• ...and so much more!
  • Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?

firecadet613

Master
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   1
    Dec 24, 2012
    My wife's cousin is a liberal teacher here in Indiana. My wife and I have been in a text battle with her regarding guns since this last school shooting happened.Which we agree is horrible. She just posted this. What can I reply with? She writes. " The problem is that private gun dealers don't have to follow the background check laws. Anyone 18 and over can buy a semi automatic weapon" How can I counter that?
    Every "gun dealer" has to follow background check laws. A private individual occasionally selling one of their own guns, does not.

But, I agree with the post above. You'll likely never change her mind...

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    You need to accept you can't change her mind. You can't reason a person out of something they didn't reason themselves into. Trying to change her mind will only damage the relationship. Just simply don't engage with her on this subject.

Thank you. That logic makes sense. Which is the point we are both now at.Just wanted some like minded folks opinion on the matter.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You need to accept you can't change her mind. You can't reason a person out of something they didn't reason themselves into. Trying to change her mind will only damage the relationship. Just simply don't engage with her on this subject.
    Yep. Just unfriended a cousin I havent seen or talked to with my voice since I think July of '09. Because she just pops up on FB griefing me every 4 years defending the current dem prez candidate. When I try to debate facts, she disengages with a lame excuse. The last lame excuse was "I just got out of the hospital, I'm not feeling up to discussing anymore. Love ya cuz!"

18 hours later at 1:45am she re-engages on a different topic with Big Mike as the photo. "what is your infatuation with her?!?!?"

I quietly unfriended. I dont need that drama without any fun positives. She never engages on any other topic. No likes, laughs, "thats funny". Nothing.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I agree with the above that you likely won't change her mind. My sister is a high school teacher and is dead set against teachers having guns in schools because she admits that she would be unable to take the life of one of her students, even if that student was actively killing classmates in her room. You can't reason with that kind of thinking.

But if you want to try, ask her if she was aware that Indiana used to have a universal background check law on the books for more than 20 years. It was repealed at the end of the 1990s because not a single person had been arrested (nevermind convicted) for illegally selling a gun privately without a background check. It is completely unenforceable without a government gun registry which is unconstitutional.

Last edited:

2tonic

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    N.W. Disillusionment

A can of gas and a rag.

Winamac

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 11, 2011
    Logansport
    Tell her if you democrats would just stop shooting people, it really wouldn't be the problem it is today.
    And the bulk of shootings and gun deaths happen in Democrat run city's that have the most stringent gun laws already in our country.
    You must remember she is a liberal demorat. Facts mean nothing to them.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    I have them in my family, but they don't engage with the rest of us over the 1st and 2nd Amendment conversations.
    We are from Maryland, they have about the most stringent anti gun laws in the USA.

If they don't want to believe facts, your wasting your breath.

JTKelly

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Disown them and block their phone number.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Don’t feed the trolls , you can not reason with a closed mind.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Do not accept the premise of their questions. Don’t answer theirs, ask your own. For example: Why is it when a cop shoots a black man we don’t blame the gun but we do when a leftist shoots up a school?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yep. My older sister's boyfriend is old enough to know better, but he is still a democrat. He swears he is an independent, but he's really just afraid to admit he is one because his views align perfectly with them. No amount of fact will change them. Numerous times on FB I have obliterated his position and made him admit that the facts are correct and even though they destroy his policy ideas, he usually falls back to "Im sure there is a way." and continues to ignore reality. So I refuse to talk politics with him.

And it was hilarious on an hour long car ride with him and my sister's VERY Libertarian friend. (after the above decision) Every policy conversation his position was OBLITERATED and proven to be unworkable. I just sat there silently because he was already getting his butt handed to him, so I felt bad ganging up. An honest intellectual thinking man would have changed his position on multiple topics that day after those mental floggings. But he didnt.

I say that he is old enough to know better since he is in his upper 60s.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Yep. Just unfriended a cousin I havent seen or talked to with my voice since I think July of '09. Because she just pops up on FB griefing me every 4 years defending the current dem prez candidate. When I try to debate facts, she disengages with a lame excuse. The last lame excuse was "I just got out of the hospital, I'm not feeling up to discussing anymore. Love ya cuz!"

18 hours later at 1:45am she re-engages on a different topic with Big Mike as the photo. "what is your infatuation with her?!?!?"

I quietly unfriended. I dont need that drama without any fun positives. She never engages on any other topic. No likes, laughs, "thats funny". Nothing.
    For those types of reasons you stated, i changed my fb name from my real name years ago. I'm not dealing with friends n family crap...i can make enough of it on my own.
    Your reply needs to be somewhere along the line of it's the lazy parents allowing thing to happen and they don't care. You can't discipline a child like you used to, ..i for 1 think the state needs to stay outa families lives unless a child actually is being seriously hurt. The mentality of the newer generations say they don't want their kids to grow up like they did! No wonder they are fat an lazy. They are not taught any responsibility or discipline. As soon as they are in the middle teen years or about to be "adults" and on their own, they do seriously stupid stuff, end up in jail and the parents either say they should have known better or my kid wouldn't do that, they are good kids.

gassprint1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I once wasted 2 and a half precious days of vacation with my favorite aunt trying to bring my favorite russki to light on this subject. Never again.

Ironically enough, she called me a couple of years ago, to help her value her deceased husband's guns.
    You should've told her you'd be over fast to get those bad things outa her house.

Top Bottom