• ...and so much more!
  • Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Any of you carry a Taser?
    Im not asking LEOs (unless LEOs can carry their x26 off-duty :dunno:).

Im just curious, I know many carry pepper spray as their non-lethal weapon, maybe carrying a handgun AND a taser is just too bukly.
    Maybe some of you just carry a Taser.

Also from what I understand a Taser is a handgun according to the IC, so you need a LTCH to carry it.Therefore I dont think that anybody carry one because they cant carry a gun.
    Or maybe for someone who can have his LTCH but dont want to moraly have to use a deadly weapon on someone. :dunno:

IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and
    (2) used for the purpose of temporarily incapacitating a person.

IC 35-47-8-4
    Applicability of handgun provisions
    Sec. 4. IC 35-47-2 applies to an electronic stun weapon or taser.

IC 35-47-2
    Chapter 2. Regulation of Handguns

Also can non-LEOs buy a Taser x26 in the US or can they just buy the C2 model?

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    I've wondered this as well.

Funny thing is, the city of South Bend has outlawed tasers.

Might see if Frosty feels like organizing an OC taser event up here sometime to educate them :laugh:

gungirl65

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 11, 2011
    Richmond
    I have a taser flashlight but I don't carry it around with me.

255412_4146407420595_872452797_n.jpg

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    My wife has one and keeps it in her purse with a Ruger Tornado pepper spray. Does not want to carry.

As I understand the IC one needs to have a LTCH in the state of IN to carry a taser, does she have one?

To the OP, tell you what, I have a slow work day tomorrow, I will call IPD and ask....not that that will really mean anything...

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't carry a Taser unless you are also carrying a pair of handcuffs. If you want less-than-lethal, go with OC or OC/CS spray. When you taze someone, the effect wears off as soon as you stop the deployment. Although the attacker will be "stunned," he's able to fight. If you hit someone with a burst of pepper spray (and it works), they will be in intense pain for 45 minutes (maybe longer, maybe not), and may have difficulty breathing. Note: the attacker can breathe, but they think they can't and often panic. This gives you the chance to retreat to safety. Many brands of OC contain a dye that allows law enforcement to identify the attacker should he be apprehended.

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    When I used to ride an ambulance we picked up a kid that had been pepper sprayed. I've never seen that much snot, saliva, and tears in my life.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    I wouldn't carry a Taser unless you are also carrying a pair of handcuffs. If you want less-than-lethal, go with OC or OC/CS spray. When you taze someone, the effect wears off as soon as you stop the deployment. Although the attacker will be "stunned," he's able to fight. If you hit someone with a burst of pepper spray (and it works), they will be in intense pain for 45 minutes (maybe longer, maybe not), and may have difficulty breathing. Note: the attacker can breathe, but they think they can't and often panic. This gives you the chance to retreat to safety. Many brands of OC contain a dye that allows law enforcement to identify the attacker should he be apprehended.

I wouldn't carry handcuffs unless you are a cop and I wouldn't try to handcuff anyone that is a threat to you.You want to get AWAY from the threat, not get TOWARDS it.
    LEOs can handcuff people because they usually have a few buddies behind them, they all wear body armor and are trained to handcuff people.
    If you are alone dont get anywhere near the person that you just tased.
    You could easily get stabbed or shot as the BG gets up.

The Taser C2 is meant to deliver a 30 seconds burst once you hit your target.The burst will keep going if you drop the Taser and it's actually meant to be dropped as you get away.
    You can cover a very big distance in 30 seconds if you run.
    Then I believe if you used your Taser in a self defense situation, left it behind you and provide Taser Inc. a copy of your police report they will send you another C2 to replace the one you lost at no cost.

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    Hm... In the IC tasers are considered handguns (info gathered from OP) so then by the State law (the same one in the TF/Evansville incident), South Bend can't legally ban tasers?

Educate me.

Yeah im thinking the same.
    Since you have a licence from the state to carry one I dont see how they can prevent you from doing so.

It would be just like saying that you cant drive in South Bend with your Indiana drivers licence.

