• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • freekforge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jul 20, 2012
    marion
    Become more familiar with your firearm and eventually you will feel even more uncomfortable without one chambered. Also the majority of malfunctions occur while the slide is in motion so why risk causing a malfunction by manually racking the slide.

Aaron1776

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Indianapolis
    BOOO!!! :noway: :noway: :noway:

I train, compete and carry cocked and locked. It is the best method FOR ME.

Me too!!!!

do u shoot sideways too?

lol hilarious

I carry a M&P9c day in day out. Loaded to the max. Full mag w/ one in pipe. I carry in a Fobus paddle. No problems. As mentioned.....training. If nothing else get a "snap cap" and put in the chamber and use as a tool to see that you will not have a ND.
    :twocents:

Be careful here. Double stack high-cap mags like our M&Ps can cause malfunctions when fully loaded with one in the pipe. You're chancing a nasty type three. I've seen guys load up their mags to capacity during training and then wonder why they were jamming. This is especially true with new mags and AR-15s (The AR-15 I've done myself)

Who carries with an empty chamber?

Those that have not taken the time to understand their weapon and those that are willing to rely on the goodwill of thugs.

:yesway::yesway::yesway:

Get some training. You'll feel better.

Burnsy

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 6, 2012
    NW Indiana
    Be careful here. Double stack high-cap mags like our M&Ps can cause malfunctions when fully loaded with one in the pipe. You're chancing a nasty type three. I've seen guys load up their mags to capacity during training and then wonder why they were jamming. This is especially true with new mags and AR-15s (The AR-15 I've done myself)

I have shot several thousand rounds through my glock 21 double stacked mags loaded fully and have experienced 0 malfunctions. This in untrue with pistols in my experience.

MrHawkins

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    Gen4 glock 17 here. Scared with mine when my daughter hugs my leg and her head is 3" from the barrel. So I say no. I'll take the chances of being shot before I watch my daughter go in front of me because of nd

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Try starting with having your handgun lying around the house with one in the chamber. Then start carrying it the same. Thats how I got over the deal. My carry sits by my bed at night so its always ready to go.

I would strongly recommend against this. Unless you live alone and never have any visitors, i would never leave a load gun laying around the house unattended.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    Well I assume this is only for those who live alone or keep their loaded guns in a place where little kids can't get to.

kickbacked

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2010
    Well I assume this is only for those who live alone or keep their loaded guns in a place where little kids can't get to.

assuming is dangerous, especially since as far as i know the o.p. never shared his living arrangements. Kids can and will get into most anything.

EAS

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 4, 2012
    Crawfordsville
    I felt the same way when I started carrying. I also worried about who could see that I was carrying. After a while you become more comfortable with your gun and it becomes a part of you. Training is a good start to be familiar with your gun. Learn as much as possible about your gun.

bluestanger66

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    With more training you will feel more comfortable. Personally, I don't think it is a great idea to have a gun without having one in the chamber. If you have to use it there is not much time to rack a round.

Sharpie

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 19, 2013
    Be careful here. Double stack high-cap mags like our M&Ps can cause malfunctions when fully loaded with one in the pipe. You're chancing a nasty type three. I've seen guys load up their mags to capacity during training and then wonder why they were jamming.

Must be an M&P thing. This has never happened with any of my Glocks, and I've been carrying them for about 20 years now.

As for the wisdom of carrying without one in the chamber, I'm just going to leave this here:

LiveLeak.com - Jewelery Store Shooting in Agra

This jewelry store owner was right. Carrying without one in the chamber is much safer.

For the bad guy.

92LX

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 20, 2012
    If you can rack the slide while using your off hand to protect your head or fight off an attacker, I commend you.

Or keep a loved one in out of the line of fire. I almost always have my oldest with me when performing land lord duties, sometimes in nasty areas. If I have to hold him in cover, or push out of the way, I don't want to try to hop on one foot while trying to rack the slide on by boot heel. I sure am not going to use my belt and risk pointing the gun at my kid.

A weapon (tool) not ready to fight (use) when you need to fight(drill a few well placed holes) is a poor weapon(tool).

Last edited:

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    Sorry for the newb question but what's a "type 3"?

Glad I bought a Beretta. :)

Double feed.

And I have never found this to be an issue from loading to "full capacity" in ANY pisol I've ever owned, carried or fired. This is right up there with the old wives tale of downloading mags by one or two rounds to "save the springs". Quality modern pistols are designed to, and will function 100% when loaded to capacity.

PX4me

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2013
    Dyer
    Double feed.

And I have never found this to be an issue from loading to "full capacity" in ANY pisol I've ever owned, carried or fired. This is right up there with the old wives tale of downloading mags by one or two rounds to "save the springs". Quality modern pistols are designed to, and will function 100% when loaded to capacity.

Thanks for the reply. I'm glad to hear someone speak within reason. :)

I don't quite follow the opinion that a gun won't operate within its design. If it's made for 17+1 then that's how it should be run. I know my PX4 has done just fine so far.

If there are makes that can't deal with their own design then maybe it's time to rethink your choice of firearm.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Try starting with having your handgun lying around the house with one in the chamber. Then start carrying it the same. Thats how I got over the deal. My carry sits by my bed at night so its always ready to go.

I feel safer with my pistol in the holster than laying on the table...when there are other folks around, be they gun savvy or not..

Top Bottom