformers you cant just throw together. There is one monster that they use that under normal conditions takes 18 months to get. So pretty much TEOTWAWKI. Even on the far side of the earth from the hit life would change due to supply chains, global political power shifts, etc.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    Plus solar is much lower profile than generators. You could hide those if necessary. I could see .gov pulling a Katrina-esque roundup of generators to get those in the hands of those they deem more worthy of power. (Like they confiscated guns "for safety") Or neighbors that think they deserve it more.

And it might not be the commies that do it. We are nearing the end of the Solar Maximum cycle and as you may have noticed the sun is getting mighty sporty recently. And its expected to get worse. It should calm down by June of 2026.

On top of the doozie that hit us and gave us Aurora conditions a bit ago, they observed a huge CME that luckily was facing away from the earth when it blew. Big enough that although we didnt get hit by the blast, it was still enough to make GPS go a little wonky and kill the ham radio bands. So big that even though it wasn't even a glancing blow, there was enough energy at the extreme edges to still give us problems.

A direct hit from a big CME like that could cause a Carrington Event Part II Electric Boogaloo for at least whatever hemisphere was pointed at the sun when it hits. Taking down power lines, blowing countless transformers, etc. And some of the transformers you cant just throw together. There is one monster that they use that under normal conditions takes 18 months to get. So pretty much TEOTWAWKI. Even on the far side of the earth from the hit life would change due to supply chains, global political power shifts, etc.
    It's a matter of when, not if, something like the Carrington event occurs again. It might be decades, or even centuries. It might happen in the next few months (as you pointed out, the sun is going through it's solar maximum, increasing this likelihood). It WILL happen at some point.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    It's a matter of when, not if, something like the Carrington event occurs again. It might be decades, or even centuries. It might happen in the next few months (as you pointed out, the sun is going through it's solar maximum, increasing this likelihood). It WILL happen at some point.
    Yep. its like a guy on a merry go round firing a gun outward randomly and repeatedly. He may not hit a bystander right away, but eventually the trigger is gonna get pulled when its pointed in the right direction, and somebody is gonna get hit.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Anyone with the extra box on their ac or power company provided smart thermostat is probably front of the line*

*they offer it as a discount usually for like 20 bucks a year.

Somone in a nice office with air conditioning monitoring how much power an area is using decides to disable your compressor for a few minutes here and there.
    Why do you think that at first they just don't reduce voltage to the consumer?

I remember from my mexico manufacturing days that reduced voltages are hard on electric motors. I would imagine that you can only get away with this to a certain degree. Magyars mentioned brownouts and I remember those, are computers different than industrial motors? Do they continue to work reliably if line voltage drops?

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I remember from my mexico manufacturing days that reduced voltages are hard on electric motors. I would imagine that you can only get away with this to a certain degree. Magyars mentioned brownouts and I remember those, are computers different than industrial motors? Do they continue to work reliably if line voltage drops?
    Yes, dropping voltage in significant number is hard on elec motors and electronics. Some things can take a pretty wide up and down with voltage some stuff cant. I'm sure a few of the IT guys here will chime in.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes, dropping voltage in significant number is hard on elec motors and electronics. Some things can take a pretty wide up and down with voltage some stuff cant. I'm sure a few of the IT guys here will chime in.
    voltage dips cause weirdness in computers. Thats why a UPS will boost your voltage to keep things behind them running happy.
    Though some things will still run fine at lower voltages. I had a CCTV camera back in the day that was rated at 24VDC Passive PoE. But when I talked to the manufacturer, they said it would run just fine down to about 10.5v. So you could easily power it with a car battery. I suspect the 24v was because they also made a lot of other gear that also used the same PSU.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Notice which geographic area is at high risk of electrical supply short falls...

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    I will be willing to bet a dollar or two that politicians will be a part of the essential group that will not have power reduced.
    The Eastern Patrician Elite got their "zero carbon" electricity supplies (read "nuclear plants") permitted and in the bag before Three Mile Island occurred.

Those of us out here in Country Bump Land got ours canceled.

The elites will suffer not one whit.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Hendricks County
    I will be willing to bet a dollar or two that politicians will be a part of the essential group that will not have power reduced.
    If you are white, straight, conservative and christian, you will be first to be cut. Everyone else, including illegals will remain on the full grid.

Top Bottom