:dunno:

Raskolnikov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 24, 2012
    Indianapolis
    I wouldn't carry handcuffs unless you are a cop and I wouldn't try to handcuff anyone that is a threat to you.You want to get AWAY from the threat, not get TOWARDS it.
    LEOs can handcuff people because they usually have a few buddies behind them, they all wear body armor and are trained to handcuff people.
    If you are alone dont get anywhere near the person that you just tased.
    You could easily get stabbed or shot as the BG gets up.

The Taser C2 is meant to deliver a 30 seconds burst once you hit your target.The burst will keep going if you drop the Taser and it's actually meant to be dropped as you get away.
    You can cover a very big distance in 30 seconds if you run.
    Then I believe if you used your Taser in a self defense situation, left it behind you and provide Taser Inc. a copy of your police report they will send you another C2 to replace the one you lost at no cost.

I wasn't advocating that non-law enforcement officers carry handcuff, I was only trying to highlight the fact that a Taser is mainly a tool of compliance. I was not aware of the C2 model and its functions that can allow a victim to flee.

Fine, go ahead and carry one. You're throwing away a bunch of money-- when you can effectively eliminate most close-range human threats with OC (non-lethally).

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Also from what I understand a Taser is a handgun according to the IC, so you need a LTCH to carry it.

A Taser or an "electronic stun weapon" is not a handgun per IC, although they do fall under the same code requiring a LTCH to carry. The legislature could pass a law requiring you to have a LTCH to carry OC or a knife with a blade bigger than x. That doesn't make them handguns though. Per IC a handgun is
    IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.
    A firearm is
    IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm" Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    Indiana Code 35-47-1
    Neither a Taser or an "electronic stun weapon" fire projectiles by means of an explosion. Heck an "electronic stun weapon" doesn't even have projectiles.

Educate me.

Consider yourself educated. :): But a diploma will cost you $37.50 plus S/H.

Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 6, 2012
    Mishawaka
    A Taser or an "electronic stun weapon" is not a handgun per IC, although they do fall under the same code requiring a LTCH to carry. The legislature could pass a law requiring you to have a LTCH to carry OC or a knife with a blade bigger than x. That doesn't make them handguns though. Per IC a handgun is

A firearm is

Indiana Code 35-47-1
    Neither a Taser or an "electronic stun weapon" fire projectiles by means of an explosion. Heck an "electronic stun weapon" doesn't even have projectiles.

Consider yourself educated. :): But a diploma will cost you $37.50 plus S/H.

An electronic stun GUN has projectiles though..

So how would it play out ? If I have my LTCH and I carry a tazer (since I am doing so legally, per IC) can South Bend enact more restrictive provisions?

Where's Guy when we need him :D

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    An electronic stun GUN has projectiles though..

So how would it play out ? If I have my LTCH and I carry a tazer (since I am doing so legally, per IC) can South Bend enact more restrictive provisions?

Where's Guy when we need him :D

Nope an electronic stun gun doesn't have projectiles per IC, if it has projectiles it is a taser.
    IC 35-47-8-2
    "Stun gun" defined
    Sec. 2. As used in this chapter, "stun gun" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge that equals or does not exceed the equivalency of a five (5) milliamp sixty (60) hertz shock; and
    IC 35-47-8-3
    "Taser" defined
    Sec. 3. As used in this chapter, "taser" means any mechanism that is:
    (1) designed to emit an electronic, magnetic, or other type of charge or shock through the use of a projectile; and
    As added by P.L.318-1985, SEC.3.
    And since the preemption law specificially lists firearms, ammo and firearm accessories I would bet they would be allowed to do so.

Unless perhaps you had a taser/stun whatever mounted under your gun like a light or bayonet. Would that be considered an accessory? :) And I just thought of something, the preemption law might be a good way to get around the knife restrictions some localities have. It's not a knife it's a bayonet. :rockwoot:

IANAL/TINLA

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    I was only trying to highlight the fact that a Taser is mainly a tool of compliance. I was not aware of the C2 model and its functions that can allow a victim to flee.

I'm old and fat; I can't get very far in 30 seconds. I'm a lot faster than my wife.

No dice.

Top Bottom