Who gets the electricity and who makes the decision?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Keith_Indy

Master
    Rating - 95.2%
    20   1   0
    Mar 10, 2009
    Noblesville

Any potential blackouts in this area would be controlled by the Mid-continent Independent System Operator, or MISO. MISO operates the power grid for 15 states.

Duke Energy spokesperson McKenzie Barbknecht says if MISO decides a blackout is necessary, Duke Energy will work to keep the impact isolated.

"In an instance like that, we would work to make sure power outages were as limited in duration as possible,” Barbknecht said. “We would also take steps again to ensure that critical care facilities like hospitals, like water pumping stations aren't affected."

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I've got a generator that runs off the propane tank so I'm good for a while. I know people who are real pros with solar stuff, really need to take a look at that as well.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    There is no reason to speculate (who controls the distribution of electricity?) when it's a simple and public fact. MISO controls the grid for Indiana and a large chuck of North American. See the map at the Wikipedia link. See more information on MISO's site.

It's a very tricky business to manage when even a single major transmission line is approaching maximum capacity. With a combination of automatic cutoffs and manual controls, it's easy to create a domino effect of failures across the grid during very high demand, taking a much longer time to bring transmission lines, loads, and power stations back online with the required coordination.

They'd probably develop some plan for prioritization and scheduling of rolling blackouts if we had a chronic shortfall in electrical power like South Africa. Under current operations I can't see them having any time to factor any kind of favoritism into decisions, beyond maintaining external power to nuclear power stations. They are way more concerned with not triggering that domino effect, and if it starts getting that bad they are most concerned about creating blackouts anywhere necessary if it prevents physical damage to transmission lines and power stations that could take weeks to repair.

mike4

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 23, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Acknowledgement to Keith_Indy on the prior MISO reference. I read through the whole thread but somehow when I clicked through to page 2, the top of the scroll window advanced down to post #24.

Brian's Surplus

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 18, 2016
    Howard County
    I dozed off on the couch yesterday morning and woke up when the generator kicked on. My first thought was , I wonder if this is it? A quick check of the Duke Energy site told me it was local, only 492 locations were affected, including all 3 of my accounts. I actually had to get out a diesel generator for the store, since I don't have a hard wired generator connected there. Power was only out for a couple hours, but I was sort of thankful for the unscheduled drill. It helps to keep me on my toes. I sleep a little better at night knowing that everything works the way it's supposed to.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Anyone with the extra box on their ac or power company provided smart thermostat is probably front of the line*

*they offer it as a discount usually for like 20 bucks a year.

Somone in a nice office with air conditioning monitoring how much power an area is using decides to disable your compressor for a few minutes here and there.
    Wisconsin electric, around the Point Beach Nuclear station had people put boxes on the hot water heaters. If there was a short term peak load, they dropped out your water heater. It worked pretty good, being as you still had 40 gallons of usable hot water.

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    Wisconsin electric, around the Point Beach Nuclear station had people put boxes on the hot water heaters. If there was a short term peak load, they dropped out your water heater. It worked pretty good, being as you still had 40 gallons of usable hot water.
    Sounds better than the ac but I'd tell em no either way

Top Bottom